What's new

2021-2022 NFL Season (1 Viewer)

Which QB will have the most success this season?

• Carson Wentz - Colts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matt Stafford - Rams

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Trevor Lawrence - Jaguars

• Jimmy Garoppolo -49ers

• Ryan Fitzpatrick - Redskins

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Cam Newton - Patriots

• Jalen Hurts - Eagles

• Justin Fields - Bears

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Mac Jones

• Zach Wilson -Jets

• Sam Darnold - Panthers

• Jameis Winston - Saints

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
With the QB situation in the league somebody is going to sign Cam Newton. It will be interesting to see who. I would think that maybe the Redskins would find Newton an upgrade over Fitzpatrick...wouldn't they?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am surprised New England actually released Newton. Is Brian Hoyer really a better backup than Cam?

I wouldn't mind seeing the Steelers kick the tires on Newton. He's certainly better than Mason Rudolph or Dwayne Haskins as insurance for Big Ben. Pittsburgh rarely makes those kinds of pickups, though, so I doubt they go there.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
With the QB situation in the league somebody is going to sign Cam Newton. It will be interesting to see who. I would think that maybe the Redskins would find Newton an upgrade over Fitzpatrick...wouldn't they?
Sure wouldn’t look good for Cam if Rivera isn’t interested in bringing him in (not really a Cam fan, but I’d take him in a heartbeat over Stinky Fitz).

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I am surprised New England actually released Newton. Is Brian Hoyer really a better backup than Cam?

I wouldn't mind seeing the Steelers kick the tires on Newton. He's certainly better than Mason Rudolph or Dwayne Haskins as insurance for Big Ben. Pittsburgh rarely makes those kinds of pickups, though, so I doubt they go there.

I think it is a system fit deal and Newton would loom large sitting behind the rookie leaving a feeling there could be a quick hook to pull him. Newton has a totally different style and skill set than Jones. Hoyer is both a coach and a back-up and I believe they will keep Stidham as well. Plus all three of these QBs fit the system and have a similar style. It just means the Patriots will now tailor the offense to one style one system all three QBs will function in. They plan on being a heavy run team this season anyway so probably don't have any issue with letting Cam go.

Newton did not outplay Jones and had a couple issues that aggravated Belichick so he was expendable. Is he better than Hoyer? Yes, as a player but maybe not as a fit for the team.

As I understand it the Steelers were quickly asked about Newton and appear not to be interested. I do think that with being cut Newton is a back-up now in most people's eyes.

As Jeff says if his old coach does not bring him to Washington with what they currently have on the roster for QBs, why would anybody else think of him as a starter?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Of the three QB's that the Patriots had on the field in pre-season, Newton definitely seemed like #3.

That said, in the age of COVID they were speculating on TV this weekend on whether it might be smart to keep a 3rd QB in semi-quarantine in case your starter and backup become positive or are close contacts to someone who is, in which case you'd be without a QB.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

No, Hoyer isn't better than Cam as the backup. Obviously, Belichick decided the Mac Jones era in New England has begun and didn't want Cam around as a distraction if Jones struggles a bit during the season. So there won't be any calls from the media and/or fans for Cam to take over during those struggles. I give Belichick credit for making this decision, but you can do that, when you've won so many SBs.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Of the three QB's that the Patriots had on the field in pre-season, Newton definitely seemed like #3.

That said, in the age of COVID they were speculating on TV this weekend on whether it might be smart to keep a 3rd QB in semi-quarantine in case your starter and backup become positive or are close contacts to someone who is, in which case you'd be without a QB.

Well, Newton played less than Jones and when he did play he looked just OK. It seems it has been a long time since he was the player he was when he played well for the Panthers. He seems to have more accuracy issues now, making off target throws. Everybody that watched Jones has said he is more accurate with the ball than Newton. Newton had the potential to make a sudden big play though, either with his arm or legs or a combination of both that Jones did not have. Newton also had veteran confidence that the rookie has to build up. However, the word was that Jones picked up the offense much faster than Newton did.

I think at this point Newton will never be more than a back-up unless somebody gets him into a system that works for him. The Patriots offense he never got comfortable in and never mastered it. It is far different than the offense he played in with Carolina. If Rivera brings him to Washington this is probably his best chance to find success. Dallas might want him for a back-up to Dak, Miami might want him to compete with Tua, the Eagles might want him. My feeling is though if he wants the best chance to be more than a back-up or on his way to washing out of the league, Washington is by far his best option.

Rivera knows Newton and how to utilize him better than anybody else in the NFL. Plus the NFC East is a mess and if Newton upgrades Washington's QB situation and plays well there, they will be in the running to win that division. The Giants O-line looks terrible. The Eagles look full of holes. Dallas is very much a middle of the pack team. So, Newton could end up the key to the NFC East.

Or not.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Well, officially Rivera has passed on Newton. So, if Newton goes to another team, he should be prepared to be a back-up. I'm thinking that makes the Cowboys, Cardinals, Eagles, Broncos and Texans possibilities.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Rivera's pass on Cam Newton was a hard pass. It was literally, I have no interest in him and never have since coming to Washington. So, Rivera did not just walk away, he slammed the door and barred it shut. This is on a team with 38 year old Ryan Fitzpatrick as your starter and basically nothing behind him. He claimed to like all three of his QBs more than Newton. Not a good sign.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Rivera's pass on Cam Newton was a hard pass. It was literally, I have no interest in him and never have since coming to Washington. So, Rivera did not just walk away, he slammed the door and barred it shut. This is on a team with 38 year old Ryan Fitzpatrick as your starter and basically nothing behind him. He claimed to like all three of his QBs more than Newton. Not a good sign.
Obviously, there are some issues between Newton and Rivera that haven't come out yet.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Obviously, there are some issues between Newton and Rivera that haven't come out yet.

I would guess that's true because I can write off how Newton played for the Patriots as struggles with their offense. He would not be the first player to have struggled with it. However he played for them though I see him as having more of an upside than Ryan Fitzpatrick, who can have some good games but tends to mix them in with a lot of total stinkers. Shame that Rivera won't give Newton a chance to compete on a team that really could use some QB help in a division that is probably wide open.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I would guess that's true because I can write off how Newton played for the Patriots as struggles with their offense. He would not be the first player to have struggled with it. However he played for them though I see him as having more of an upside that Ryan Fitzpatrick, who can have some good games but tends to mix them in with a lot of total stinkers. Shame that Rivera won't give Newton a chance to compete on a team that really could use some QB help in a division that is probably wide open.
Last season you can write off for a lot of players especially players new to a team and system. I think you can say that across all four major sports, this pandemic just played havoc on team sports. Hell, it played havoc on all of us!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My predictions for the Raiders is 8-9 and the Giants is 7-10. As you can see I'm not optimistic about either of the teams I root for. I don't trust Gruden with the Raiders as their offensive line and defense remain major concerns. The Giants offensive line is a mess and I'm not sure their defense can repeat last year's performance. Both teams have horrible front offices that have made major mistakes over the last several seasons.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am thinking 9-8 for the Steelers. Their offensive line will be their undoing.

The Ravens haven't played a game yet, but just lost their 3rd running back to a season-ending injury. First were JK Dobbins and Justice Hill. Now they just lost Gus Edwards, too. That's a lot to lose for a team that relies on the ground game more than most teams.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I am thinking 9-8 for the Steelers. Their offensive line will be their undoing.

The Ravens haven't played a game yet, but just lost their 3rd running back to a season-ending injury. First were JK Dobbins and Justice Hill. Now they just lost Gus Edwards, too. That's a lot to lose for a team that relies on the ground game more than most teams.
Watch the Ravens run for over 200 yards against the Raiders on Monday night.:laugh:

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Last season you can write off for a lot of players especially players new to a team and system. I think you can say that across all four major sports, this pandemic just played havoc on team sports. Hell, it played havoc on all of us!
Newton is a head case, and held a 45 minute "press conference" where he spoke on camera with his father, and a lot of time in the 3rd person on how Cam Newton would have been OK with being the backup, but that his aura. Here is the quote:

"The reason why they released me is because indirectly I was going to be a distraction. Just my aura, just my aura — and I told you this off camera. It’s my blessing and my curse. When you bring Cam Newton to your facility, when you bring Cam Newton to your franchise, people are interested, people are intrigued ‘Who is he? Why does he talk like that? Why does he wear his hair like that?’ All these questions.”

The guy is admitting that he is distraction, and no one wants that as a backup on your team. Unless someone gets extremely desperate and has to bring him in as a starter, he won't be playing another down in the league. His time has passed, and he is the last one to admit it....

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Newton is a head case, and held a 45 minute "press conference" where he spoke on camera with his father, and a lot of time in the 3rd person on how Cam Newton would have been OK with being the backup, but that his aura. Here is the quote:

"The reason why they released me is because indirectly I was going to be a distraction. Just my aura, just my aura — and I told you this off camera. It’s my blessing and my curse. When you bring Cam Newton to your facility, when you bring Cam Newton to your franchise, people are interested, people are intrigued ‘Who is he? Why does he talk like that? Why does he wear his hair like that?’ All these questions.”

The guy is admitting that he is distraction, and no one wants that as a backup on your team. Unless someone gets extremely desperate and has to bring him in as a starter, he won't be playing another down in the league. His time has passed, and he is the last one to admit it....

Newton will go to a team that loses their starter to injury. So, don't expect someone to sign him until that happens. He is too large a personality and distraction to sit him behind a questionable starter. If you have him as a back-up and your starter struggles fans and players will scream to put Cam on the field. That is a pain in the ass for a team and coaches. So, until a guy goes down and clears the deck to bring Newton in, teams will go with the guys they have.

Newton does not look at all like 2015 Newton. He looks like he has mechanical issues, accuracy issues, and he is not a system QB, he is a QB you have to play his style of football to have him be comfortable. He would probably have the best chance of success either with Rivera in Washington or maybe with the 49ers or Saints. The Redskins are playing with a strictly pocket QB right now and so their offense will be designed for that. If they bring in Newton they will need to alter the offense a bit.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, first big Sunday, here is a big question...

Which rookie QB do you think will have the most success today?

Trevor Lawrence - Jaguars

Mac Jones - Patriots

Zach Wilson - Jets

Follow-up question...

Which veteran QB on a new team will have the best day?

Matt Stafford - Rams

Andy Dalton - Bears

Sam Darnold - Panthers

Carson Wentz - Colts

Teddy Bridgewater - Broncos

Tyrod Taylor - Texans

Jared Goff - Lions

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks