What's new

2023 MacBook Pro and Mac mini (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Update: Well, the whole process with GoRoostr was exceedingly easy from start to finish. After I submitted the condition rating for my laptop to them I received a FedEx Ground shipping label almost immediately. I was informed right away when my shipment was received, and they issued payment via Paypal exactly when they said they would for the amount they said I would get. Easy-peasy! They offered the highest appraisal amount of any service I evaluated, and their communication was top-notch. I'm a very satisfied customer and can recommend them without hesitation.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Update: Well, the whole process with GoRoostr was exceedingly easy from start to finish. After I submitted the condition rating for my laptop to them I received a FedEx Ground shipping label almost immediately. I was informed right away when my shipment was received, and they issued payment via Paypal exactly when they said they would for the amount they said I would get. Easy-peasy! They offered the highest appraisal amount of any service I evaluated, and their communication was top-notch. I'm a very satisfied customer and can recommend them without hesitation.

Doug, thanks for letting us know. Will keep them in mind for future trade-ins.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
IF I'm already in the Mac ecosystem myself, I'd likely get that base model for my family as well as my Mom (one each).

But I haven't found a need to upgrade from my 3-yo DIY Windoze PC build yet, so I'm not prepared to switch teams just yet (so to speak), LOL... And I don't wanna have to try to support the family's use of Macs w/out first getting into it myself. :P

That's really the only thing stopping me at this point... even though I'm really itching to try out these M2-based Macs -- as I said before, for myself, I'd probably go for the M2 Pro w/ 32GB RAM model or something like that and hope that it'll last me maybe 10 years (or maybe more since I'll be in my early-to-mid-60's by then), LOL.

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Since I already have overkill with a Studio at home, I'm pretty much set on the base M2 Mini with 16GB for my office work computer. Probably sooner than later. The other computers at work are only used for access to our web site and printing orders, so they (2018 models) really have no need for an upgrade. Honestly, neither do I, but I do process images, and there's a huge difference in speed doing that with M1/2.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Online pundits are kind of making a stink over the slow speed of the 256GB SSD in the M2 Mini. I guess I'm maybe less concerned about the speed than the longevity of the drive. I'm looking at one for my work office, and I've migrated everything other than OS and apps off that drive, so I do not need more storage. I'm decided on 16GB RAM, so that gets me to $999 if I also upgrade the SSD. Of course, that's getting to the area where I start considering the M2 Pro model. Is a 1.5GB/s drive really a detriment vs a 3GB/s drive for normal use? Both are stinking fast.

Because, it also might make sense to get the 16GB/256GB for a lot less and just plan to keep it for a shorter time. I've already rearranged things to make the lack of ports work for me.

Damn you Apple. Damn you all to hell.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Online pundits are kind of making a stink over the slow speed of the 256GB SSD in the M2 Mini. I guess I'm maybe less concerned about the speed than the longevity of the drive. I'm looking at one for my work office, and I've migrated everything other than OS and apps off that drive, so I do not need more storage. I'm decided on 16GB RAM, so that gets me to $999 if I also upgrade the SSD. Of course, that's getting to the area where I start considering the M2 Pro model.

Damn you Apple. Damn you all to hell.

This is a common problem I have seen in other Apple products.

My girlfriend wanted an M2 MacBook. Nothing fancy. I recommended the base model AIR with a 256GB drive and 16GB of ram.

So, she bought it.

Then, I start reading reports that the base model of the M2 AIR is being lambasted for having a slower SSD drive. So, me being me, I have her return her laptop and she upgrades to a 512GB drive.

This is the shit Apple pulls. They offer what seems to be a terrific price on base models and then they cut corners by offering substandard SSD drives.

I suppose, in some way, it may make sense. If you are going to buy a base machine you are definitely not a power user. On the other hand, when you find out that Apple put a slower drive inside that model it does evoke frustration.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This is a common problem I have seen in other Apple products.

My girlfriend wanted an M2 MacBook. Nothing fancy. I recommended the base model AIR with a 256GB drive and 16GB of ram.

So, she bought it.

Then, I start reading reports that the base model of the M2 AIR is being lambasted for having a slower SSD drive. So, me being me, I have her return her laptop and she upgrades to a 512GB drive.

This is the shit Apple pulls. They offer what seems to be a terrific price on base models and then they cut corners by offering substandard SSD drives.

I suppose, in some way, it may make sense. If you are going to buy a base machine you are definitely not a power user. On the other hand, when you find out that Apple put a slower drive inside that model it does evoke frustration.
But Ron, a 1.5GB/s drive is freaking fast. Only a handful of years ago, that was only a dream. Now it is unacceptable simply because there are also 3GB/s drives... or the more than 6GB/s drive in my Studio? We're still talking about what is more powerful than virtually any Mac made before 2020... for $599. How can that be a bad thing?

I'm coming back to my senses, and defying the BS. The fact is, the M2 16/256 makes the most sense for me. Worst case, I take the $200-500 I saved and replace it a little sooner, or find it's just fine, and continue for as long as the more expensive option.

If I want a screaming Mac, I have the Studio.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
But Ron, a 1.5GB/s drive is freaking fast. Only a handful of years ago, that was only a dream. Now it is unacceptable simply because there are also 3GB/s drives... or the more than 6GB/s drive in my Studio? We're still talking about what is more powerful than virtually any Mac made before 2020... for $599. How can that be a bad thing?

I'm coming back to my senses, and defying the BS. The fact is, the M2 16/256 makes the most sense for me. Worst case, I take the $200-500 I saved and replace it a little sooner, or find it's just fine, and continue for as long as the more expensive option.

If I want a screaming Mac, I have the Studio.

You are probably 100% correct here. And not even probably.

John, the problem for me is that if someone asked me to compare hard drive speeds, that's just something above my pay grade.

So, I want to help pick out something inexpensive for someone that is going to be doing nothing more than light Internet work and some Photoshop.

I buy the 256GB Air shortly after its release as more reviews are appearing online for it. The day after she has it in her hands, I spend a few hours on YouTube pouring over review after review that looks like these examples...

I mean, talk about an epidemic. You can find a dozen reviews like this and I think I have seen all of them.

So, as someone who just recommended this laptop to someone I care about -- and I want to make certain she has something that is somewhat future-proofed for years to come -- I start thinking she just bought something inferior and I'm responsible for it.

So, yeah, based on your response above, I may have fallen into bad negative overhype by the online community.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yeah, it almost certainly shouldn't matter to those buying a base model Mini or probably (base model) MB Air, but maybe someone going for a MBP might wanna get slightly miffed about it... although the SSD performance drop doesn't seem quite as big for the base model MBP...

Still, personally, I'd probably want a 512GB SSD for the main drive anyway, which would avoid that issue. 256GB just seems like pushing it... unless one really doesn't expect to do much on the machine beyond basic general stuff that most people (not us) do...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I guess I'm maybe less concerned about the speed than the longevity of the drive.
Still, personally, I'd probably want a 512GB SSD for the main drive anyway, which would avoid that issue. 256GB just seems like pushing it... unless one really doesn't expect to do much on the machine beyond basic general stuff that most people (not us) do...

Not sure about the SSDs in these Mac Minis, but generally, rated durability/longevity do seem to scale w/ size for SSDs, so there's that...

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

_Man_
I already made the decision to work the way computers seem to be best designed these days. My boot drive has 64.48GB on it. I simply don't need anything bigger than 256GB. The drive on my Studio has about 98GB on it, but I spend for a 1TB drive, which was a waste of money.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You are probably 100% correct here. And not even probably.

I mean, talk about an epidemic. You can find a dozen reviews like this and I think I have seen all of them.
This is an example of how it's possible to quote 100% accurate facts, and still come to an invalid conclusion. When it seems like the entire world is screaming the same questionable conclusion, it's difficult to stop and be realistic.

In your case, it was probably the better decision with your GF. I'm more tuned into upgrades and what I actually need. I'd much rather spend $500 less and feel better about updating sooner, if needed.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm totally OK with only two red Xs for video I will never shoot. :biggrin:
Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 12.11.26 PM.png

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The problem is in watching clickbait videos that are aimed at people who care more about specs than real world performance. “Oh noes this one spec is slow” Does it make any practical difference? Who cares, clicks baybeeeeee

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The problem is in watching clickbait videos that are aimed at people who care more about specs than real world performance. “Oh noes this one spec is slow” Does it make any practical difference? Who cares, clicks baybeeeeee
The thing is... just because drives exist which are faster does not mean it is slow. I realize we're in agreement here, Sam. But anyone who is claiming a drive with 1.5GB/s read/write speeds is too slow to be usable is just full of crap. Even though I realize this, I still started down that road today, until I came to my senses.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks