What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Does MGM have a distributing deal with Warner?

Apparently so for these films. That surprised me as well that it was coming under the Warner label given the fact that Fox previously handled MGM property from that era.

I look at this as a good thing. If this were part of the Disney library we would never see a 4k disc release.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Apparently so for these films. That surprised me as well that it was coming under the Warner label given the fact that Fox previously handled MGM property from that era.

I look at this as a good thing. If this were part of the Disney library we would never see a 4k disc release.
Come to think about it, I now remembered that I read it somewhere about MGM having the new distribution deal with Warner.

YANG

Supporting Actor
...Some 4k 'upgrades' are only very incremental.
I have a much different view and sight on presentation qualities than what most other may see, limited by just one single display device for movie replay.
if you look at a "true" 4K transfer of 2.35:1 on a fixed 16:9 display, how much "K" aka pixel of the image you really see discounting the black bars? base on my visual "estimate calculation" i would say that's about 2.5K of true image on the 16:9 4K screen of any size.
regular 2K transfer of movies which are sized between 1.66~1.9:1, with auto scale up to 4K to fill up the 16:9, we're getting details that are close to what a 4K 2.3~2.4:1 may offer.
so... is there a need for all movies UHD?
to balance things up, i have 2 screen setup face to face where the small one, picture height is close to what the big screen can deliver with widescreen 2.35:1(average ratio) movies. the small screen TV also act as daily driver for public broadcast where all time 1080i resolution.
i'm getting movies that are 1.66~1.95:1(in some cases 2.0:1 where the black bars are not as thick as those 2.2~2.4:1) in FHDBD and DVD(mostly now new additions will be limited to Horror, Comedy and Animations).
while i would like all my 2.2~2.4:1 movies in UHDBD, i couldn't really afford that as there are just too many titles to catch up on. so, at current stage UHDBD are limited to Epics, Military, Science Fiction, and Disaster flicks. the rest would be in FHDBD.

now is the time for me to re-organize, should my old DVDs are rotting and getting replacements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joss
Recent bookmarks