What's new

2023 MacBook Pro and Mac mini (6 Viewers)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I also didn't want to skimp on price, just for the sake of skimping, especially since I got it at education pricing for $679. Considering my current Core i7 Mini cost $1,099 almost 5 years ago, and I'm getting what sounds like way superior performance for almost 60% less than I paid back then, it's kind of mind boggling.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
These new Minis are pretty fab! In fact, they have me thinking about ditching my 6-year-old MacBook Pro and going back to a desktop machine. I rarely use my laptop out of the dock anymore, and I have an M1 iPad Pro that I think would serve me well enough when I travel. I'm really questioning my need for a laptop now that I'm retired and not working in IT any longer.

Just for grins I threw together a Mini with the M2 Pro (10-core CPU/16-core GPU/16-core Neural Engine), 16GB RAM, and bumped the SSD up to 1TB. For $1500 that's a screamin' machine that's probably way overpowered for my needs. So, I also speced out the lesser M2 model (8-core CPU/10-core GPU/16-core Neural Engine), bumped the RAM up to 16GB and the SSD up to 1TB, which comes out to $1200. On the more expensive machine, the extra ports and M2 Pro seem like a pretty good upgrade for a mere $300, so I'm waffling between the two even though I have no firm commitment to buy one at this point.

Damn you, Apple! :laugh:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
These new Minis are pretty fab! In fact, they have me thinking about ditching my 6-year-old MacBook Pro and going back to a desktop machine. I rarely use my laptop out of the dock anymore, and I have an M1 iPad Pro that I think would serve me well enough when I travel. I'm really questioning my need for a laptop now that I'm retired and not working in IT any longer.

Just for grins I threw together a Mini with the M2 Pro (10-core CPU/16-core GPU/16-core Neural Engine), 16GB RAM, and bumped the SSD up to 1TB. For $1500 that's a screamin' machine that's probably way overpowered for my needs. So, I also speced out the lesser M2 model (8-core CPU/10-core GPU/16-core Neural Engine), bumped the RAM up to 16GB and the SSD up to 1TB, which comes out to $1200. On the more expensive machine, the extra ports and M2 Pro seem like a pretty good upgrade for a mere $300, so I'm waffling between the two even though I have no firm commitment to buy one at this point.

Damn you, Apple! :laugh:

Doug,

There was a time between the sale of my 2019 MBP and the purchase of my 2021 MBP when I was without a laptop.

I was forced to use my iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard for my laptop needs.

That experience started out difficult for the first day or two as I had to find alternative means to get things done, but within a few days, I truly believe I had found a laptop replacement. So, yes, you can certainly use that for travel.

The only reason I still have a Macbook Pro is that I prefer OS versions of software rather than using an iOS app. Plus it's so much easier to drag files around from one destination to another.

As to your Mini...

I think the lesser M2 model with 16GB ram and 1TB drive is going to be a screaming machine. I like where you are going with your plans.

dpippel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Thanks for the input, Ron. I remember your adventures with the iPad Pro and that you struggled a bit with it. Apple has made things somewhat better with the introduction of iPadOS, and really, when I travel I'd only be using the tablet for email, web, media consumption, etc. Simple stuff. My days of needing a full-fledged portable computer are behind me at this point. If my requirements change in the future I can always go back to a laptop. But damn, with the amount of computing power these new Minis are packing, for the price it's hard to resist such a huge upgrade. If I do this I can also recoup some of the cost by selling my MacBook Pro, which is in excellent condition, while I still have a bit of equity left in it.

I'll be thinking hard for the next few days. ;)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
There's definitely a family resemblance...

20230126_162840.jpg

dpippel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Doug,

There was a time between the sale of my 2019 MBP and the purchase of my 2021 MBP when I was without a laptop.

I was forced to use my iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard for my laptop needs.

That experience started out difficult for the first day or two as I had to find alternative means to get things done, but within a few days, I truly believe I had found a laptop replacement. So, yes, you can certainly use that for travel.

The only reason I still have a Macbook Pro is that I prefer OS versions of software rather than using an iOS app. Plus it's so much easier to drag files around from one destination to another.

As to your Mini...

I think the lesser M2 model with 16GB ram and 1TB drive is going to be a screaming machine. I like where you are going with your plans.
Welp Ron, my will was weak. I just pulled the trigger. Delivery estimated between 2/10 and 2/17:

1674780154469.png

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Impressions - so far so good. I'm not really throwing that much at my computer on most days, Lightroom probably being the most demanding. Things are noticeably faster, but not in a super dramatic, "OMG" way. It just seems like it's doing what it's asked and is unperturbed about the requests, if that makes any sense. Seamless movement from action to action, I guess is another way to describe it. I did do a Lightroom import of photos, but I didn't notice any dramatic difference in the import and building of 1:1 previews. About 90 seconds for 42, 20 megapixel RAW files. 🤷‍♂️

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mini is in hand and migration assistant is doing its thing.

Congrats again, Cameron. Looking at your initial impressions, it sounds like your Mini is performing well. Did you have an i7 processor in the older Mac you replaced?

Welp Ron, my will was weak. I just pulled the trigger. Delivery estimated between 2/10 and 2/17:

View attachment 173547

Nice! That's a strong purchase given the memory and storage. That should keep you happy for a long time. Congrats!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
That's correct. On that machine I did notice Apple apps like Safari began to open quite quickly after updating to the OS version before the most recent one. But that kind of behavior seems true now for other non-Apple apps like Chrome. Surprisingly, things are also noticeably zippier clicking around websites, which I thought was not really a processor issue?
Congrats again, Cameron. Looking at your initial impressions, it sounds like your Mini is performing well. Did you have an i7 processor in the older Mac you replaced?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Thanks, that makes sense. Things just "appear" now in a way they didn't seem to before. That's probably the most noticeable difference in my day-to-day activities on the computer.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Impressions - so far so good. I'm not really throwing that much at my computer on most days, Lightroom probably being the most demanding. Things are noticeably faster, but not in a super dramatic, "OMG" way. It just seems like it's doing what it's asked and is unperturbed about the requests, if that makes any sense. Seamless movement from action to action, I guess is another way to describe it. I did do a Lightroom import of photos, but I didn't notice any dramatic difference in the import and building of 1:1 previews. About 90 seconds for 42, 20 megapixel RAW files. 🤷‍♂️
That's mostly data transfer, which isn't going to show a massive improvement. Where I saw the most (amazing, really) improvement was image processing with Topaz Sharpen ai. A 45MP image process went from 3-5 minutes to 5-10 seconds. There was a definite boost with more complex Photoshop processes like a focus stack.

I did a test with Filemaker Pro, which I use at work, and it showed a minimal improvement, since it doesn't use GPU, and for some bizarre reason, limits itself to a single core. So the improvement there was rather minimal.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Now my usual conundrum of what to do with the old device. I turned my parent's old Mini into an Ubuntu device when I couldn't get the Mac OS to work on it anymore. The i7 still has some life in it so I'm open to ideas. I could set something up exclusively for my kids so they never touch my stuff now 😅

dpippel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Now my usual conundrum of what to do with the old device. I turned my parent's old Mini into an Ubuntu device when I couldn't get the Mac OS to work on it anymore. The i7 still has some life in it so I'm open to ideas. I could set something up exclusively for my kids so they never touch my stuff now 😅
I'm in the same boat, although not having any kids I'll probably sell my laptop outright privately or use one of the online companies that pay for older tech goods.

@Ron, which one of these places was it that you recommended so highly? I couldn't find your posts about it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm in the same boat, although not having any kids I'll probably sell my laptop outright privately or use one of the online companies that pay for older tech goods.

@Ron, which one of these places was it that you recommended so highly? I couldn't find your posts about it.

Some say you can do your best selling privately. I try to avoid that route as I just want to get an offer and sell it to someone I know is trustworthy without dealing with the private sale sites.

The two top sites, I think, are cashforyourmac.com and sellyourmac.com. The first always gives me the best offer.

For instance, my 2021 16"MBP with M1 Max Pro, 64GB ram and 1 TB drive

cashforyourmac: $1,930.05 (was $2,100 prior to the announcement of the M2 model)
sellyourmac: $1,520.00

Have used both of these sites. Both trustworthy. Just be careful about accepting payment through PayPal. There is usually always a fee. I just have them send me a check and it arrives in a week.

Let me know how these sites work for you, if at all.

Also, do a Google search for SELL YOUR MAC ONLINE. However, I am going out on a limb and bet that cashforyourmac is going to give you the best price.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
On a parallel track, I've recently been selling off a bunch of camera equipment. At first I assumed I'd sell it directly, but once I considered all the options, and wondered about the hassles that people can cause paying for stuff, I decided it simply makes the most sense to sell it to a reseller. I've used two large places for that, sometimes trading for something else. The way people can be running scams buying used stuff, I just don't think it's worth the hassle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muhammedrashique43q
Recent bookmarks