What's new

2022 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I’ve often wondered if baseball games have gotten longer due to the length of tv ads.

For tonight’s Mets / Braves game in Atlanta they are forecasting wind gusts of up to 40 mph.

Also Francisco Alvarez is being called up by the Mets. He will DH only when he plays.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I’ve often wondered if baseball games have gotten longer due to the length of tv ads.
I don't think so. MLB games are still limited to 2 minutes between half innings (I heard this somewhere recently), and other breaks are usually reserved for pitching changes. I don't think there are any "TV timeouts" as they seem to have in the NFL.

I think under the new rules, they're increasing the half-inning breaks to 2:15, or something like that.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I don't think so. MLB games are still limited to 2 minutes between half innings (I heard this somewhere recently), and other breaks are usually reserved for pitching changes. I don't think there are any "TV timeouts" as they seem to have in the NFL.

I think under the new rules, they're increasing the half-inning breaks to 2:15, or something like that.
Got it.

I agree with other comments on the quicker pacing of minor league games. They move very quickly.

I wonder if increased offense in mlb is another factor.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

For tonight’s Mets / Braves game in Atlanta they are forecasting wind gusts of up to 40 mph.

That seems hard to believe -- at least Hurricane related though I guess it will be worth watching.

Marietta is another 200 miles WSW of us. Here the gusts here aren't much worse than 25-30 mph (generally 15mph) and the center will be significantly east of me and going north so we're on the weaker side - so far only 1/4 inch rain though that's supposed to be worse tonight. Raleigh (150 miles East) will be a bit closer to the eastern edge of the 'ex-center' and they're getting 25-30 mph/45mph gust this afternoon.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Where to watch Mets/Braves games this weekend:

--Friday’s game will be a local broadcast on SNY in the New York market and on Bally Sports Southeast in Atlanta.
--Saturday and Sunday will be national broadcasts on FOX and ESPN, respectively. Or on MLB.TV.
--Each team’s radio affiliate (WCBS 880 in New York; 680 AM/93.7 FM The Fan in Atlanta) will also broadcast all three games.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
That seems hard to believe -- at least Hurricane related though I guess it will be worth watching.

Marietta is another 200 miles WSW of us. Here the gusts here aren't much worse than 25-30 mph (generally 15mph) and the center will be significantly east of me and going north so we're on the weaker side - so far only 1/4 inch rain though that's supposed to be worse tonight. Raleigh (150 miles East) will be a bit closer to the eastern edge of the 'ex-center' and they're getting 25-30 mph/45mph gust this afternoon.
Almost after I posted it the forecast was updated. I read the gusts would only be up to 20 mph as well. I’m about 45 minutes north east of Atlanta and the winds are only 5 mph currently.

Update- my wife also noted the forecasts here in Georgia seem to be changing constantly.

I don’t have a way to watch the game but I’m glad that Saturday’s game is on network FOX.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yeesh! The Padres' special home uniforms tonight (apparently specific for Friday home games) sure hurt my eyes, LOL! Good thing they're not actually a fave team for me (although I do like to root for them on occasion). Still, hope they don't keep wearing them next year (or during this postseason), LOL... :P

_Man_

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've about had it with the Citi Connects uniforms -- some of them are worse the those softball late 70's and 80's things. Some of them are now getting just ridiculous including the Padres

Braves take g1 and g2 beating DeGrom and Scherzer back to back setting up what will likely be a critical game tomorrow. Evened out the season series head to head 8-8 with Braves now in front by a game. Sunday's game is now a Super-Game and Sudden Death for the tiebreaker in addition to the usual simple game in the standing. Tomorrow essentially becomes a 3 game swing instead the usual 2 game swing for head to head matchup.

Braves magic number to clinch it technically 4 right now, but if they win tomorrow it drops to 1 since they'd have the tiebreaker and a 2 game lead with 3 to play. I guess technically the Mets magic number is 6 right now and would drop to 3 in they win tomorrow

Should be an interesting game Sunday -- probably the Braves most disappointing SP in 2022 (who just got picked up as a 39yo for 20M for next year and team option for 24+ for 2024) vs Bassitt who I'd argue has been overall the Mets best overall SP for the year.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Yeesh! The Padres' special home uniforms tonight (apparently specific for Friday home games) sure hurt my eyes, LOL! Good thing they're not actually a fave team for me (although I do like to root for them on occasion). Still, hope they don't keep wearing them next year (or during this postseason), LOL... :P

_Man_
I doubt any team would be allowed to wear anything other than their usual approved color schemes during the playoffs- any variant would confuse those who don’t usually watch sports, and they would quickly change the channel.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I've about had it with the Citi Connects uniforms -- some of them are worse the those softball late 70's and 80's things. Some of them are now getting just ridiculous including the Padres.
The Padres have been wearing theirs since July. It seems some have just noticed this? They wear them every Friday night game. I've read the Padre fans really like them and the team has won a lot when wearing them. (Dodgers seem to lose when wearing theirs.) I kind of like them. They're very festive. (Yes, they can also be distracting on TV.

The idea behind them from a July article:

The Padres unveiled their Nike City Connect Series jerseys on Friday morning, with a nod to their binational fanbase and colors that highlight the vibrancy of the region's coastal community. The uniforms will wear them for every Friday home game.

The colorful uniforms feature sleeves of pink and mint, with "San Diego" emblazoned across the chest in those same hues. They feature outlines of yellow, and -- taken as a whole -- the uniforms are meant to match the vibrant colors of San Diego's fabled pink and yellow sunsets beyond the Pacific Ocean. They're also a nod to the landscapes and artwork of San Diego and the nearby Baja peninsula. A sizeable portion of the team's fanbase hails from Tijuana, Mexico, and the surrounding areas in Baja California where these colors are a noted staple of the surroundings.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And the beat goes on in St Louis

Pujols with a Double (14th of the year, 686 career), HR (23rd of year, 702 career) and 3 RBI (64 year /2214 career).

2214 Career ties the most recognized of Babe Ruth's career 2214 for #2 all time. There is still some disagreement on Ruth's total, but I think 2214 is currently the official and max number I've seen.

Last edited:

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I went to the final Dodgers game of the season and saw them win their franchise record setting 111th win of the season!

The Rockies got a home run early on and since the Dodgers lost the last three games scoring only 4 runs total. there was uneasiness in the air. But a couple innings later Freddie Freeman tied the game with a home run (RBI #99). Trea Turner followed in the 5th with a 3 run home run which upped his RBI's to #100 for the season. Bellinger had two big hits, one of them a home run. In the 7th, Freeman got a base hit scoring Vargas which gave him RBI #100 to tie Freeman!

Freeman need to go 5-5 to pass Jeff McNeil for the NL batting title. Freeman did go 3-4, a triple shy of the cycle. Freeman end up at .325 to McNeil's .326. Kershaw pitched 5 innings, striking out 9. He was followed by 4 relievers with one inning each, including Craig Kimbrel who let it go with three stirkeouts in a row.

It was a lovely afternoon in Chavez Ravine with a high temperature of 77° and a soft cool breeze blowing in from the San Gabriel Mountains.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
In the 7th, Freeman got a base hit scoring Vargas which gave him RBI #100 to tie Freeman!

I meant to say "...gave him RBI #100 to tie Trea Turner."

stirkeouts

I meant to write strikeouts.

In my defense, when I first wrote that post instead of hitting "post reply," I quit the browser and had to rewrite it.

Anyway...the MLB season is over and everyone is now...silent. ? 😶

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Probably pick up some once the games start

My early picks for MLB awards for 2022

AL Cy Young -- Verlander
NL Cy Young -- Alcantara

AL MVP -- Judge
NL MVP -- Machado

AL ROY -- Julio Rodriguez
NL ROY -- Michael Harris II

AL Manager of the Year -- Terry Francona
NL Manager of the Year -- Dave Roberts

AL Comeback POY -- Verlander
NL Comeback POY -- Cookie Carrasco (though I'm sorely tempted to vote for Pujols). If it happens I think this would be the second first time a player would be comeback POY in each league (Francisco Liriano)

I don't know what kind of an award to give Kyle Wright (ATL) after winning 21 games and basically rescuing his career after multiple years of being the #1 pitching prospect in the system and continually struggling (let's be nice about it) in the majors in 2018/19/20/21.
In his previous 4 years he was 2-8 with an ERA north of 7 in 22 games and had actually gotten worse each year.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Probably pick up some once the games start

My early picks for MLB awards for 2022

AL Cy Young -- Verlander
NL Cy Young -- Alcantara

AL MVP -- Judge
NL MVP -- Machado

AL ROY -- Julio Rodriguez
NL ROY -- Michael Harris II

AL Manager of the Year -- Terry Francona
NL Manager of the Year -- Dave Roberts

AL Comeback POY -- Verlander
NL Comeback POY -- Cookie Carrasco (though I'm sorely tempted to vote for Pujols). If it happens I think this would be the second first time a player would be comeback POY in each league (Francisco Liriano)

I don't know what kind of an award to give Kyle Wright (ATL) after winning 21 games and basically rescuing his career after multiple years of being the #1 pitching prospect in the system and continually struggling (let's be nice about it) in the majors in 2018/19/20/21.
In his previous 4 years he was 2-8 with an ERA north of 7 in 22 games and had actually gotten worse each year.
I wonder if the Phils interim manager gets any consideration for NL manager of the year. Under Girardi, they looked to be dead. With Thomson, they were 19 over
.500, and made the postseason.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
As a Phillies fan Alcantara wasnt cy young award pitcher. 😏
I never liked giving a great player a comeback award for missing time for an injury and then returning and being great again.

Dave Roberts isn’t my manager of the year.
What did he do? He made out a lineup card.
The Dodgers did what they’re supposed to do.
I’d be more inclined to vote for the Cards manager.
They were lingering below the third wild card spot then they Split with the Phillies and that series catapulted them and Pujols.

NL roty I’d go with the guy from the Braves.
Pick one.

And who is Cookie Carrasco?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Also
As a Phillies fan I would love to see Thomson get votes.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I can understand the Verlander Comeback argument, but he didn't just come back. He came back at nearly 40 yo after missing nearly 2 years and pitched better than any pitcher in the majors IMO.

Carlos Cookie Carrasco
Near Cy Young in 2017-2018, survived a cancer diagnosis, but was abysmal in 19/20/21 with combined 10W-16L and ERA 5.5 back to 15 game winner on a playoff team.

My thinking of NL Manager of the Year -- right or wrong I think I can defend the idea.
Dave Roberts had a great set of players given to him, but how many managers have botched up similar collections either significantly underperforming or even missed the playoffs not being able to get all the egos pulling on the same rope and in the same direction. Sometimes not screwing things up is a massive accomplishment by itself, but this team had the potential to basically implode with the number of massive underperforming veterans and injuries. Instead they won 111 with Historic Run Differentials and seemed to pull together even with the players who didn't perform well (or at all). I'd argue that the Padres over the last couple seasons and Yankees many seasons over the last decade had at least equal talent to what the Dodgers started with this year and yet only this years Dodgers team seemed to have come close to getting the number of wins you might have expected much less possibly exceeded expectations.

Half of the studs that were supposed to be the main cogs either didn't perform on the field and/or injury. Roberts lost Kershaw for a significant part of the season, lost Bueller for essentially the whole season given the way he pitched pre-injury, Heaney was gone most of the season. Bellinger, Muncy, Taylor and 1/2 season of J. Turner was terrible. The #2 Urias was the only one of the expected top 5 or 6 expected starters that was healthy the whole season. 1 OF, 2 IF, and a catcher performed at or above their expected levels at least through the All-Star Game. How many teams would have canned Muncy and J Turner and even pulled some effectiveness out of Bellinger/Taylor despite their overall numbers. Did Roberts have some effect at pulling All-Star seasons out of Gonsolin and Tyler Anderson?

A bullpen essentially of patchwork guys -- Graterol, Treinen, Hudson, Kimbrell, and even David Price were supposed to be that backbone of the reliever and all of them had issues that hurt their effectiveness. C'mon who expected Evan Phillips, Vesia, Almonte, Ferguson, Chris Martin to carry the load even at an average level, much less at the dominant level they did.

Tyler Anderson and Tony Gonsolin were supposed to be #6/7 in rotation (not 31-6, 320 innings 2.35) , and a hodgepodge of White/Pepiot/Grove weren't really supposed to be there at all much less pulling a 5-2 record with a sub 4 ERA

If not Roberts:
--- Snitker pulled another good season though I don't think it was way out of line with a WS team.
--- Buck did a great job just getting the Mets to play to a level they probably should have played for several years with almost as good talent as they have this season.
--- With all the trouble in San Diego I could see an argument for Melvin just holding that team together when it appeared they were repeating 2021.
--- Marmol in St Louis isn't a bad choice at all though most of the preseason polls had them winning the Central, but they possibly overperformed overall.

Rob Thomson did a very good job (about 20 games above 500 over 110 games), but I guess I have a hard time voting a manager of the year who was only a manager for less than 2/3 of the season. The 15-20 record in the last 5 weeks during crunch time (7-13 the last 3 weeks) hurts a little and they were on the cusp of missing the playoffs. Overall the team was still a distant 3rd in their division and if Milwaukee had played above 500 the last month (and esp the last 2 weeks) the Phillies would still have been left out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks