2020 MLB Season

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Rough year for St Louis -- Gibson and Brock both. I was just barely getting into baseball in 1968 so I remember a little of the WS that year and how awed my Dad was at Gibson's pitching.

I always like Bob Costas's interviews with him though. Even better was Costas talking about the interviews later -- the Pete LaCock - Gibson story just keeps getting funnier every time I hear it.
It's been a rough year for me. I was as big of a Cardinals fan as I was a Yankee fan back in the day. I even rooted against the Yankees during the 1964 WS. That 1968 WS broke my heart as I can still remember Curt Flood losing that ball in the sun. When Gibson and Brock retired I was done as a Cardinals fan. Anyhow, two of my favorite players of all-time died in the last couple of months as my own mortality is coming into view.

Reactions: Mike Frezon

David Norman

Premium
I wasn't ever a Cards fan, but I do remember listening to Jack Buck on the Cards Radio station at night -- classic earphone, transistor radio in bed after I was supposed to be asleep. Most nights I could pick up St Louis KMOX radio from 500-600 miles away which I thought was pretty cool.

Reactions: Osato and Jeffrey D

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
If I have read the schedule correctly, all 3 game of the SD/STL playoff was played in San Diego. Is this a Covid thing?

Go Pads!

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I wasn't ever a Cards fan, but I do remember listening to Jack Buck on the Cards Radio station at night -- classic earphone, transistor radio in bed after I was supposed to be asleep. Most nights I could pick up St Louis KMOX radio from 500-600 miles away which I thought was pretty cool.
I grew up listening to/watching Harry Kalas and Richie Ashburn doing Phillies games in the 70s. The broadcasters of the past are a tough act to follow.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
All first round games were played in the park of the team with the higher seed.

David Norman

Premium
If I have read the schedule correctly, all 3 game of the SD/STL playoff was played in San Diego. Is this a Covid thing?

Go Pads!
Indirectly related to COVID and lessening travel in general as well as accommodating no off days to shorten the time frame so the WS would be less likely to end up at Thanksgiving. I think it was a compromise to facilitate a full extra round of playoffs and with the Best of 3 to give the higher seed a bigger advantage.

I'm actually a bit surprised they didn't make all the playoff games at neutral site and consider making the 1st/2nd rounds a Best of 5. They could have used some combination of 7 Domed/Retractible Stadiums and 3 SoCal parks all as Neutral Sites for the 1st round, removed most of the Home Field issues, and decreased the vagaries of the best of 3 series for the Division Winner (and added possibly a bunch of TV Revenue games)

In the past when they've done best of 3 that tried play G1 at the lower seed and G2/3 at the higher ranked team (which didn't go over well as the better team was disadvantaged right off the bat). I can't remember if they did it or just discussed alternating games to make sure every playoff team had at least one home game, Playing G1/2 at the higher seed and G3 Deciding game at lower seed (bad idea on 2 fronts). I remember 7 games series in some sports who did a 2-2-1-1-1 format but I don't think baseball ever tried that

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
It's been a rough year for me. I was as big of a Cardinals fan as I was a Yankee fan back in the day. I even rooted against the Yankees during the 1964 WS. That 1968 WS broke my heart as I can still remember Curt Flood losing that ball in the sun. When Gibson and Brock retired I was done as a Cardinals fan. Anyhow, two of my favorite players of all-time died in the last couple of months as my own mortality is coming into view.
'67 was the first year baseball grabbed my attention. I was an eight year old kid. So all my heroes are starting to go, too. I vividly remember listening to the '68 series on the radio. Gibson was soooo good. And, a badass, too. :D

MartinP.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Martin
All first round games were played in the park of the team with the higher seed.
And now Los Angeles and San Diego travel to Texas while American League teams play in their ballparks. Such is the strange season.

MLB wanted the play-off stadiums close tgether--the Texas stadiums are 8.4 miles apart. So I don't know why they didn't use Angel (Anaheim) Stadium (about 30 miles from L.A.) instead of San Diego. But then again, the Giants and A's are even closer by half that.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
while American League teams play in their ballparks.
What do yo mean with that comment?

Astros/A’s are playing in Dodger stadium.
Yankees /Rays in Petco.
Dodgers /Padres in Arlington
Marlons/Braves in Houston

MartinP.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Martin
^^^

Yes, that's what I meant.

Houston is only 8.4 miles from Arlington?
I certainly typed something wrong in the search engine yesterday, I should have realized it right away. It's 257.5 miles distance.

As Emily Litella would say: "Oh. Well. That's very different. Never mind."

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
Apparently Fox is airing games in 4K with hdr

This Padres dodgers game looks amazing.
I believe it’s only on the fox sports app.

David Norman

Premium
Found it quite unusual to see all 4 games were split b/w FoxSport1 and TBS yesterday, but today the Braves/Marlins are only on MLBNetwork and FSP1 only has a single game, TBS two. Tomorrow, even worse for a larger number of fans is Dodgers/Padres will be on MLBNetwork for the last game.

So far 6 runs scored today -- 5 solo HRs in the Braves through 7 and Astros game through 2 [Update - end of 1st game and halfway through 2nd -- 8 runs, 7 Solo HR]

I have found it interesting to see the balls flying out in Houston and LA, balls seeming to die in SD unlike much of the summer and Arlington seems to be a warning track park. Actually SD seems to be the most neutral of the 4 parks

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Holy Moly -- what a game to end the night. Bellinger is just worth his weight in gold defensively.
Kelly and Jansen turning into a Kimbrel special-hold your breath-who knows what will happen

Dodgers started to look like Smaug the Dragon -- one missing scale.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Apparently Fox is airing games in 4K with hdr

This Padres dodgers game looks amazing.
I believe it’s only on the fox sports app.
Huh... I didn't notice via SlingTV -- it looked about the same as the other games, and the broadcast certainly didn't seem to tout 4K, let alone HDR. Guess SlingTV didn't actually have a 4K HDR feed?

_Man_

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
It wouldn’t have been on the regular feed.
Dtv has a special channel and fox offers a 4K feed on their app.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maonikatbtasu