What's new

2022 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
They're finally sorta going the rebuild route, sorta, on top of Votto maybe being finally done w/ his resurgence, so that's basically what's happening w/ them...

They were really just in their last gasp mode and did unexpectedly well last year anyway...

They actually looked even worse than their current 9-26 record just a week-and-change ago when they were just 3-22(!) before going 6-4 over the course of the last 9 days (mostly against the lowly Pirates plus 3 against the Brewers)...

_Man_
A shame that Votto’s years went largely unsuccessful. They could hit the ball, but couldn’t pitch. Then, recently, their pitching was coming around, and they stopped hitting. I think the Reds are like some of the other smaller payroll teams we could name- they can only go so far, and will not be able to have sustained success or a dynasty due to their financial limitations.
🙁

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A shame that Votto’s years went largely unsuccessful. They could hit the ball, but couldn’t pitch. Then, recently, their pitching was coming around, and they stopped hitting. I think the Reds are like some of the other smaller payroll teams we could name- they can only go so far, and will not be able to have sustained success or a dynasty due to their financial limitations.
🙁
Yet, we have the Rays in a worst situation having sustain success over many years.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Yet, we have the Rays in a worst situation having sustain success over many years.
The Rays have had some success, but it’s doubtful they’ll win the trophy. They can’t go after a big gun at the trade deadline due to financial constraints, and they won’t likely be able to keep their best farmhands when they become free agents, once again due to financial constraints. A shame.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Rays have had some success, but it’s doubtful they’ll win the trophy. They can’t go after a big gun at the trade deadline due to financial constraints, and they won’t likely be able to keep their best farmhands when they become free agents, once again due to financial constraints. A shame.
The Rays had more success than most MLB teams since 2008. Sure, they haven't won the trophy, but they've played in 2 World Series. They just signed their best player Wander Franco to an extension. He's a stud and will be a perennial all-star caliber player.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The Rays had more success than most MLB teams since 2008. Sure, they haven't won the trophy, but they've played in 2 World Series. They just signed their best player Wander Franco to an extension. He's a stud and will be a perennial all-star caliber player.
Good to hear that they were able to lock a good player down for the future.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Yep, the Rays are remarkable (over the last decade-and-half), especially considering the limitations they have trying to compete as a very small fish in the otherwise (historically, if not necessarily currently) biggest market division of MLB.

And this after their top management (being arguably most responsible for much of that success) left for the Dodgers back in 2015 (in the midst of some brief-ish setback) too...

_Man_

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Each team has 25 players on their roster but only 21 are available to play each game. Never noticed this before.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, it;s isn't nor ever was true even when the roster was 25.

Interested in why you'd say that.

I figured he just meant 4 actively rostered players are (usually) starting pitchers being rested (in rotation out of usually 5) and generally unavailable (for the current game) because of that. That's just in general as a matter of practice/practicality of course, but isn't always (nor strictly required to be) the case.

_Man_

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I figured he just meant 4 actively rostered players are (usually) starting pitchers being rested (in rotation out of usually 5) and generally unavailable (for the current game) because of that. That's just in general as a matter of practice/practicality of course, but isn't always (nor strictly required to be) the case.

_Man_

Yup, that's it!

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Interesting article about the pitch clock being used in MiLB. Although I'm always wary of changes to the game; I did not want the NL to adopt the DH, for example, but it hasn't bothered me at all, either. How do y'all feel about a pitch clock?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Interesting article about the pitch clock being used in MiLB. Although I'm always wary of changes to the game; I did not want the NL to adopt the DH, for example, but it hasn't bothered me at all, either. How do y'all feel about a pitch clock?
Yankee games have been quicker this season due to their use of pitchcom.

I have no problem with them using the pitch clock next season if it speeds up the pace of the game even more so.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
A few years ago, Manfred was about to put a pitch clock in the majors, then changed his mind. I assume this was due to the players not wanting it. Has the union had a change of heart on this issue?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A few years ago, Manfred was about to put a pitch clock in the majors, then changed his mind. I assume this was due to the players not wanting it. Has the union had a change of heart on this issue?
It was part of the negotiations just like the universal DH and pitchcom.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mets Giants in the game of the night.

Giants up 8-4 in top of the 8th and have a combination of the unluckiest and one of the worst defensive innings I've seen in the majors -- esp one that ended without a single error charged. Giants pitchers give up 7 hits to 8 hitters and could have had 8 outs, but end up giving up 7 runs and losing the lead. 3 singles that never left the infield and at least 2 (maybe 3 balls that hit fielders gloves or bodies) plus a couple that bounced throug the IF inches away from a fielder. Even the one triple was a ball just inside the 3rd base bag that the LF overran when it hit the wall then fell down turning a double into a triple and he scored on a SF the next batter.

Bottom of the 8th 2 out, nobody on, Yaz singles, Ruf walks on 4 pitches and Joc Pederson comes up already with 2HR and 4 RBi and proceeds to splashdown in the Ocean to tie the game at 11 with his 3rd HR of the night

Mets score in the top 9th to take 12-11 lead

Bottom 9th 2 outs, nobody on again and Edwin Diaz throwing 100-102
Yaz walks, Ruf Singles and of course Pederson has to get a chance. Scorched single up the middle to tie the game followed by Crawford single to win 12-12

Pederson was in massive slump entering the game -- 4 for 45 in month of MAY (089/200/180 for the month), but ends up 4-6 with 3 HR and 8 RBI for the game.

Just for fun -- the only Giant with 4HR in a game was Willie Mays in 1961 (against the Braves), not Barry Bonds, Mel Ott, or Willie McCovey.
4HR in a single game -- 18 times in MLB history (6AL, 12 NL, no Interleague). Of the 12 NL -- the Braves franchise have been involved 5 time -- 3 for (once each in Boston Beaneaters, Milw, and Atlanta) , 2 against (Milw and Atl)

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Wowzers! Dem Giants bats doling out some vengeance on the Mets (after the 1st game of the series) or what?

Another 9 runs on 4(!) HRs after just 2 innings -- 2 from Longoria and yet another from Pederson...

Thought the ball is supposed to be dead and offense is supposed to be down this year, LOL!

_Man_

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Mets Giants in the game of the night.

Giants up 8-4 in top of the 8th and have a combination of the unluckiest and one of the worst defensive innings I've seen in the majors -- esp one that ended without a single error charged. Giants pitchers give up 7 hits to 8 hitters and could have had 8 outs, but end up giving up 7 runs and losing the lead. 3 singles that never left the infield and at least 2 (maybe 3 balls that hit fielders gloves or bodies) plus a couple that bounced throug the IF inches away from a fielder. Even the one triple was a ball just inside the 3rd base bag that the LF overran when it hit the wall then fell down turning a double into a triple and he scored on a SF the next batter.

Bottom of the 8th 2 out, nobody on, Yaz singles, Ruf walks on 4 pitches and Joc Pederson comes up already with 2HR and 4 RBi and proceeds to splashdown in the Ocean to tie the game at 11 with his 3rd HR of the night

Mets score in the top 9th to take 12-11 lead

Bottom 9th 2 outs, nobody on again and Edwin Diaz throwing 100-102
Yaz walks, Ruf Singles and of course Pederson has to get a chance. Scorched single up the middle to tie the game followed by Crawford single to win 12-12

Pederson was in massive slump entering the game -- 4 for 45 in month of MAY (089/200/180 for the month), but ends up 4-6 with 3 HR and 8 RBI for the game.

Just for fun -- the only Giant with 4HR in a game was Willie Mays in 1961 (against the Braves), not Barry Bonds, Mel Ott, or Willie McCovey.
4HR in a single game -- 18 times in MLB history (6AL, 12 NL, no Interleague). Of the 12 NL -- the Braves franchise have been involved 5 time -- 3 for (once each in Boston Beaneaters, Milw, and Atlanta) , 2 against (Milw and Atl)
One of the 12 NL occurrences was Mike Schmidt- Phillies at Wrigley field. Phils won 18-16. I think that was in 1977.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Let’s Go Mets!
See you in June, Tim!

I sure hope the Dodgers can figure out the Pirates tonight. (WTF?) Last night was the 6th SOLD OUT game of the year for the Dodgers, on Julio Urias' Bobblehead night and Dave Roberts' 50th Birthday celebration. The only ones celebrating were the Pirates. They sure have our number this year; we've lost 4 of 5 games we've played them so far. 1 to go.

I'd hate to go into a 4 game series with your Mets, Tim, starting tomorrow, after being swept by Pittsburgh. Sheesh.

I've been looking at getting a ticket for one of the Mets games, but they're heavily sold at the moment. I don't want to go to the Sunday afternoon game. Thursday and Saturday are giveaway nights and nearly sold out. Friday is, too, pretty much, it's Pride Night. Maybe a deal will pop up, we'll see. My budget is not without strict parameters. Heh!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks