What's new

2020 OLED TVs - LG CX & Sony A8H, how do they compare (1 Viewer)

glllelkl

Auditioning
Real Name
Gary Lerner
Thanks for your help. I currently have the last edition of the Pioneer Elite 50" and 60" plasmas, and they do give a wonderful picture. When I buy, my intent is to keep the items for a long time. Do you think then it would be worth it to wait for the upgrade to the A9G comes out or even an A9H?

thanks again

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Hard to say as we don't have any information on next years models. We do see improvements every year, some years more than others, but we're at least 13 months away from seeing the 2021 Sony Master Series OLED TVs.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Thanks for your help. I currently have the last edition of the Pioneer Elite 50" and 60" plasmas, and they do give a wonderful picture. When I buy, my intent is to keep the items for a long time. Do you think then it would be worth it to wait for the upgrade to the A9G comes out or even an A9H?

thanks again
Gary,

Just my opinion here as a reviewer and enthusiast who is very familar with your TV and OLED models as I've owned both. The A8H would be an absolutely massive upgrade from your Kuro Plasma. As good as Kuros were, they don't come close to an OLED picture. None of the new models this year are groundbreaking improvements over last year's, and I expect the same to be true next year - we're down to software features more than anything now. These displays already calibrate to near perfection. The price on the A8H via Robert will be very fair, and you'll have a display that will last you many many years. I'd pull the trigger on it now instead of waiting, if I were in your shoes.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
All 100% true ^ I just did not want to come off as a salesman. We've come to the point that all we can expect are incremental upgrades each year. Why not enjoy the start-of-the-art these new premium 4K OLED TVs deliver now as we can just keep waiting for the next best thing and miss out on enjoying the best in home entrainment available today.

TheFOMO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Quinn
rRobert,
Thanks so much for your advice. I live in Los Angeles, so do you ship to LA? Also what are the prices for both sets at 65"?
Were those some pictures of Riverdale and the Henry Hudson highway when signing in?
I can personally vouch for Robert's excellent service and delivery to CA residents! I just received my Samsung Q900TS 65" 8K TV fully calibrated - I strongly suggest you consider opting for Value Electronic's break-in and calibration service as this will ensure that your TV has no defects and uniformity issues plus you don't have to worry about "in home" calibration appointments which will be obviously challenging during this pandemic.

glllelkl

Auditioning
Real Name
Gary Lerner
Thanks all for your input and advice. It's nice to hear such accolades for Robert and Value Electronics. We're in the middle of a remodel and may not be able to purchase and install for 4-6 months. Feature for feature how does the comparison look between the A9G and the A8H? Don't mind spending the extra $ if there is a step up in features and performance, although spending less is nice too.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Within 4-6 months we'll know more about the A9G's potential upgrade that will hopefully include the A8H's selectable Clearness, aka BFI and new algorithms to drive the low luminance areas of the image to deliver the best possible details and greatly improve screen uniformity.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Here's my friend Caleb Dennison of Digital Trends video of the unboxing, settings and his first opinions.

Very accurate and informative review that confirms everything you heard it first on HTF.

TheFOMO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Quinn
Here's my friend Caleb Dennison of Digital Trends video of the unboxing, settings and his first opinions.

Very accurate and informative review that confirms everything you heard it first on HTF.

Love Caleb! He keeps it real and has become more and more discriminating of TV performance, calling it as he sees it - has become one of my favorite reviewers.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Love your YourTube chanel reviews too! You say it how it is even when you hoped your findings would turn out differently. I like your style and honestly.

TheFOMO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Quinn
I saw the video and noticed he has the tv laying on the floor to put the stand on. Is that safe and ok for the tv to have the screen facing the floor?
The directions on the manual often requires you to have the TV face down in order to properly install the stands. As long as you have proper cushioning on a stable flat surface below the screen and you leave the screen protection layer on, it should be OK. The last 3 TVs I've unboxed/reviewed have all directed me to install the stand with the TV face down.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
The directions on the manual often requires you to have the TV face down in order to properly install the stands. As long as you have proper cushioning on a stable flat surface below the screen and you leave the screen protection layer on, it should be OK. The last 3 TVs I've unboxed/reviewed have all directed me to install the stand with the TV face down.
Thanks for the info....:thumbs-up-smiley:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Yes, this was in the instructions for the 65CX when we installed my buddy's.

TheFOMO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Quinn
Robert, I just got the firmware update on my Sony A9G yesterday - would this be "the" update regarding luminance and BFI you were talking about in previous posts?

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
I have not seen the update yet as Sony roles them out slowly, but I don't think it would be out this fast. I'll check my a9G when it get the update and get back here.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I bought a Sony A8H last week and I'm seeing a lot of pulsing and noise in some dark, but not pitch black, scenes. It's not a result of compression, as it's not noticeable on my plasma. The 4K disc of The Fog is virtually unwatchable, and no matter what settings I try, I can't seem to get rid of it, short of turning the black level so low that it's impossible to see what's happening.

I'm wondering if I should return it and exchange it for an LG CX. Is the LG better in this regard? Or is this just a flaw inherent to OLED technology?

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Sony's A8H has very good near black performance.

The best out of the box picture mode for Sony's A8H is the "Custom" mode. I suggest resetting the TV to the factory default and just select the Custom picture mode and the 4K disc The Fog to see if that helps the near black.

Also check for firmware updates and install any that are available and after the new firmware is installed unplug the TV for an hour or longer so the capacitors fully discharge and after power the TV back on it will force the new firmware to load into the processor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks