What's new

2021-2022 NFL Season (1 Viewer)

Which QB will have the most success this season?

• Carson Wentz - Colts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matt Stafford - Rams

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Trevor Lawrence - Jaguars

• Jimmy Garoppolo -49ers

• Ryan Fitzpatrick - Redskins

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Cam Newton - Patriots

• Jalen Hurts - Eagles

• Justin Fields - Bears

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Mac Jones

• Zach Wilson -Jets

• Sam Darnold - Panthers

• Jameis Winston - Saints

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Green Bay's special teams have been an issue all season. Questions are going to be asked why nothing was done about the situation. Firing the ST coordinator now would be closing the barn door after all the horses got out.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
AA-Ron first team to win 13 games three years in a row and not even get to the Super bowl.

Hate to see it.

Green Bay had it all lined up to get back to the Super Bowl this year. Then Aaron and the offense ran into the 49er defense and managed only a single TD drive. Basically, that's not good enough in a home playoff game. Yes, the Packers special team units were lousy but in the regular season they overcame that pretty much every time.

They rack up regular season wins but come playoff time there were no heroics from Aaron. So, I think we all know how pissed off Aaron gets when he makes the playoffs and tanks. Last year I think he basically blamed it on the coaching and organization. This year who is he going to blame?

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Rodgers is now 11-10 in the postseason, with just 1 Super Bowl appearance- 11 years ago. Seems to me when Aaron doesn’t play out of his mind, the Packers lose. They’ve been way too reliant on him
for years.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
It's the first time since 2010, that both #1 seeds got knocked out during the divisional round.

I thought this was a great year to make the playoffs because pretty much every team that is in can beat the other teams. It can make for fun close games and surprise endings. I wish the Chargers had got in, they have serious run defense issues but would have been fun to see Herbert in a playoff game.

The Titans did get the 1 seed but I don't think they were actually the best team. Really, the two best teams in the AFC play tonight. So, I definitely gave the Bengals an excellent chance to beat the Titans. Glad they did as I would rather watch Burrow go against whichever QB wins tonight. That way we get a game that features good QBs that can bring their team back if they are down. Tannehill is an average QB, he can start in the league, he can help win games, but he is not going to be a difference maker in tough match-ups or come playoff time.

I would think the list of big name QBs that want to change teams would all have the Titans on their list of potential landing spots but...this does not seem to be the case.

I don't know where Aaron Rodgers plans to go if he leaves Green Bay, which right now he probably really wants to do, but the Titans should be a team his agent calls. Not sure there is a better option to step onto a team that is playoff built and ready that really seems a QB away from being Super Bowl contenders.

Oddly, Vrabel seems to stick by Tannehill.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Everybody is talking about Aaron Rodgers or SF special teams, but Jimmy Garoppolo did not screw the pooch late in the fourth. Somebody needs to say it. The Rams or Bucs figure to take care of SF but honestly I thought the Cowboys likely would, and then I was almost certain GB would. Maybe Jimmy G and that SF defense has something going. We'll see.

The 49ers are not a team to sleep on. They were the team that got in that other NFC teams did not want to have to face. Garoppolo is not a great QB but he has enough talent around him that he can make plays that will win games. He did nothing spectacular in the game but he kept his team in it. The 49ers do have playmakers and they will play you tough. If you let them linger and stick around into the 4th quarter, look out, they can beat you.

We will see if the Rams or Buccs advance and host the 49ers. What I would say is I think the 49ers are capable of beating either of those teams. The 49ers seemed to end that game in Green Bay pretty badly banged up so they will face a big challenge no matter what team they face. They are tough though, so I expect they will show up to play.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The 49ers are not a team to sleep on. They were the team that got in that other NFC teams did not want to have to face. Garoppolo is not a great QB but he has enough talent around him that he can make plays that will win games. He did nothing spectacular in the game but he kept his team in it. The 49ers do have playmakers and they will play you tough. If you let them linger and stick around into the 4th quarter, look out, they can beat you.
We did not get home until over halfway through the 2nd quarter, but from what I saw the best thing that could be said about Garoppolo is he didn't cost the Niners the game. He did nothing until that final drive to set up the winning FG, and made a few poor passes that could have easily gone for a pick six and cost them the game. He was more lucky than anything. IMO, he's a mediocre QB. With the offensive talent on that team -- Samuel, Kittle, Mitchell, etc. -- that offense should be better. The defense, special teams and weather won the game for SF.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
We did not get home until over halfway through the 2nd quarter, but from what I saw the best thing that could be said about Garoppolo is he didn't cost the Niners the game. He did nothing until that final drive to set up the winning FG, and made a few poor passes that could have easily gone for a pick six and cost them the game. He was more lucky than anything. IMO, he's a mediocre QB. With the offensive talent on that team -- Samuel, Kittle, Mitchell, etc. -- that offense should be better. The defense, special teams and weather won the game for SF.

I think that is why Shanahan wants to switch to Trey Lance next season. Lance, physically, has the tools but when he saw significant playing time the game seemed to be moving way to fast for him. Basically understandable as the competition level he played against in college is nothing like what he faces in the NFL. He is a project but has the skill set Shanahan wants. Lance will be one of the tests to see how good Shanahan is. If he turns the kid into a legit franchise QB, well, hats off to Shanahan then.

Funny, Aaron Rodgers dream scenario would be to somehow be playing for the 49ers next season. If he did, the 49ers would be the NFC Super Bowl favorite coming into the 2022 season. However, the gymnastics that would need to be done to get Rodgers onto the 49ers seem near impossible.

So, I expect Garoppolo to be playing for another team next season. I have no idea who as I think he won't really get looked at until where Rodgers, Wilson, and Watson are going to be playing is determined.

The rumors have really heated up that Denver is determined to sign one of those big three and will go hard to try and land one of them. It will be interesting how that plays out because the landscape has changed.

Watson supposedly wanted to go to the Dolphins because he wanted to play for Flores. Now is Watson watching where Flores might land? If the Giants sign Flores will Watson try to angle to get to the Giants? Wilson supposedly also has an interest in playing for the Giants, or did, now the team is going into a big rebuild which I thought he wanted to avoid in Seattle.

I've seen nothing to connect Wilson, Rodgers, or Watson to the Titans. I have seen the Panthers mentioned as a team that may go hard after one of these three QBs.

The Dolphins, once the favorite to land Watson, now are in rebuild mode again. Are they still a destination for any of the veteran QBs that want to change teams?

Also, the Brady retirement rumors are heating up. If the Buccaneers get back to the Super Bowl, I think Brady might actually retire. If he did, I think the Buccaneers would go after one of the big three available QBs.

There are certainly many moving pieces that will have to fall into place for next season.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The rumors have really heated up that Denver is determined to sign one of those big three and will go hard to try and land one of them. It will be interesting how that plays out because the landscape has changed.
If the Broncos do acquire one of the big name veteran QBs, I wouldn't mind seeing the Steelers make a play for Drew Lock. He would probably be pretty cheap to obtain, so he would be worth a shot next season. He certainly couldn't be any worse than Rudolph or Haskins.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
If the Broncos do acquire one of the big name veteran QBs, I wouldn't mind seeing the Steelers make a play for Drew Lock. He would probably be pretty cheap to obtain, so he would be worth a shot next season. He certainly couldn't be any worse than Rudolph or Haskins.
Lock wouldn’t likely cost a lot, so it’s a low risk/high reward scenario. Lock has started only 21 games for the Broncos, and rumors are they want someone else. Is it me, or is it now accepted that teams are showing less patience with head coaches and QBs compared to just a few years ago?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Lock wouldn’t likely cost a lot, so it’s a low risk/high reward scenario. Lock has started only 21 games for the Broncos, and rumors are they want someone else. Is it me, or is it now accepted that teams are showing less patience with head coaches and QBs compared to just a few years ago?
It's not you as that is the new reality in today's NFL. Matter of fact, it's the new reality across sports including college football and basketball.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
That's exactly my thought. The Steelers have a lot of holes to fill, so obtaining for cheap (maybe a middle round draft pick) a young QB who may still develop into something would be the ideal scenario for them, especially when you look at what else is available via free agency or the draft. Lock may end up being a bust, but he could also just need a little more development time. It shouldn't cost much to find out, and Pittsburgh has little to lose -- they will not be a contender next season anyway with their current QB situation.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

I do think they have less patience and part of that is likely due to some guys having sudden success. The issue is, I think the situation has to be there to have sudden success and a lot of these teams that are showing less patience just do not have the parts in place to have sudden success.

Like Arians and Brady had sudden success in Tampa but there were parts in place and Brady drew other players in to help them. The Jaguars when they added their new head coach and first pick of the draft QB did not have the parts in place. I would have expected at least a three year rebuild there. Same with the Jets. They bring in the new coach and 1st round QB but the parts are not there to start winning.

Same with the Texans, they did not have parts in place to win right away and they really can't even start their rebuild until they move Watson so they just hire and fire a coach because...well...why not? If you look at how the Texans handle everything, they are a team that totally screws themselves. It is pathetic but they have absolutely no clue what they are doing.

The Giants went into a rebuild, had the wrong guy in charge of the rebuild, he made horrible choices, and so whatever coach they brought in was spinning his wheels and was doomed to be fired. So, now the Giants reset again. Hopefully this time to better results.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
That's exactly my thought. The Steelers have a lot of holes to fill, so obtaining for cheap (maybe a middle round draft pick) a young QB who may still develop into something would be the ideal scenario for them, especially when you look at what else is available via free agency or the draft. Lock may end up being a bust, but he could also just need a little more development time. It shouldn't cost much to find out, and Pittsburgh has little to lose -- they will not be a contender next season anyway with their current QB situation.

It raises the question though, should the Steelers go ahead and start Rudolph or Haskins and have the bad season to angle to draft a new QB in 2023?

I mean getting Lock would be interesting. I honestly don't know how he would impact the Steelers. I mean when you add a QB you can kind of look at them as this guy probably means we win X more games with him as the starter. With Lock I think the X might equal 0.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It raises the question though, should the Steelers go ahead and start Rudolph or Haskins and have the bad season to angle to draft a new QB in 2023?

I mean getting Lock would be interesting. I honestly don't know how he would impact the Steelers. I mean when you add a QB you can kind of look at them as this guy probably means we win X more games with him as the starter. With Lock I think the X might equal 0.
The Steelers have never had a mentality of tanking on purpose for a better draft pick, so I doubt that enters into the equation. Right now, though, they are talking about Rudolph being given a chance to be the starter next season. His contract was extended one season last winter with this in mind, so it's not a new idea there. They picked up Haskins for no cost, which I didn't mind, but he doesn't look like the answer, either. So, even if Lock doesn't end up moving the needle after being obtained, there should be little investment lost. I cannot imagine the trade cost would be any more than a 4th round pick, so it's worth the small gamble. It certainly makes more sense than using a low first round pick (20th overall) on a QB in this weak draft, especially when there are so many other needs that must be addressed -- offensive line, defensive line, inside linebacker, cornerback, etc. If it doesn't work out, they can still go after a QB in the 2023 draft, but if Lock does take that next step, then they get their QB really cheap.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The Steelers have never had a mentality of tanking on purpose for a better draft pick, so I doubt that enters into the equation. Right now, though, they are talking about Rudolph being given a chance to be the starter next season. His contract was extended one season last winter with this in mind, so it's not a new idea there. They picked up Haskins for no cost, which I didn't mind, but he doesn't look like the answer, either. So, even if Lock doesn't end up moving the needle after being obtained, there should be little investment lost. I cannot imagine the trade cost would be any more than a 4th round pick, so it's worth the small gamble. It certainly makes more sense than using a low first round pick (20th overall) on a QB in this weak draft, especially when there are so many other needs that must be addressed -- offensive line, defensive line, inside linebacker, cornerback, etc. If it doesn't work out, they can still go after a QB in the 2023 draft, but if Lock does take that next step, then they get their QB really cheap.

If I were the Steelers I would not draft a QB in this year's draft. So, I agree on that 100%. I also agree that I don't see the Steelers really chasing any QBs of any significance in a trade or free agency. Maybe they pick-up one of the veteran players that gets dumped by another team as insurance. I do think most likely Rudolph gets the job and probably Haskins gets to compete with him for it. If Denver does land one of the big three QBs then obviously Bridgewater is probably available and it would not surprise me at all to see the Steelers pick-up a guy like that. Basically, though I think they make no big move at QB, probably look at that more seriously in 2023.

That Steeler offense was terrible this year and I suspect may be even worse next season. The three teams in their division, I would predict, will all be better than them next season. My guess would be that the Steelers very well could be drafting in the top ten picks in 2023.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, looking at the QB situation and where things are at:

Russell Wilson - This guy appears to really want and need a change of scenery. What he has done so far is have his people leak a list of preferred destinations and then also leak that the chances he would stay in Seattle would increase if Pete Carroll left. OK, based on that it would seem that Wilson does not feel Seattle will be a winning team with Carroll as their HC. Carroll seems not to intend to leave the Seahawks right now. Now, obviously there seems to be no reason why the Seahawks should want to get rid of Wilson. He is still a good player (though some NFL experts claim he is on the decline) and he appears to be a model citizen and good guy. If you trade him you are in rebuild mode. Not much is really being said by Carroll or the Seahawks about this situation, which really is probably smart if you are going to trade him. Hold your cards close to the vest and let the teams that want him come to you.

Aaron Rodgers - Well, Rodgers let the world know he wanted the hell out of Green Bay at the end of last season. He did not make it out and so played for them again this season. They were one and done in the playoffs, Rodgers appears disgusted with the team, and seems to still want out. I think we can now see why Rodgers tried to shoot his way out of Green Bay before the 2021 draft. He wanted to go to San Francisco and so did not want them to draft a QB...oops, they did. The rumor is that the 49ers did call Green Bay about trading for Rodgers and the Packers gave them a price for Rodgers...which the 49ers thought was so outrageously high they walked away and drafted Trey Lance instead. Basically, the guess here is that if the Packers were to trade Rodgers they no way in hell wanted to trade him to San Francisco. In fact the rumor was the Packers made it known to Rodgers and anyone interested they would trade him to an AFC team only. Not sure that still stands but knowing how bitter these two sides are that is probably still true. Rodgers has not leaked a list of preferred destinations as Wilson did. All Rodgers seems to have indicated was San Francisco was his first choice and other than that moving west of Green Bay is what he would like to do. Where does that leave him as options? Well, Denver and New Orleans and if Wilson does leave the Seahawks, Seattle. Somehow I figure if Wilson is trying to get out of Seattle then Rodgers will likely not be looking to step into that job. So, Denver and New Orleans appear to be it. There are other teams that need a QB but none that we know of that Rodgers wants to go to. Also if the Packers are sticking to AFC only to trade him, that would take New Orleans off the list. Plus New Orleans should also be a suitor for Wilson as he would fit perfectly there and they were on his list of preferred destinations. There is one team that is now a wild card in this hunt for veteran QBs, the Colts. Word is the Colts are pondering moving on from Wentz and if they did, they too are interested in Rodgers, Wilson, and Watson. I actually think the Colts may end up being Rodgers choice if they dump Wentz and he gets out of Green Bay. We also know that Rodgers has said he wants nothing to do with a team that has to rebuild...this greatly narrows his options.

Deshaun Watson - Well, the claims are the Texans have come down in price in what they will take for Watson. The truth is when Watson and the team made it clear he would not suit up for the Texans ever again...well...his value went down. Everybody knows the Texans have to move him and so they are over a barrel and that is their own doing. Also there are rumors that somebody made a giant offer to land Watson back before the season and the Texans passed. Probably that turns out a bad move. So, where does Watson want to go? Interestingly his first choice was the Dolphins with Flores as the HC. Flores is now job hunting so I have a feeling the Dolphins are no longer on the list. Watson was supposedly also interested in the Giants. Now if Flores goes there does that become a bigger thing? Flores was said not to be high on Tua and so may have been the man behind wanting to bring Watson to the Dolphins. I really doubt Flores will be high on Daniel Jones if he goes to New York. Both the Panthers and Broncos are said to have an interest in Watson. It is pretty hard to say where he will go and his legal issues are still up in the air. I do believe Watson gets to approve his trade so wherever he goes, he has a say in it.

Neither Wilson nor Rodgers have to move. The rumors that they will have been created by them. Their teams did not initiate this stuff.

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Is it me, or does it look like Brady wants no part of getting hit today? Looks like he has happy feet.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Demi Lovato Popcorn GIF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks