What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

2046 coming out this week (1 Viewer)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
But Face also released an excellent theatrical version of "HERO" on DVD, nearly matching the R3 in picture quality and far exceeding the quality of their "extended version" DVD.

So, there's hope!

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
Hmmmmm, I dunno. I really want to see this movie since I saw the trailer in Hong Kong.

I think I'll wait for the Hong Kong R3 version, since Hero R3 was great.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Me, too... but I'm glad someone else volunteered to pony up the dough and see! :b

And you *must* report back! :emoji_thumbsup:

I think I'll just get the standard version. (Around US$5 plus shipping from all good Hong Kong based DVD retailers.) I'm not quite yet at the stage where I need a booklet in a language I don't understand to accompany my DVDs. Plus, there's still the negative reviews of the Cannes version haunting the film, making me reluctant to spend more than a fiver on it right now.

Later.

Runar_R

Second Unit
It doesn't really make sense that the limited version would be NTSC and the others PAL, but who knows.....

Oh, and that page confirmed one thing I feared:

The annoying FACE-logo pops up during the film!!!!
AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! !!!
:angry:

Matt_P

Second Unit
I really really want to see this, but I think I'll wait for the official HK release, which should be better than the Face disc...any word on its release date?

Nice Chungking Express sig, ThomasC.

jason:g

Stunt Coordinator

Not the same Tony Leung, but another guy (who starred in "DRAGON INN" and "THE LOVER"...)

Runar_R

Second Unit
Got my copy of the 'limited edition' in the mail today. Here's my Review (or to be more precise: Warning)

Don't Even Consider Buying This!!!!

There. That should be enough. Or maybe you want details?

Ok.

Let's start with the positive. The little I heard of the audio was quite good.

Onto the negative sides:

The image to me seems quite soft.
The blacks are more greys than solid black.

See, I could have accepted this. It would've annoyed me, but I have been waiting a looooong time for this film.
So why did I turn it off after 15-20 miutes and fling the disc across the room (literally!)?
Well, some of you might have in your posession the 'Extended' version of Hero that Face released. Remember how annoying that Face logo that popped up every 10 minutes or so was? Well, the geniuses behind that logo has redesigned it. Call it "Face logo ver 2.1". Now it's animated. I'm not kidding.... It starts in the upper right corner of the screen and slides to the left corner. But wait! There's more! Under the face logo some chinese writing appear. It shows up in 2 parts. One part starts up in the lower right corner of the screen and slides up under the face logo in the upper left corner. The other part starts up in the lower right corner and slides up to the face logo in upper left corner. "Doesn't that mean it crosses over the entire film-image" I hear you ask.
THAT'S EXACTLY RIGHT!!!!!!! Every 10 minutes or so bright yellow letters fly across the screen.....
AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

So now here I am. With an unwatchable version of a movie that I've waited years to see. Life is too cruel sometimes.....

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
That's just godamn ridculous. I can't imagine one reason why someone would do that. Sorry, Runar.

Eric.

Stunt Coordinator
Well thanks Runar for saving the rest of us from a fate worse than beheading in Iraq :D
I've been waiting a long time for it to,looks like it might be worth waiting a little bit longer now.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Does anyone know when the Hong Kong release of this is coming? Or for that matter, a US release?

Also, why did they release a PAL version in China anyway?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FFMichael
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale