Valentino

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Deadline

1.) Spider-Man: No Way Home (Sony) 4,336 theaters, Fri $19.65M (-33%)/3-day $92.3M (-65%)/5-day $149.4M/ Total: $478.1MWk 2

2.) Sing 2 (Uni/Ill) 3,892 theaters, Fri $5.25M/3-day$22.76M/5-day+previews: $40M/Wk 1

3.) Matrix Resurrections (WB) 3,552 theaters, Fri $2.7M/3-day $14M/5-day $24M/Wk 1
licorice-pizza.jpg
UAR

4.) The King’s Man (20th/Dis) 3,180 theaters Fri $1.2M/3-day $6.1M/5-day $9.7M/Wk 1

5.) West Side Story (20th/Dis) 2,810 (-10) theaters, Fri $546K (-48%)/3-day $2.675M (-27%)/5-day$4.065M/Total $23.7M/Wk 3

6.) Encanto (Dis) 2,800 (-375) theaters, Fri $496K (-70%)/3-day $1.87M (-71%), 5-day $3.7M/Total $88.1M/Wk 5

7.) Licorice Pizza (UAR) 786 (+781) theaters, Fri $7K/3-day $2.68M (+3053%)/5-day $2.71M/Total $4M/Wk 5

8.) ‘83 (Reliance) 500 theaters, Fri $716K/3-day $2.63M/Wk 1

9.) Ghostbusters: Afterlife (Sony) 1,728 (-1,567) theaters, Fri $265K (-72%) /3-day $1.325M (-61%)/5-day $2.14M/ Total: $120.55M/Wk 6

10.) Nightmare Alley (Sea) 2,135 theaters, Fri $233K (-81%)/3-day: $1.17M (-58%)/5-day $1.74M/Total $5.2M/Wk 2

11.) House of Gucci (UAR/MGM) 907 (-1,000) theaters, /Fri $157K (-73%)/3-day $709K (-64%)/5-day: $1.17MTotal: $46.9M/Wk 5

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
For Bradley Cooper, it was the best of times, it was the worst of times.
I think it was a stupid idea to release Nightmare Alley super-wide against Spider-Man. That's why the more conservative platforming approach that UAR is employing for Licorice Pizza makes sense.

It is also worth noting that Willem Dafoe is beating up on himself as he is in both Spider-Man and Nightmare Alley.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think it was a stupid idea to release Nightmare Alley super-wide against Spider-Man. That's why the more conservative platforming approach that UAR is employing for Licorice Pizza makes sense.

It is also worth noting that Willem Dafoe is beating up on himself as he is in both Spider-Man and Nightmare Alley.
Nightmare Alley would have done better if it had opened on December 3 as originally slated. I don't care if all the movies from Thanksgiving were still playing and that traditionally, new movies don't open that week, it still would have made more money then. Pretty much any other date than against Spider-Man would have been better for it. If NA was finished, they should have opened it in October and even when the mainstream audience was pissed that it wasn't really a horror movie, Disney would have still had their money and more of that money than they ended up getting by opening on December 17.

Anyway, Disney just tossed all of Fox's movies out like trash. I know there's that Affleck movie that must be getting dumped to streaming and Death On The Nile but are there any other Fox movies that Disney has left to quickly put out into the marketplace?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
These are listed as upcoming 20th Century Studios releases at Wikipedia. Many seem to be going to Hulu or D+. Beyond this list, there are 9 other films listed as in "pre-production". Deep Water is the Affleck film that may now go to Hulu. Prey is the Predator prequel.

1640621156159.png

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Nightmare Alley would have done better if it had opened on December 3 as originally slated. I don't care if all the movies from Thanksgiving were still playing and that traditionally, new movies don't open that week, it still would have made more money then. Pretty much any other date than against Spider-Man would have been better for it. If NA was finished, they should have opened it in October and even when the mainstream audience was pissed that it wasn't really a horror movie, Disney would have still had their money and more of that money than they ended up getting by opening on December 17.

Anyway, Disney just tossed all of Fox's movies out like trash. I know there's that Affleck movie that must be getting dumped to streaming and Death On The Nile but are there any other Fox movies that Disney has left to quickly put out into the marketplace?
The only showing of Nightmare Alley at the local theater is one daily matinee at 3pm. Otherwise they're using that theater for additional Spider-Man shows.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Deep Water is the Affleck film that may now go to Hulu.
Deadline confirmed the move to Hulu, so that is certain now. But a premiere date has not yet been set.

The only showing of Nightmare Alley at the local theater is one daily matinee at 3pm.
That is likely a formality because the contract probably requires them to run it for however many weeks. I'm sure they'll dump it as soon as their contractual obligation has been filled. It already left my local multiplex after six days. It is still accessible here at my local arthouse, which isn't showing Spider-Man. But even the arthouse (where The Shape of Water was their all-time top grosser for that theater) moved Nightmare Alley off its biggest screen to make room for Licorice Pizza there.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m not questioning Del Toro’s talent but I think it is fair to point out that in general, his films are not overwhelmingly popular box office smashes when they open. I don’t think this film was ever a sure thing. It seems clear that it’s not something audiences are looking to leave the house for right now.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I’m not questioning Del Toro’s talent but I think it is fair to point out that in general, his films are not overwhelmingly popular box office smashes when they open. I don’t think this film was ever a sure thing. It seems clear that it’s not something audiences are looking to leave the house for right now.
He and his projects have never been a huge box office draw. Blade II, Hellboy, Pan's Labyrinth, and Pacific Rim did OK, but none were runaway blockbusters. The Shape of Water was probably his most profitable hit and kind of a surprise at the box office, IMO. At least it surprised me, as I didn't think it was that good and was shocked that it was nominated for so many Oscars, let alone winning. Nightmare Alley probably should have/would have done better with a different release date.

I still say the marketing for NA was awful. It didn't really provide any insight into what the film was about. I know some here like that, so they can go into a film mostly cold, but there's a large part of the audience that likes to know something about the film before they go, and whether it's something they might enjoy, considering the costs.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Nightmare Alley probably should have/would have done better with a different release date.
Absolutely. It's not a mainstream movie so it never would have been a legitimate hit but it would have done better at pretty much any other release date.

That being said, I'm sure its financial failure will only help its cult appeal and build its future fanbase in the long run.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Del Toro has weathered financial failures before -- Hellboy II: The Golden Army was stupidly released only a week before The Dark Knight went after the exact same audience and was crushed -- and once again, he will pick himself up and keep going again. He seems like a director that a studio hires because he is going to make a great movie, not necessarily because he is going to break box office records. It is always sad to see a highly acclaimed film not connecting with audiences, but I don't think this is going to hurt his reputation or his career at all.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ouch. Warner Bros. has to be relieved that the idiotic simultaneous free streaming year on HBO Max is almost over.
Except as noted by Jake in The Batman thread, WB has already shot themselves in the foot again with that film by announcing, well before the theatrical release, a firm date when it will debut on HBOMax. So now everyone knows if they don't go to the theater, they can stream it just 40-something days later.

They continue to do everything possible to undermine their theatrical releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks