2020 MLB Season

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
It would be interesting to see an all Chicago World Series where the games are all played in Texas.

last all Chicago Series was 1906.
What? You don't wanna see an All-Florida WS? Might be the only chance in our lifetimes... :lol:

_Man_

Reactions: Osato

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Pujols passing Mays on the all-time HR list recently was interesting. About the only meaningful (positive) thing to happen in basebal in 2020.
Will Pujols join Mariano Rivera as the only unanimous vote into the Hall Of Fame? Probably not, but a case can be made that Albert deserves that honor.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Well, my Cubs came a step closer to being the Central Division seed in the first set of playoffs (Magic Number 1).

As things stand right now, they would be hosting Miami (Florida) at Wrigley. Shades of 2003.

Of course, the order of seeds 5-8 is very much in flux

David Norman

Premium
Appears the Braves are now on target to be the biggest WC round upset and break the tie with the Cubs for long consecutive playoff series losing streak (10 currently)

It appears Cincinnati is the likely opponent so it will be interesting to see what happens since I don't think the Reds have won a postseason series in 24 or 25 yrs and Braves now at 19 (though far more losses). It will be pretty interesting to watch the 2nd Best SP vs the worst SP in the NL pitted against each other esp now the Fried appears to have succumbed an expect case of Brave-itis having pitched 5 inning in the last 3+ weeks -- leaving 2 starts early due to injury and skipping at least one more start even while being on an every 6-7 day schedule. Braves #2 and 3 starters now with 5 career wins between them in 18 starts and a combined ERA of 6 and no #4/5 starter at all.

Last edited:

MartinP.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Martin
^^^
And my favorite Dodger on the screen, CAT, Chris Taylor.

I'm assuming that fans of all 16 teams in this Wild Card round are just hoping they get through the first 2 out of 3 round. I don't like this new round.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Well, my Cubs came a step closer to being the Central Division seed in the first set of playoffs (Magic Number 1).

As things stand right now, they would be hosting Miami (Florida) at Wrigley. Shades of 2003.

Of course, the order of seeds 5-8 is very much in flux
At least the Cubs wouldn't have to worry about a Steve Bartman like incident this time! :lol:

CHEERS! :)

Reactions: Osato and MartinP.

David Norman

Premium
What an unexpected end to the day in Playoffs. Bieber's stuff didn't look that bad, but the Yankees were just all over anything straight. Almost makes me wonder if he wasn't tipping his curveball somehow

Twins (it's always something) and A's curse continue. White Sox woke up from their recent funk.

I guess we'll see if the Braves can top the Twins for futility tomorrow. If they both dump this round again, I'll propose they have their own
playoff to break the tie -- is it worse to lose 17 Postseason games in a row or 10+ Postseason Series in a row . I guess this assumes that losing a postseason series is worse than just not making the Postseason at all (Mariners)

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
At least the Cubs wouldn't have to worry about a Steve Bartman like incident this time! :lol:

CHEERS! :)
I know I’m beating a dead horse here, but Cubs SS Alex Gonzalez is SO much more a culprit in that collapse, and the team lacked character (if that team saw Chapman give up the tying HR to Rajai Davis in game 7 of the 2016 World Series, the game would still be going on, with the Indians leading
2,000,000 to 6). Bartman has zero to do with that choke.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I know I’m beating a dead horse here, but Cubs SS Alex Gonzalez is SO much more a culprit in that collapse, and the team lacked character (if that team saw Chapman give up the tying HR to Rajai Davis in game 7 of the 2016 World Series, the game would still be going on, with the Indians leading
2,000,000 to 6). Bartman has zero to do with that choke.
I think most serious baseball fans including Cubs fans know that Bartman wasn't the real culprit for that Cubs playoff loss.

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I think most serious baseball fans including Cubs fans know that Bartman wasn't the real culprit for that Cubs playoff loss.
I really Hope most Cubs fans don’t buy into that Bartman stuff- if they think a fan is more responsible than a SS who couldn’t make a pee-wee league catch, then they are
tragically clueless.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I really Hope most Cubs fans don’t buy into that Bartman stuff- if they think a fan is more responsible than a SS who couldn’t make a pee-wee league catch, then they are
tragically clueless.
Please understand I actually do agree with you all, regarding that. My comment was very much tongue firmly planted in cheek. CHEERS! :)

Reactions: Jeffrey D

David Norman

Premium
The Twins really are cursed. Just brutal

Braves inept playoff offense shows up right on time only to be outdone by the Reds doing basically the impossible. I really have no idea how they didn't score 5 or 6 runs, much less zero. Fried did look healthy and stuff was amazing for as little as he's pitched in the last 4 weeks, but the Reds let him off the hook several times.

As I was watching the game (I missed the 1st inning) I started noticing an odd thing happening esp for current offensive baseball trends -- the Braves did not have a single Flyout in 12 innings of play -- apparently 3 flyouts in the 1st before I got a chance to sit down with the game, then none of the next 34 outs -- 21K, 9 ground outs, and 4 infield popups. Until the 12th inning, other than the Acuna double there wasn't even a hard hit groundball. The 2 other singles were an infield hit that was hit too softly and an off the end of the bat bleeder that limped into the OF. Even in the 12th, a weak single, a seeing eye single that barely got past the SS, and the Freeman single was only the second solidly hit ball of the day. If I'm a Reds fan, I think I'd be looking for any lucky charms or lucky sweatshirts I could find.

Cardinals and Astros appear to be doing their normal Postseason warrior routine.

I feel a bit sorry for the Padres -- 7-10 days ago I had them the odds on favorite for the WS, but to lose your #1 and #2 starting pitchers in the last few games of the year is just hard to believe they can overcome.

At least a couple nice Game 3 sudden death games coming up so another fun day tomorrow. I had a blast when there was 5 or 6 games going on simultaneously this afternoon. I was wondering how many games might finish before the Braves game ended, but they did beat the 3rd game of the day by a few minutes.

Cleveland at least putting up a fight early though I question letting them start the game when they can't even get through the 1st inning. Interesting to hear of a Gale Warning during a game
EDIT: Well that didn't last long. 2 of Cleveland's vaunted starting staff no being blasted. Now the offense has to regain all that ground

Last edited:

Museum Pieces

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Skylar
Can someone explain to me why the Dodgers are said to be playing the winner of St. Louis/San Diego, seeds 4 and 5, instead of seed 6, if the Marlins win? Makes no sense. Low seeds play the highest surviving seed, right?

David Norman

Premium
Can someone explain to me why the Dodgers are said to be playing the winner of St. Louis/San Diego, seeds 4 and 5, instead of seed 6, if the Marlins win? Makes no sense. Low seeds play the highest surviving seed, right?
No, The teams are assigned a bracket like in Basketball and teams aren't being re-seeded between rounds. Not sure exactly why it was set up like this, but the Dodgers-Brewers winner was going to play the Padres-Cards winner no matter what.

The 1-8 winner will play the 4-5 winner in Arlington (NL teams ) or San Diego (AL teams ), the 3-6 winner plays the 2-7 Houston (NL) or LA (AL). Possibly to ease transportation since the team know ahead of time where they're heading next if they win. It seems it would be easy to rearrange travel plans after the end of a series, but it's the best I can come up with

It is somewhat odd that the each East and West 1st/2nd place team are playing each other in the 4 DIV Series meaning that the LCS series are going to come from 4 different divisions since all 7 Central Div teams and all 4 Wild Cards lost

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: Museum Pieces

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
My favorite baseball player of all-time has died from cancer. Bob Gibson was my boyhood sports idol. May he R.I.P

David Norman

Premium
My favorite baseball player of all-time has died from cancer. Bob Gibson was my boyhood sports idol. May he R.I.P
Rough year for St Louis -- Gibson and Brock both. I was just barely getting into baseball in 1968 so I remember a little of the WS that year and how awed my Dad was at Gibson's pitching.

I always like Bob Costas's interviews with him though. Even better was Costas talking about the interviews later -- the Pete LaCock - Gibson story just keeps getting funnier every time I hear it.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bhakarubneha