What's new

2022 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Syndergaard out as starter (possibly for entire WS):

With Monday’s postponement, the Phils will turn to Ranger Suárez on normal rest for Game 3 instead of Noah Syndergaard, as originally planned. Aaron Nola will then start Game 4 on Wednesday -- also on regular rest. Manager Rob Thomson noted that the reshuffled rotation would line up Suárez to start a potential Game 7 on regular rest, if needed. As for Syndergaard, Thomson said the club will wait to see if the veteran right-hander is needed out of the bullpen in Game 3 or Game 4 before deciding if he will start Game 5. If Syndergaard is used in relief over the next two games, Kyle Gibson would likely get the Game 5 nod.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yowch! Dem Phils sluggers sure continued their hotness and tattooed McCullers early and often -- a couple of the HRs didn't even come from their recognized, brand-named sluggers either.

Last inning for the Stros to try and overcome the 7-run deficit...

_Man_

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Could it have been more obvious that either Harper or Phillies in general found some key that McCullers was tipping.

When Harper called Bohm back to the dugout to whisper something to him in the 1st, he was almost jumping up and down like it was Christmas morning. I was sure he was passing along some sort of tipping info. I haven't seen that much glee since the Astros picked up that Glasnow was tipping a few years ago.

Either that or they played a major head game on McCullers and convinced him he was tipping

But the Phillies certainly have some amazing power hitters and for now are out-playing the Astros across the board.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Kinda wonder if Marsh thought of and felt a little bad for Trout when they asked him (during the post-game) about being traded by/from the Angels in early August... and hit his own (albeit fairly slight) HR tonight -- he's definitely the least expected of the 5 to hit a HR... though Citizens Bank park generally favors lefties and that one might not've gotten out in too many other MLB parks, so...

_Man_

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Ass Whoopin'

Due to my sleep schedule, I DVR'd the game. It was a mercifully short viewing experience.

- Walter.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Someone posted at another site that the Phils brought in Mike Schmidt, Bernie Parent, Julius Erving, and Brandon Graham to throw out the first pitch. Great move, and appropriate (those guys were key players in winning the championships for the city).

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Someone posted at another site that the Phils brought in Mike Schmidt, Bernie Parent, Julius Erving, and Brandon Graham to throw out the first pitch. Great move, and appropriate (those guys were key players in winning the championships for the city).

Huh... Didn't realize they all played for the Phillies... :lol:;):D

_Man_

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Huh... Didn't realize they all played for the Phillies... :lol:;):D

_Man_

Oh My God Wow GIF by reactionseditor

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Baseball is a very very strange game.

2 of 3 Postseason No hitters have come in Philadelphia and Dusty was managing in both games -- one on each side (didn't remember the latter until the post game interview with Dusty)
Javier part of 2 no hitters this year and I bet Houston had 8 or 9 games this year where they had no hitters through at least 6

Verlander is a really weird position tomorrow. I remember Kershaw struggling for a lot of games, but he had a few great games mixed into his less good performaces and nothing like JV's WS history. I guess going back to Houston regardless, but JV has got to be tied up in knots being put in this position. The first couple innings Thursday night are going to be interesting to see.

At this point if the WS goes to G7 -- if your Dusty Baker who do you start? McCullers on full rest or Javier on 3 days?

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Baseball is a very very strange game.

2 of 3 Postseason No hitters have come in Philadelphia and Dusty was managing in both games -- one on each side (didn't remember the latter until the post game interview with Dusty)
Javier part of 2 no hitters this year and I bet Houston had 8 or 9 games this year where they had no hitters through at least 6

Verlander is a really weird position tomorrow. I remember Kershaw struggling for a lot of games, but he had a few great games mixed into his less good performaces and nothing like JV's WS history. I guess going back to Houston regardless, but JV has got to be tied up in knots being put in this position. The first couple innings Thursday night are going to be interesting to see.

At this point if the WS goes to G7 -- if your Dusty Baker who do you start? McCullers on full rest or Javier on 3 days?
So Dusty was the Reds manager in 2010 when Halliday threw the solo no-no. I didn’t remember that.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
It will be interesting to see how Verlander performs Thursday. He will become a free agent, so this might be his last appearance in a Houston Astros' uniform.

- Walter.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I don’t love the Phils decision to go with Noah/bullpen for tonight’s crucial game instead of Wheeler. Feels like a gamble to me.

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
I am not really pulling for either team after the Mariners were eliminated, I just want a close competitive series. What I am enjoying are the 4K HDR broadcasts. The HDR might be a little heavy handy but it still looks great. After adding a splitter and stable 50’ HDMI cable off the single 4K TV box Xfinity supports, I can now watch the 4K broadcast in either my family room, basement theater, or both simultaneously if I want to host a large group.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
It will be interesting to see how Verlander performs Thursday. He will become a free agent, so this might be his last appearance in a Houston Astros' uniform.

- Walter.

You really think Verlander might leave Houston? I don't really see it... unless Houston doesn't wanna pay him enough to stay (even at some reasonable discount) I guess.

_Man_

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Could I see him leaving -- maybe.

He's playing in a city that so far seems to love him, he has one WS ring so far, 4 trips to the WS and no reason looking at their roster
to expect that not to continue for the near future

If he has another bad outing and the fans turn on him en masse -- maybe
If the Astros offer him an insulting deal - maybe.

If an LA team or maybe SD comes up with an extra-big offer for a 40yo pitcher -- maybe esp since Kate seems to have some business there and they spend plenty of time in California anyway.
I honestly can't see him signing with Angels or Rangers at this point though they might be in a position to pay big

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
You really think Verlander might leave Houston? I don't really see it... unless Houston doesn't wanna pay him enough to stay (even at some reasonable discount) I guess.

_Man_

I honestly don't have enough information to say one way or the other. When Carlos Correa became a free agent, I believe the Astros offered him a sizable amount of money to stay with the team, but didn't match the offer from the Minnesota Twins. I'm sure they will make a respectable offer to Verlander, but the team isn't in the habit of getting into bidding wars. I think one of the reasons that Houston has remained consistently competitive over the years ( 6 ALCS and 4 WS appearance in the last 6 years) is that they have a good cost/performance ratio. Essentially they don't spend money like drunken sailors when it comes to player salaries.

Verlander has been with the Astros for around five years, so it isn't like a one and done sort of situation like Gerrit Cole (actually he was with Houston for two years, but it was a short stint.) Verlander will be forty years old next February and I'm not sure what kind of offers he will receive. He has stated that he would like to go for 300 career victories and if he is serious about that, then the Astros provide him with a better chance than most teams. ( He is currently at 244 career wins. ) I am sure they could make certain post-career guarantees to Verlander as well.

In terms of free agents, the Astros have around 10 players who will have to option to pursue more lucrative offers. The only players that I really consider "key" are Verlander, Yuli Gurriel and (maybe) Maldanado. The core of the team will be intact for another year and I full expect them to be competitive in 2023.

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks