What's new

2020 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
R.I.P. Whitey Ford one of the greatest Yankees as another sports hero from my youth leaves us.:(
Someone at another site posted that Ford was a truly nice guy. By my count, he appeared in 11 World Series (it would have been 13, except he missed the 1951 and 1952 seasons due to military service).

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sorry to have to do this on the day Ford dies (not another one this year), but man this is what a Win or Go Home game should be
and not a more appropriate way to end with the perfect player to hitting a HR off the pitcher who deserves to lose the most. I guess it could have be a bit better if it was a 2 run HR with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th with the Yankees up 2-1.

Most interesting (or bizarre) stat of the night.

Percent Runs scored on HR vs non-HR this postseason -- back of envelope recalculation so may not be exact
One of these is not like the others.

WC + Div Series
TB 23/30 77%
Hous 20/40 50%
ATL 12/24 50%
LA 2/30 7%

NYY 30/46 65%
OAK 22/34 65%
FLA 7/12 58%
SD 12/28 43%

WC Losers
MILW 2/2 100%
Cubs 1/1 100%
TOR 2/3 67%
CWS 7/11 64%
STL - 5/17 29%
Clev 1/12 8%
MIn 0/2 0%
Cinc 0/0 NA

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You’re not sorry because you’re a Yankees hater so continue to rub salt into Yankees fans wounds.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
100% I don't hate the Yankees. I love to root against the Yankees and certainly I;m not sad when they lose, but I think they are a fantastic organization and some of my favorite players were Yankees. I supremely respect them. It was a well played great Game 5 and Chapman getting beat after what he did earlier in the year to Brosseau was a perfect revenge-- and I do think that near decapitation was intentional.

I truly hate that players like Cole, Tanaka, Voit, and Lemahieu won't be playing next week. My Dad love Dimaggio, Berra, and Whitey Ford and would tell stories of seeing them play when he was stationed in NYC with the Navy in the 50's though I think he was more of a Dodgers fan then. Like with Seaver, Brock and Gibson, I'm very sad to hear of Ford's death and wish it had happened on any other day besides an elimination Game. I actually felt a twinge of guilt not wanting them to win tonight, but if the Yankees had won 2-1 in the 10th or 11th on an Urshela HR I don't think I'd be unhappy.

I have a problem with some Yankee fans (think the bar guy in For Love of the Game), but I'd have a problem with them regardless of what team they were fans of. I've dressed down some Atlanta fans at games in the past for absurd and unnecessary abuse of away fans who were just at the game having fun.

I had a blast at Yankee stadium a few years ago and Yankee fans were fine to my family even when I couldn't talk one of my kids out of wearing his Braves cap. I had a great time talking with a few of the fans during the game when they found out I was from South (Shea was a bit of a different story, but that;s a different kind of rivalry). Some of my best friends in College were Yankees fan so we had a blast watching games talking trash during the game -- of course that was in one of the LONG stretches where the Braves reeked so there was no direct competition so I had to be the Non-Yankee fan regardless to make watching a lot more fun. As a general rule I like most Yankee fans b/c they know their baseball history and aren't just at the game for a Networking session -- they love good baseball.

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Seriously think the Dodgers are the best team in baseball and have been one of my favorite teams for years due to my Dad. I think they're a significantly better team than the Braves, but it's Baseball and any given week.. The Braves starting pitchers are either going to come down to earth with a major crash or one of these days turn into the best fantasy story in history -- a starting pitching staff with 20 career wins really has no business doing what they've done.

I think San Diego were 2nd best team until their top 2 pitchers were injured - just a brutal turn of events. As a baseball fan I was really sad that they weren't going to be at full strength for a SD/LA matchup.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Seriously, I hate the remaining four teams in the playoffs so my baseball season ended on Friday. I won't be watching any baseball games until next year which is similar to the NBA playoffs.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I have a handful of teams that I have a serious sports hate for.
yankees are one of them.
I don’t think I can have a sports hate for The fans though.
We went there a couple years ago to see my Phils play the Yankees

We won that game. The group we we in was obviously mostly Yankee fans but they were funny and friendly.
Had a great time.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Only team I care for a little bit is the Rays. That’s the team we love closest to so I guess they’re our other home team now.

Plus it more fun to me if my team doesn’t win for a team that never or rarely has won the title.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I watched all Baseball playoffs I could pretty much since 1968. I can't imagine not watching baseball games regardless of the teams.
Minor League, Major League, College baseball -- I've chased games all over the country and being a fan or even having a clue about which player is which never made that much of a difference. Since my team has been eliminated by July 4 most of my life, I find I actually enjoy watching and 100x less stressful watching not-my-team World Series and playoffs where you can just marvel in the game itself.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
When I saw the headline that the Rays beat the Yanks, I thought the reporter was joking, and he needed a stern reprimand. :P

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Why. You have seen the Rays this year right?
They’re a really good team.
No- I haven’t seen any baseball. I was a fan who would be comfortable in Missouri-
show me. My take is a team that constantly loses to another team has to prove to me that they can get over the hump.

Last edited:

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
When Austin Meadows whacked that pitch I was expecting a Cody Bellinger moment when Judge went back to catch it, so what happened next, when he jumped and hit his head on the rubber overhang made me laugh. Sorry, but it was the complete opposite of what I was expecting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks