What's new

2022 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The Braves front office seems to have done plenty right (at least in terms of actual production vs spending) so far -- and I don't know that you can blame them too much about the Ozuna situation as that signing seemed a pretty good one until it went south in rather unexpected way... and might still turn out ok enough...

For the record I called that signing a very bad signing from day 1, just not for the reason it turned out and now it's looking like a travesty (taken as someone who lived through the far less violent John Rocker years)

He was a 30yo slow footed, virtually no defense, extremely weak armed, one trick pony. He was a DH for the Braves in 2020 and had 3-4 below average or at best average years (for a corner OF or DH ) preceding 2020. He had one way above average year (in 2017) in the 6 years prior to signing in 2020 with the Braves. 2020 was the anomaly though 2021 was the anomaly the other direction.

$65M for 4 years for a player coming off a short season way outside his prior performance with no position to play seems to be a screaming bad signing

Anyway -- probably have said far more than necessary and too many words before ST has even started so I'll bow out until the games start.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That just seems to be the going rate of a player of his caliber, especially after that pretty amazing 2020 short-season run...

According to Fangraphs, he was usually a 2.5-to-3-WAR player w/ 3 isolated years when he far exceeded that, if including the 2020 short season, and yes, they factor in his defense (or lack thereof):

IF he merely produces 2.5 WARs/year, he'd certainly be worth the ~$16M/year AAV signed as FA, but he clearly has/had the upside for much more given the 2-1/2 other, separate seasons when he performed at 4.5-to-5-WAR level...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
FWIW, the Braves seem to have just made another pretty good signing in Colin McHugh...

_Man_

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
^^^ LOL! True. I've disliked him for many years, not as a person, but as a foe. Now I'll adjust to the old adage: "When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change." One local article's headline was: Freeman Joins the Dodgers. I'd say he was anything but free.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Feels soooooooooo good.

20220324_094152.jpg

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Interesting development of free(?) streaming of Friday night baseball coming this season on AppleTV+...

Sounds like you don't even need an actual (paid or trial) subscription of AppleTV+...

Presumably, the usual blackouts of local games still apply though...

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Interesting development of free(?) streaming of Friday night baseball coming this season on AppleTV+...

Sounds like you don't even need an actual (paid or trial) subscription of AppleTV+...

Presumably, the usual blackouts of local games still apply though...

_Man_
21 Yankees games not broadcasting over WPIX Channel 11 this season. Amazon Prime now has those games exclusively for the tri-state area. In Michigan, I'll still be able to watch those 21 games with my DirecTV Extra Innings package as well as those that have MLB.TV that don't live in the tri-state area.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Runner on 2nd
F@@k, F@@k, F@@k
Get rid of that stupid sh@t rule

Apparently the same idiots in control of the Oscars broadcast are in the MLB committee

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Runner on 2nd
F@@k, F@@k, F@@k

Apparently the same idiots in control of the Oscars broadcast are in the MLB committee
Apparently, the players, managers and general managers wanted that rule for 2022 as they're afraid of pitching injuries due to the truncated spring training.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
What is there to announce/explain? The only call is usually safe or out?

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Runner on 2nd
F@@k, F@@k, F@@k

This rule I don’t have nearly as big a problem with as the 3 batter minimum. HATE HATE HATE HATE that rule.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks