What's new

2021-2022 NFL Season (2 Viewers)

Which QB will have the most success this season?

• Carson Wentz - Colts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matt Stafford - Rams

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Trevor Lawrence - Jaguars

• Jimmy Garoppolo -49ers

• Ryan Fitzpatrick - Redskins

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Cam Newton - Patriots

• Jalen Hurts - Eagles

• Justin Fields - Bears

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Mac Jones

• Zach Wilson -Jets

• Sam Darnold - Panthers

• Jameis Winston - Saints

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, rumor of the moment is the Seahawks and Browns have been in talks and they are close to a deal that will make Mayfield a Seahawk. Last I heard the Browns were willing to eat $10 million of Baker's $19 million salary in a trade.

Bonus rumor, the Steelers are attempting to trade Mason Rudolph for a 5th round pick...and there is some interest!

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
So, rumor of the moment is the Seahawks and Browns have been in talks and they are close to a deal that will make Mayfield a Seahawk. Last I heard the Browns were willing to eat $10 million of Baker's $19 million salary in a trade.

Bonus rumor, the Steelers are attempting to trade Mason Rudolph for a 5th round pick...and there is some interest!
The Browns should consider themselves lucky to not be stuck with the whole figure against the cap, and maybe getting a day 3 pick for Baker. I guess the Seahawks want to make sure they, and not the Panthers get him.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
If the Steelers can get anything more than a bag of used footballs for Rudolph, it will be a successful trade.

I do think if they get a 5th round pick for him that is great for them. I think Rudolph will float around as a back-up for a while in the NFL but he is just that, a back-up and not a good one. Basically, with the way NFL teams like to do things now Rudolph should back-up a QB who is a similar type of player so there does not need to be a shift in the offense when the back-up comes in. I think someone will want him, maybe not for a 5th but f the Steelers want to move him they can.

Trubisky will start for them and Pickett is going to be the back-up. So, I think there is no need to have Rudolph around.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, the NFL has said they want an "indefinite" suspension of Watson that lasts at least a year. Which, to me, seems an obvious defense against more stuff falling out of Watson's closet while he is suspended.

That means it is not a definite that Watson plays in 2023. The Browns are likely pretty upset by this decision. I know that is likely the understatement of the year.

So, Brissett is the starter for 2022 as of right now unless the Browns try to make another QB move before the season starts.

They are going to pay Watson a lot of money to stay home this season, he won't be allowed near the team, and now it is very unlikely the Browns are a playoff team in what should be a very competitive AFC this year.

Jimmy Garoppolo remains the one available starter out there, unless they convince Philip Rivers to come out of retirement for a season, there were rumors he would consider it but I doubt to play in Cleveland.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
So, the NFL has said they want an "indefinite" suspension of Watson that lasts at least a year. Which, to me, seems an obvious defense against more stuff falling out of Watson's closet while he is suspended.

That means it is not a definite that Watson plays in 2023. The Browns are likely pretty upset by this decision. I know that is likely the understatement of the year.

So, Brissett is the starter for 2022 as of right now unless the Browns try to make another QB move before the season starts.

They are going to pay Watson a lot of money to stay home this season, he won't be allowed near the team, and now it is very unlikely the Browns are a playoff team in what should be a very competitive AFC this year.

Jimmy Garoppolo remains the one available starter out there, unless they convince Philip Rivers to come out of retirement for a season, there were rumors he would consider it but I doubt to play in Cleveland.
Yes I saw that on FOX News that the league is mulling over an indefinite suspension with a one year minimum. No surprise- anything less than a year feels too lenient a punishment. No chance the Browns make the playoffs this year- you’d think the Ravens will bounce back, and the Bengals shouldn’t slide much, not to mention the conference looks like a gauntlet to get through.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Yes I saw that on FOX News that the league is mulling over an indefinite suspension with a one year minimum. No surprise- anything less than a year feels too lenient a punishment. No chance the Browns make the playoffs this year- you’d think the Ravens will bounce back, and the Bengals shouldn’t slide much, not to mention the conference looks like a gauntlet to get through.

Yeah, I think the Browns made a mistake with the Watson deal. They may have been sick of Mayfield but the best move probably would have been to ride him one more season, then move on. They now should just play Brissett, who is a good back-up and solid interim starter. I don't know what they will want to do with Watson but in some ways they are kind of stuck with him. Nobody would trade for him now, nobody would want the contract they signed him to, so the Browns dug a huge hole.

I have no idea how Browns fans feel about Watson, the giant contract, and that they will once again watch a wasted season. We have not got to the 2022 season yet, but yeah, I expect the Bengals to be the team to beat in the division with the Ravens being the team to challenge them.

In this situation the Steelers, depending on how Trubisky plays and/or they get Pickett on the field, could finish third in the division with the Browns falling to last. Brissett is a smart football player, he has decent talent and abilities, so he can likely keep them afloat but the team could also spiral downward because they feel the team has been mishandled.

It's funny because Baker went from looking like a total embarrassment to being the luckiest guy in Cleveland because he is getting out. He must laugh at this every day now. Teams make bad moves but this one was kind of epic and may cost the Browns for years to come.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
What will be interesting to watch is when Watson is cleared by the league to play. Easy to predict what the Browns will have to do- use whatever cap space they have, mortgage the future, and do what the Rams did- go for it immediately. I still think this Watson acquisition will look like a disaster if the team doesn’t get to a Super Bowl with him as the starting QB, so I think they’ll have to do anything and everything possible to build a team with hired guns to win quickly.

Last edited:

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
What will be interesting to watch is when Watson is cleared by the league to play. Easy to predict what the Browns will have to do- use whatever cap space they have, mortgage the future, and do what the Rams did- go for it immediately. I still think this Watson acquisition will look like a disaster if the team doesn’t get to a Super Bowl with him as the starting QB, so I think they’ll have to do anything and everything possible to build a team with hired guns to win.

Only one thing erases the stink of being a losing poorly managed team...winning. If or when Watson plays the pressure will be piled on to win games to try to make people forget the mess of the past. If they stumble with Watson leading the team, well, that will go really poorly for them.

The Browns seem to think they have an excellent roster right now and so adding Watson, they believe makes them a playoff/Super Bowl contender. There is talent on the roster but now that talent will work without a franchise level QB...indefinitely. If Watson gets on the field it won't we with this roster. There will likely be changes made as each new season comes. So, Watson would, like all great QBs, need to be the difference maker that elevates the play of those around him. Like a Mahomes, Brady, Rodgers do.

Watson will need to knock off some rust but he is, or at least was, a franchise QB when he played for the Texans. He is losing premium years from his career at this point and we will see how he comes back from all this. It is the NFL so I expect, barring more horrible behavior from him, he will get back on the field at some point. He has/had too much talent not to get another chance.

He is also an easy player to boo and not to root for which if he or the team he is on struggles will probably happen fast.

Last edited:

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
I think when they signed this contract - they only have a 1 million base salary for this year - thinking that if he is suspended without pay - he doesn't loose too much money. Having the indefinite one is actually kind of funny - as in year two he will be loosing 46 mil...

Tom Brady did something similar with the deflate gate - taking the vet min salary for that part of the year that he may have been suspended so he could keep more of his $$$$

1656521675979.png

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I think when they signed this contract - they only have a 1 million base salary for this year - thinking that if he is suspended without pay - he doesn't loose too much money. Having the indefinite one is actually kind of funny - as in year two he will be loosing 46 mil...

Tom Brady did something similar with the deflate gate - taking the vet min salary for that part of the year that he may have been suspended so he could keep more of his $$$$

View attachment 143151

That contract is insane but yes, it is designed so that this season when he was expected to have a suspension of some kind, he gets to keep his cash.

I am guessing what the "indefinite" means is he has to behave while suspended and not have anymore come out that we don't yet know about. It's a pretty bad look to put a serial sex offender on the field with the risk he may have done much more than we know and/or is continuing to do things he should not be doing.

I would assume if he gets through the year without further incident he will be allowed to play. The league does believe in second chances but not constant embarrassment.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Egad. Didn’t he already play temporarily for someone and not do well? He’s a HOF with big bucks in the bank, jeez, why come back when the body is no longer willing? He’s not going to get the Ring in Cleveland. He’s not going to get it anywhere, there’s too much Voldemort curse left on him.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Egad. Didn’t he already play temporarily for someone and not do well? He’s a HOF with big bucks in the bank, jeez, why come back when the body is no longer willing? He’s not going to get the Ring in Cleveland. He’s not going to get it anywhere, there’s too much Voldemort curse left on him.
He’s not a hall of famer, in my opinion, but he’ll likely get in. It will be fascinating to see when he and Eli are eligible. Who gets in first?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I believe that Eli Manning and Phillip Rivers will both be eventually inducted into the HOF. I think Eli (assuming Rivers stays retired) is eligible for inclusion in 2025 and Rivers will be eligible in 2026. So in terms of who gets in first, Eli has a one year advantage.

Adjusting for a comparison where the question is based on year of eligibility for each player (i.e. does either player get inducted during their respective first year(s) of eligibility) I believe that Eli is more likely on the basis of his Super Bowl rings and his two Super Bowl MVP awards (and perhaps the family name.) I am less convinced that Rivers is a first year inductee.

- Walter.

sleroi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
As big of a Chargers fan as I am, and as much as I loved Rivers in his prime, he's not a first year HOFer.
Lynn was such a bad coach that Rivers was forced to carry the team even though his skills had diminished a bit. And he had no protection on top of that.

And his time in Indy wasn't anything great either.

He'll probably get in eventually due to stats. I think if he had retired a couple of seasons earlier he would have been held in higher regard.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
A quick word about the Bengals- an article at nfl.com says they are going into this season with 4 new starters on the offensive line (the left tackle is the only last year starter that’s returning). As much as I have given the owner shit in recent memory, it seems that Brown and his helpers correctly recognized the main issue with the team, and have taken measures to address it.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

He just played a season for the Colts but he did not play last year even though he said he was willing to if a team needed him and they were a contender. I don't know if we can consider the Browns a contender as they really have not been. They have some talent on the roster and they think they can contend but I kind of think Rivers might not think so. He is having fun coaching high school football but claims he gets the itch to play as the season approaches.

i only bring it up because there were rumors that if Watson got a full year the Browns would look at other options they could bring in at QB. Really, there is not much that would be better than Brissett. Garoppolo, who is due $24 million this season and it makes no sense to take that on unless you dumped either Watson somehow or all of Mayfield's salary which they won't be able to do.

So, then there just would be a guy like Rivers that you sign to a one year deal if he was willing. Outside of that I see no option for them to get a QB that is considered a starter. The QBs left available to them would all likely be worse than Brissett so, Brissett becomes the best option.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Rivers is not going to play 8+ home games in an outdoor stadium in Cleveland, along with other outdoor games at northern division rivals. He's too much of a pussy to put up with real weather.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Rivers is not going to play 8+ home games in an outdoor stadium in Cleveland, along with other outdoor games at northern division rivals. He's too much of a pussy to put up with real weather.

I think you are probably correct that he would not be interested. I think his idea was a starter on a contending team goes down during the season and he steps in to play out the year and go to the playoffs. I don't think the Browns fit what would be Rivers idea of what would be a good opportunity for him.

I threw his name out there just as really the only guy that is sitting around that they could maybe pursue outside of Jimmy G., who really is also not ideal. I basically think the Browns have screwed themselves, will have to play Brissett, and Watson is now just a giant question mark as to when or even if he gets on the field for them.

If Watson doesn't have any more sex offender issues crop up he will probably play in 2023.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cescobianchi
Recent bookmarks