What's new

2022 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The Phillies Padres game took a couple really unexpected turns. Bludgeoning might be the most correct term for this

Surely it must have been mentioned (channlel flipping with 4 football games and 1 baseball games didn't allow a ton of extended watching), but surely this has to be the first Postseason game where neither starter made it out of the 1st inning. 2 outs, 6 hits, 2bb, 2 HR 7 runs allowed combined is not a good line

Last edited:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Enjoy it while you can because it doesn't last long.

Probably no truer maxim than this when it comes to sports fandom. I've seen lots of highs and lows following the various Houston franchises over the years, various Texas collegiate teams, and of course the Dallas Cowboys. I've seen teams on the cusp of greatness and other years in which they are complete, utter failures.

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Probably no truer maxim than this when it comes to sports fandom. I've seen lots of highs and lows following the various Houston franchises over the years, various Texas collegiate teams, and of course the Dallas Cowboys. I've seen teams on the cusp of greatness and other years in which they are complete, utter failures.

- Walter.
As I told my best friend the other day. If I could go back in time to when I was a kid, I would have never became a fan of any sports team. Too much heartache for not enough pure joy.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
As I told my best friend the other day. If I could go back in time to when I was a kid, I would have never became a fan of any sports team. Too much heartache for not enough pure joy.
Easy to draw a straight line between sports fandom, and life- most of the time, things don’t go in our favor, but for the rare occasions that things do work out, there’s enough bliss to make it all worthwhile.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Easy to draw a straight line between sports fandom, and life- most of the time, things don’t go in our favor, but for the rare occasions that things do work out, there’s enough bliss to make it all worthwhile.
Regarding sports fandom, there isn’t enough bliss for me.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Regarding sports fandom, there isn’t enough bliss for me.
I would have given anything to be in any of the bars/restaurants near Wrigley when the Cubs finally won in 2016, or in any of the joints near Fenway in 2004, especially after the 1986 choke. The mass gathering bliss and joy had to be a once in a lifetime experience (just watching the Joy In Wrigleyville show that the MLB Network produced a few weeks after the Cubs won is awesome- watching the Harry Caray joint erupt when Rizzo made the last putout).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I would have given anything to be in any of the bars/restaurants near Wrigley when the Cubs finally won in 2016, or in any of the joints near Fenway in 2004, especially after the 1986 choke. The mass gathering bliss and joy had to be a once in a lifetime experience (just watching the Joy In Wrigleyville show that the MLB Network produced a few weeks after the Cubs won is awesome- watching the Harry Caray joint erupt when Rizzo made the last putout).
I knew a few Cubs fans that never got to chance to celebrate any Cubs WS championship.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I cut all ties to the game two and a half years ago forever because of (1) MLB's embrace of a political agenda and (2) the horrible quality of the game itself. My life has been more blissful since and when I need a baseball fix I have decades of positive memories to draw from by watching and listening to vintage games from the great Yankee dynasty eras of the late 70s and the late 90s (plus 2009). Seven championships in my lifetime (even if there could have easily been more) was something great to have experienced.

But in reading up on what the team that I once followed has done this year I am not surprised to see that Brian Cashman is still the same old incompetent GM he was in 2019 the last year I followed the team and has once again assembled a team of lumbering home run or nothing sluggers who set records for strikeouts and once again failed to deliver on starting pitching. His decision for "salary cap" reasons to get Sonny Gray instead of Justin Verlander in 2017 with a rising team that was ready to win it all ranks as the most disgraceful of all his blitheringly incompetent decisions since he was given carte blanche control in 2006 since he then decided the 'salary cap' was never a consideration when it came to giving idiotic contracts to the likes of Stanton and an injured Aaron Hicks (you would have thought after Jacoby Ellsbury he'd learned his lesson but he never does because he doesn't have to worry about his job security since he knows Hal is too cowardly to ever utter the words, "You're fired," for fear of being compared to his father)

My day will be spent listening to Game 4 of the 1977 World Series instead of bothering with what is likely to be the latest Yankee postseason failure since 2009. Collectively if you look at the Yankees postseason performance starting with the 2004 nightmare, you see nothing but consistent inability to deliver timely offense and pitching in the pressure of a postseason with the one exception being 2009 (and Cashman lucked out that year because the big contracts of Giambi and Mussina coming off the books allowed him to get the two biggest free agents in Sabathia and Texeirea that year) Cashman's ultimate legacy has been to preside over the end of Aura and Mystique from the Yankee legacy.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I cut all ties to the game two and a half years ago forever because of (1) MLB's embrace of a political agenda and (2) the horrible quality of the game itself. My life has been more blissful since and when I need a baseball fix I have decades of positive memories to draw from by watching and listening to vintage games from the great Yankee dynasty eras of the late 70s and the late 90s (plus 2009). Seven championships in my lifetime (even if there could have easily been more) was something great to have experienced.

But in reading up on what the team that I once followed has done this year I am not surprised to see that Brian Cashman is still the same old incompetent GM he was in 2019 the last year I followed the team and has once again assembled a team of lumbering home run or nothing sluggers who set records for strikeouts and once again failed to deliver on starting pitching. His decision for "salary cap" reasons to get Sonny Gray instead of Justin Verlander in 2017 with a rising team that was ready to win it all ranks as the most disgraceful of all his blitheringly incompetent decisions since he was given carte blanche control in 2006 since he then decided the 'salary cap' was never a consideration when it came to giving idiotic contracts to the likes of Stanton and an injured Aaron Hicks (you would have thought after Jacoby Ellsbury he'd learned his lesson but he never does because he doesn't have to worry about his job security since he knows Hal is too cowardly to ever utter the words, "You're fired," for fear of being compared to his father)

My day will be spent listening to Game 4 of the 1977 World Series instead of bothering with what is likely to be the latest Yankee postseason failure since 2009. Collectively if you look at the Yankees postseason performance starting with the 2004 nightmare, you see nothing but consistent inability to deliver timely offense and pitching in the pressure of a postseason with the one exception being 2009 (and Cashman lucked out that year because the big contracts of Giambi and Mussina coming off the books allowed him to get the two biggest free agents in Sabathia and Texeirea that year) Cashman's ultimate legacy has been to preside over the end of Aura and Mystique from the Yankee legacy.
I have more or less disconnected myself, for your reason 1, and I think Manfred and the league are making too many changes to the game. I will never agree with or like the 3 batter minimum.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Not to me, and my opinion is all that counts for my own personal decision on whether or not to keep following. Others can let their own opinions be their own guide (I don't believe in pushing boycotts)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

I wouldn’t change a thing.
As frustrating as it’s been for nearly 50 years watching Philadelphia teams I’ve still enjoyed it more then anything else I might have watched.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Because I took a moment yesterday to read about why the Yankees are about to lose the ALCS to Houston (again). I got a reminder why I had no cause to regret my decision to cut the emotional cord.

I don't regret the fandom I had that guided me through the dark period of the 1980s and early 90s because it enabled me to experience the greatest run a team could ever have in the 96-03 period. And I'm glad I persevered for 2009. The memories of those will last a lifetime.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
IMHO, you guys are probably a bit too harsh on Cashman. A lot of what happens are just the kinds of hands one is dealt... and the GM can only make the most of them -- generally, no GM is really given carte blanche to spend... and even if he/she is, there are only so much talent available for signing or trading, and there are 29 other franchises involved afterall.

Not saying Cashman's been particularly good or anything like that, but y'all are probably laming too much of the blame for not winning it all again on him -- and it's not like the Yankees haven't won it all at all during his tenure or that they're not getting back to the playoffs pretty regularly afterall...

BUT if it's too much heartache (or simply hate for what's been happening to/with MLB), then sure, maybe this is no longer for you... and I certainly wouldn't blame you or anything for walking away from it...

Life is indeed too short to keep returning to what might seem like too much and/or endless heartache...

Peace, y'all...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I wouldn’t change a thing.
As frustrating as it’s been for nearly 50 years watching Philadelphia teams I’ve still enjoyed it more then anything else I might have watched.
Hey guys, the Phillies won the NL Pennant.

Meanwhile, dem Phillies sure are getting very hot at just the right time... and maybe they'll even carry enough of this hotness into the Fall Classic and give dem Stros a good run for their $$$ (assuming the Yanks won't pull off some kinda miracle)!

Certainly hoping for a great WS (as always for me... regardless of who's in it)!

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks