What's new

2021-2022 NFL Season (2 Viewers)

Which QB will have the most success this season?

• Carson Wentz - Colts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matt Stafford - Rams

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Trevor Lawrence - Jaguars

• Jimmy Garoppolo -49ers

• Ryan Fitzpatrick - Redskins

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Cam Newton - Patriots

• Jalen Hurts - Eagles

• Justin Fields - Bears

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Mac Jones

• Zach Wilson -Jets

• Sam Darnold - Panthers

• Jameis Winston - Saints

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The difference was that Philip Rivers was a key element of the implosions of the past, throwing picks all over the field. Now they have a better QB.

I don't recall seeing the Najee Harris hit, but I agree Heyward is likely to be fined for punching Herbert in the stomach while he was lying on the ground. I was surprised Heyward didn't get ejected.

Variations of the replay

Another couple variations and a bit of guarded commentary -- many other non-Steeler Football boards aren't being nearly as nice.

Heck, if he had a "weighted, hardened" guard undernath his elbow sleeve, it would have been right out of Longest Yard or MASH (movie)

The funniest story of the day that fits right in with that vein

The difference was that Philip Rivers was a key element of the implosions of the past, throwing picks all over the field. Now they have a better QB.

I don't recall seeing the Najee Harris hit, but I agree Heyward is likely to be fined for punching Herbert in the stomach while he was lying on the ground. I was surprised Heyward didn't get ejected.
I remember some of those with Fouts and Brees as well so not entirely Phil Rivers specific (though he was pretty good at it in NFL and even College), plus any number of FG kickers.

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Yes that unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on Jonah Jackson happened during a timeout after the Browns punted the ball to them, so instead of 1st and 10, the Lions had to go 25 yards to move the chains- something that offense has zero shot to do these days.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Anyone find it humorous that Justin Herbert, who is having a great year, is not included in the QB poll? Boy the Voldemorts got shaky in the 4th quarter. You gotta admire their final TD drive and the defense shutting down the Steelers with about two minutes to go.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Anyone find it humorous that Justin Herbert, who is having a great year, is not included in the QB poll? Boy the Voldemorts got shaky in the 4th quarter. You gotta admire their final TD drive and the defense shutting down the Steelers with about two minutes to go.
Not really as most of those QBs listed in this poll have question marks and/or moved to new teams. The poll isn't about the best QBs in the NFL which is why Brady, Rodgers and some of the better QBs weren't listed.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Man, the Giants stink! If the Giants owners don't fire Gettleman after the season then I think Giants fans need to turn in their season tickets.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
So much for Tom’s losing streak. Amazing.
Fans can fairly say that he’s had the benefit of playing in a division for 19 years that his team was virtually guaranteed a playoff spot, and he’s benefitted from more QB friendly rules against hits, and rules that favor the passing game, but he still has had to get it done. He’s one of the best QBs ever in making the tough throws on 3rd down to keep the chains moving.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Fans can fairly say that he’s had the benefit of playing in a division for 19 years that his team was virtually guaranteed a playoff spot, and he’s benefitted from more QB friendly rules against hits, and rules that favor the passing game, but he still has had to get it done. He’s one of the best QBs ever in making the tough throws on 3rd down to keep the chains moving.
Whenever I watch Brady, it looks like he is playing 3D chess while the defense is playing checkers. His football IQ is as good as I've ever seen. He can still make all the throws, too. It's amazing how well he is still playing at his age.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Whenever I watch Brady, it looks like he is playing 3D chess while the defense is playing checkers. His football IQ is as good as I've ever seen. He can still make all the throws, too. It's amazing how well he is still playing at his age.
Brady is great, but let's be honest, the Giants pass rush was awful last night and you give a great QB time to throw the ball, he's going to pick apart any defense, especially with today's NFL rules slanted towards the offensive players in place.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

If you mean the poll at the top of this thread, as Robert points out, the QBs in that poll were ones that had questions about how they would perform because they switched teams, were rookies, or guys at a junction in their career, like Cam Newton.

Guys I assumed would have success I did not include. Herbert, after watching him perform in his rookie season I thought was going to just get better. I can't think of a rookie like him any time in the last couple of decades that stepped onto the field and looked like a veteran. From the second he stepped onto the field he was reading defenses, had a full grasp of the game, saw the field beautifully, and can make every throw. It was extremely impressive.

Watching Herbert this season it is easy to forget he is just in his second year. While you usually get a young QB that might step onto the field with a couple aspects of their game that are outstanding, Herbert has it all. He was never shocked by the speed of the pro game, the complexity of the defenses, they did not put training wheels on him and simplify reading the field...he just looked like he had been playing in the NFL for years right from his first game. Kind of amazing really.

However, before he dropped in the draft he was listed for years as the top QB prospect. Then the hype train arrived and Burrow and Tua shot up past Herbert. Honestly, in that 2020 draft I was biting my nails because I wanted the Chargers to draft Herbert but the Dolphins were in front of them. When draft day arrived there had been some questions about Tua's health and I thought the Dolphins were going to take Herbert...which I bet they wish they had now...so when Herbert fell to the Chargers I was thrilled. I thought he was the best QB in that draft and we are only in his second season but he sure looks like he is.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
However, before he dropped in the draft he was listed for years as the top QB prospect. Then the hype train arrived and Burrow and Tua shot up past Herbert
I guess you’re saying Herbert didn’t so much drop as Burrow and Tua rose in the draft? Thanks for the explanation for the poll, I get it now.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

I don't know what he did when he went to Tampa, maybe just being on a new team reinvigorated him, but unlike his last few years in New England he has not begun to look tired as the season wore on. Brady, despite all his TB12 method stuff, showed definite arm weakening or tired arm in his last 5 seasons with the Patriots as they got deeper into the season. So much so that in those years the Patriots put him on a pitch count in practice because it was obvious as they got deeper into the season Tom was losing velocity on his throws. I definitely think this was a part of why Belichick was alright moving on from Brady.

This is normal for older QBs. A drastic case was the last few years of Peyton Manning's career. His drop off came quickly in his later seasons. Saw it with Rivers as well. He could start strong and then in November and December you could see he was having issues making the same throws he was able to make earlier in the season. We are watching Big Old Ben struggling with this now.

Brady in Tampa seems to have, at least at the moment, overcome this issue. I don't know how he has done it or if they have him on a practice pitch count or what. He seems to have more velocity on his throws and his arm does not seem to be getting weaker as the season goes on. Honestly, that's not normal but mostly nothing about Brady has been normal.

From what I am seeing, Tom has had more velocity and thrown the ball better in Tampa than he did in his last 5 seasons with the Patriots. He is now talking about attempting to play until he is 50 or close to it. Which would be insane.

I keep waiting for him to come to the cliff. There is generally a point in a QB's career where the drop off happens. Sometimes it is a slide, sometimes it is a cliff. For a guy his age I am expecting the cliff. I thought we were seeing the slide in New England. Now he looks almost like he got in a time machine and went back to 2007. Not normal.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Well this is embarassing.
1637682415047.png

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I guess you’re saying Herbert didn’t so much drop as Burrow and Tua rose in the draft? Thanks for the explanation for the poll, I get it now.

Yes, I guess he did not really drop as the trend now is that as the draft approaches some guys suddenly ride a hype wave up to the top of the draft. I said drop because until Burrow has his big season and even while he was having it, Herbert was still rated as the number 1 QB prospect. Then Borrow has this massive year at LSU and so he gets a huge hype boost which he rides all the way up to the number one pick. Tua was a type of QB that the NFL coaches seem to want to become the "new" prototype QB. Running and throwing threat. I think the Dolphins were hoping for a Kyler Murray type but they kind of got more a Tyrod Taylor type.

Herbert obviously fell behind Burrow because of his massive single season. He fell behind Tua because the Dolphins had fallen in love with Tua, the whole tank for Tua thing, and they thought he would be a better version of Lamar Jackson. Herbert was the "boring" prototype NFL QB. They also claimed he had accuracy issues. Anybody that has watched Herbert play for the Chargers has seen that he is mostly stunningly accurate. He not only understands ball placement, he does it so well some of his throws no matter short, medium, or deep, almost look like handoffs. My feeling is he is only going to get better.

Now, will the Chargers build a team around him that can win Super Bowls? This is the question. I am not entirely sold on Brandon Staley. His coaching decisions during games can look amazingly erratic. So, hopefully he gets better as he goes as well.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
the Giants pass rush was awful last night
Was there one? I must have missed it.

Brady in Tampa seems to have, at least at the moment, overcome this issue. I don't know how he has done it or if they have him on a practice pitch count or what.
Could be the weather. Lots of geezers move south to improve their health. Most of football season is a hell of a lot warmer in Tampa than in Foxboro.

I don't think he's on a pitch count in practice, as the announcers were talking during the game last night that they've talked to Bucs players who say they've never been on a team where the starting QB made so many passes during the week in practice. If anything, Brady makes more passes in practice than most QBs.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Well this is embarassing. View attachment 119557

At the time I put those names up, and Mac Jones was a late edition, I honestly did not expect Jones to be starting for the Patriots. I thought it would be Newton. I did expect Newton to be playing his last season in New England and I wondered how that would go. He did not look great in his season starting for the Patriots.

Justin Fields was a different case. Everybody in Chicago wanted him to start from day one. They had Andy Dalton and Nick Foles on the roster and neither of those guys excited anyone. So, I think people expected Fields would beat out Dalton and Foles and take over the job fairly quickly. Plus the media was hyping the crap out of Fields and saying he should start. I think Nagy was the only guy in Chicago arguing that Fields was not ready. Frankly, Nagy was right but ownership overruled him and they have thrown Fields to the wolves. The hope is obviously Fields gets better with playing time.

Jones picked up the New England offense much faster than Newton. He knew it better than Newton so quickly that McDaniels decided that Jones was the better option after Belichick had said Newton was their starter. Obviously, Bill went with McDaniel's call.

McDaniels has obviously done a tremendous job working with Jones. They started slow and cautious with him and as the season has gone on they expand what he can do. I don't think Jones is a stunning QB talent but he has certainly been beautifully coached to make the most of his skill set. His skill set also fits perfectly with the Patriots offensive scheme. So, he is making the most of that. Newton never fit that scheme. Different type of player that needs to be slotted into a scheme that works for his skill set.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Lucky for Herbert he 'dropped' to a team that had some talent. Burrow I still think was/is a very good QB prospect, Tua I had questions about even at Alabama then the multiple injuries hit. I would never have drafted Tua that high in the first round, but that why the Dolphins are who they are. Both Tua and Burrow ended up on teams with multiple needs including no offensive lines and unfortunately both have paid teh physical penalty. I would love to see what Burrow could do on a good team

Tua was very good on those no decision throws, but he always had trouble if you covered the primary receiver and slants plus rushed him. In college it was known he had trouble making progressions through receivers and his accuracy went to to toilet when he had to make a last second choice (like they were talking about with Jones last night) -- luckily he had 4 1st Round receivers, 5 NFL capable offensive linemen, and 3 1st/2nd round Running Backs as support so he had tons of weapons at Alabama. I was much more impressed with Jones in 2020 than Tua in 2019 before he got hurt. He looks 3 steps slow compared to 2018-2019. I just don't know how much those 2 ankles and the final hip surgery has cost him -- even in no read situations now he seems to have issues though is looking better the last few games. Hopefully once his health is 100% and he gets a couple years experience under his belt. When he was initially injured and had the posterior Hip fracture, I seriously wondered if he was ever going to play again so like TJ and Labrum surgery in MLB, maybe this is an injury that takes 2+ year to fully recover the leg/hip/back strength to throw the ball properly.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Saints signed Taysom Hill to a four year contract extension, with $22M guaranteed and a worth of up to over $90M if he reaches full time starting QB status. I just do not get Sean Payton's love for this guy. Every time he would pull Drew Brees out of the game to put Hill in I would just shake my head. He's an average tight end, at best, and his arm is not really NFL caliber to start at QB.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The Saints signed Taysom Hill to a four year contract extension, with $22M guaranteed and a worth of up to over $90M if he reaches full time starting QB status. I just do not get Sean Payton's love for this guy. Every time he would pull Drew Brees out of the game to put Hill in I would just shake my head. He's an average tight end, at best, and his arm is not really NFL caliber to start at QB.
There must be something about Hill that they’re not sold on- if they liked his ability to play QB, he would have been the starter from day 1 this year, instead of Winston.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks