What's new

2022-2024 Blu-ray, 4K Projects? (1 Viewer)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I love Singin' in the Rain, but with the original three-strip Technicolor negatives for it mostly lost I might pass on the 4k. I still need to consider upgrading to 4k for classic movies where the negatives actually exist, including The Wizard of Oz, The Ten Commandments, Spartacus, Lawrence of Arabia, and Gandhi. The regular blu-rays I have of all of those movies already look great on my 65" tv, but probably the 4k releases would look a bit better?

The Wizard of Oz blu-ray is one I got a dozen years ago, and so it's the 70th anniversary release. How much do those out there who own the 4k UHD 80th of Oz recommend it over that 2009 blu-ray given my 65" screen size?

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
Before the mouse swallowed the Fox I would also have hoped to possibly be able to buy Cleopatra and The Agony and the Ecstasy one day and of course there is Patton that is ready for a UHD release.
Not sure what it will take for Shawn Belston to get work done on the first two or to allow a third party to release Patton.
Are you aware that Schawn Belston no longer works at Disney, but now works as a "Head of Global Delivery" at Amazon Studios?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Are you aware that Schawn Belston no longer works at Disney, but now works as a "Head of Global Delivery" at Amazon Studios?
Certainly not! This is very sad news for the Fox library indeed although I am not surprised about it.

YANG

Screenwriter
any new releases in the 2nd half of the year would not live for long, should there's no new hardwares introduce into the market to prolong the physical media collecting hobby...

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
thanks.
Sorry for making a redundant thread.
james

No problem at all.

I think the rumored titles are the hardest ones to gather and know about.

There’s a preorder list here on htf too. Of course these are confirmed releases.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Do you think The Black Hole and Tron might make it out to 4K?
==jthree

The Black Hole barely made it to BD (it's a Disney Movie Club exclusive). Tron? I dunno. I'm not sure 4K would be much of an improvement over the BD.

Yeah. Pretty much half the film is opticals.
Both fair points, but remember that Tron was shot on 65mm, so notwithstanding opticals, it could largely look good in 4K.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Both fair points, but remember that Tron was shot on 65mm, so notwithstanding opticals, it could largely look good in 4K.
Tron would probably look pretty good. "Opticals" was in reference to The Black Hole.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Any guesses what might be the "BIG" 4K, Blu Ray, and DVD releases for the third and fourth quarter of the year?
I'm anticipating we will get the summer film releases (Top Gun 2, Minions Rise of Gru, Thor 4 etc) out this fall, but do you think we'll get any box sets of tv shows or classic releases in time for the holidays? Granted, the releases won't be quite as numerous as years past, but I do believe there'll be something.

--jthree

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Tron would probably look pretty good. "Opticals" was in reference to The Black Hole.
I strongly doubt that we will see much of a real world increase in detail for Tron. It was partly shot in 65mm but then how much of it was shot outdoors and in daylight?

The only older Disney film that would really have the potential to show substantially increased detail in 4K is The Big Fisherman but it has about as much a chance to make it to UHD disc as Song of the South :)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Any guesses what might be the "BIG" 4K, Blu Ray, and DVD releases for the third and fourth quarter of the year?
I'm anticipating we will get the summer film releases (Top Gun 2, Minions Rise of Gru, Thor 4 etc) out this fall, but do you think we'll get any box sets of tv shows or classic releases in time for the holidays? Granted, the releases won't be quite as numerous as years past, but I do believe there'll be something.

--jthree

Bill Hunt had a decent update on titles the other day.

I’m sure some Christmas titles are coming. I believe Elf is possibly coming in 4k. Hopefully some others will follow. White Christmas would be great in 4k.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Of course this is the best place for upcoming releases:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
WOW! Lost Highway coming to UHD would be great, time to retire that dated Blu-ray:

1654847417266.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks