2020 MLB Season

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Of all the rule changes this is the one I dislike the most because it makes the 162 game schedule less significant. Why should a team/owner go all out to win a division when it's possible you can win it all by just being one of eight teams in your league to make the playoffs.

IMO, Manfred has been a disaster as baseball commissioner and is even worse than Bud Selig.

Yes more teams in the postseason is one of several reasons why I’m just not interested.
Both baseball and football are ignoring the traditions of the game with the changes being made (there won’t be the kickoff in the NFL for much longer, which will significantly change the game). Baseball was fine the way it was- go back to unlimited pitching changes.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Of all the rule changes this is the one I dislike the most because it makes the 162 game schedule less significant. Why should a team/owner go all out to win a division when it's possible you can win it all by just being one of eight teams in your league to make the playoffs.

IMO, Manfred has been a disaster as baseball commissioner and is even worse than Bud Selig.
That is not an opinion unique to you, Robert.

I knew immediately that he was using the Covid-shortened season as an excuse to implement all these horrible rules changes so that most of them would be easier to carry-over once next year's 162-game season gets underway.

You know, it's bad enough that we've got this shortened season to deal with because of the virus crisis.

OK. So we have to have an "asterisk" season. But why do we have to compound things by changing the rules of the game to play whatever games can be played??? Why do these things?

File it under "never let a crisis go to waste." These are things that the commissioner's office have wanted to do for some time...as wrong-headed and ineffective as they will be. Here's their chance. And since they've been put into play...well we might just as well advocate for them to stay in lay assuming that the 2021 season proceeds as normal.

I am really not sure I can continue to enjoy the game with these changes to the rules of play. It's going to be an interesting thing for me to see.
So many of this season's rules changes are a travesty to the game of baseball. Just horrible. Las Vegas should start a line on how many of them will still be in place next year.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Let me be clear, I don't have a problem with many of the rule changes like some of you have with them. I don't like this playoff format as is when there is a 162 game schedule because it dilutes the importance of the regular season and finishing with the best record as possible.

I'm in favor of the Universal Designated Hitter
Universal designated hitter
While the American League adopted the DH rule in 1973, pitchers have continued to hit in games played at National League ballparks. That won't be the case in 2020, as both leagues will use the DH to avoid overtaxing pitchers by having them hit.
I'm only in favor of the runner on second for extra innings after 11-12 innings
Runner on second to begin extra innings
During the regular season, every half-inning after the ninth will begin with a runner on second base. If that runner scores, the pitcher won't be charged with an earned run.

The runner placed on second base at the start of each half-inning will be the player in the batting order immediately preceding that half-inning’s leadoff hitter, or a pinch-runner. However, if the player in the batting order immediately preceding that half-inning’s leadoff hitter is the pitcher, the runner placed on second base may be the player preceding the pitcher in the batting order. This rule will not be in place for the postseason.

Over the past five years, 8.26% of all regular-season games have gone to extra innings. There were 208 extra-innings games in the 2019 regular season, counting for 8.56% of all games.
I like this rule change
Suspended games
If weather forces a game to be cut short before it is official, it will be continued at a later date rather than started from scratch.
I don't have a great objection to this rule
Three Batter Minimum
The three-batter minimum, a rule change that was instituted this past offseason, will remain in place. It requires pitchers to face at least three batters or pitch to the end of a half-inning, with exceptions for injuries and illnesses.
I'm kind of on the fence with this one, I can go either for or against.
Shorten length of Doubleheaders to 7 innings each.
Like in the minor leagues both games of a Doubleheader are seven innings each.

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Universal DH- not a fan, but it’s inevitable

Three batter minimum- hate it

Suspended games- fine

Extra innings rule- not a bad idea to do this after the 11th inning

Double headers- leave them at regulation 9 innings, and do the base runners starting in the 10th inning.

Reactions: Suzanne.S

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Why not just declare the game a "draw" (tie) after 12 innings? What's so bad about a game ending in a tie?
It goes against the tradition of the game, and most other sports have adopted extra play that decides a winner, which means to me that the people who run the sports leagues have determined that ties are an unsatisfactory ending for a big % of the fans. My take.

Reactions: Suzanne.S

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It goes against the tradition of the game,
People need to get over this "tradition of the game" thing. Either you evolve and change with the times, or you become extinct. We're already at the point where no major networks want to bother with baseball aside from the World Series (or the occasional FOX Saturday Night "dead zone" broadcast) as the ratings are dismal.

I'm for anything that will speed up pace of play. I want a pitch clock (a short one). I'd also do away with batters calling timeout. There's no need for it.

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The pitch clock will have to be forced upon the players, which isn’t going to happen.

A few years ago, there was a rule that the batters had to stay in the batter’s box, and the umpires were enforcing it- for 1 year. That came to an end. I guess the players were bitching about it, so it’s no longer enforced.

Traditions- I like them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
People need to get over this "tradition of the game" thing. Either you evolve and change with the times, or you become extinct. We're already at the point where no major networks want to bother with baseball aside from the World Series (or the occasional FOX Saturday Night "dead zone" broadcast) as the ratings are dismal.

I'm for anything that will speed up pace of play. I want a pitch clock (a short one). I'd also do away with batters calling timeout. There's no need for it.
MLB has really become a regional sport in which the local TV ratings are doing much better than the national broadcasts. As a Yankees fan, I hate watching them on Fox or ESPN. My overwhelming preference is on the YES Network and I'm pretty sure it's like that for most baseball fans in regard to their local broadcasts.

David Norman

Premium
Universal DH -- i can live with it though I'd prefer to go back to no DH (not going to happen)

Suspended game -- I thought that had been the rule for a few years already. Perfectly good and logical rule

Doubleheader and Extra Innings -- Play real Major League baseball rules, not High School. No ghost runners, no half games on purpose
Heck I'd mandate 10 scheduled DH per year and shorten the season

3 Batter minimum -- i wish they'd done this years ago. THe whole 6 pitchers for 6 batters is just maddening. OR as an alternative, limit the roster to max 10 pitchers. With DH's there should far less need for 14 man pitching staffs.

I'd love a few other variations
Expanded rosters (max 1 extra pitcher) either just for Doubleheaders, an emergency daily roster for 3rd Catcher in case of injury (like the emergency QB in NFL) or something like 28 man roster with a 3 man inactive taxi squad who could activate/deactivate each game infinite time. This would allow easier use for 2-3 day injuries, bereavement leave, Paternity Leave, etc.

Pitch Clock, pitchers stay on the rubber, Batters stay in the batters box -- could live with both. These Nomar/Hargrove style AB are just irritating so even a batters clock would be fine.

No wild cards, but go to 4 divisions per league or even go back to 4 Divisions and only Winners go to the Playoffs, No 1 game or 3 game playoff. If they absolutely must expand the playoff, drop the regular season back to 144 or 154 games so the World Series will be over by Oct 20 so no 30 degree, snowy playoff games

Simplify the Balk rule to make it more common sense.

Any man off the bench or bullpen gets an automatic 7 game suspension for 1st offense. 3rd man in on a fight -- double that. If the pitcher and batter want to settle a beef, it's up to them.

Reactions: Malcolm R

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
I’ve been saying for years there should be auto ejection if you come onto the field for a fight.
just like hockey.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Universal DH -- i can live with it though I'd prefer to go back to no DH (not going to happen)

Suspended game -- I thought that had been the rule for a few years already. Perfectly good and logical rule

Doubleheader and Extra Innings -- Play real Major League baseball rules, not High School. No ghost runners, no half games on purpose
Heck I'd mandate 10 scheduled DH per year and shorten the season

3 Batter minimum -- i wish they'd done this years ago. THe whole 6 pitchers for 6 batters is just maddening. OR as an alternative, limit the roster to max 10 pitchers. With DH's there should far less need for 14 man pitching staffs.

I'd love a few other variations
Expanded rosters (max 1 extra pitcher) either just for Doubleheaders, an emergency daily roster for 3rd Catcher in case of injury (like the emergency QB in NFL) or something like 28 man roster with a 3 man inactive taxi squad who could activate/deactivate each game infinite time. This would allow easier use for 2-3 day injuries, bereavement leave, Paternity Leave, etc.

Pitch Clock, pitchers stay on the rubber, Batters stay in the batters box -- could live with both. These Nomar/Hargrove style AB are just irritating so even a batters clock would be fine.

No wild cards, but go to 4 divisions per league or even go back to 4 Divisions and only Winners go to the Playoffs, No 1 game or 3 game playoff. If they absolutely must expand the playoff, drop the regular season back to 144 or 154 games so the World Series will be over by Oct 20 so no 30 degree, snowy playoff games

Simplify the Balk rule to make it more common sense.

Any man off the bench or bullpen gets an automatic 7 game suspension for 1st offense. 3rd man in on a fight -- double that. If the pitcher and batter want to settle a beef, it's up to them.
Let's be clear, the reason why they're changing the playoff format is for more TV money due to extra playoff rounds. It's the reason why I think seeing a 144 game schedule is out of the question, perhaps 154 games might be doable, but again, it's going to come down to economics for both the teams and the players.

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Let's be clear, the reason why they're changing the playoff format is for more TV money due to extra playoff rounds. It's the reason why I think seeing a 144 game schedule is out of the question, perhaps 154 games might be doable, but again, it's going to come down to economics for both the teams and the players.
Expanded playoffs should definitely mean a reduced regular season. 154 games will likely be approved.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Expanded playoffs should definitely mean a reduced regular season. 154 games will likely be approved.
This will be negotiated with the PA so I expect some kind of compromise, but you never know with these negotiating parties. It's not like they have a partner relationship like they do in the NBA in which the owners, commissioner and players work together as partners.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
I have to admit that I've been a fan of baseball fights.:blush:
A lot of people are. A lot of people loved hockey fights.
There are YouTube channels dedicated to them.

I just think it’s dumb in baseball.

when a guy starts yapping at another player followed by a bunch of dopes jumping over the railing. Silly and adds nothing to the game.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
And it's usually about something stupid like a bat flip, or how slow the guy jogs around the bases, or violation of one of the multitude of moronic "unwritten rules".

Reactions: Jeffrey D

David Norman

Premium
How about a couple of other rules -- any player can wear body armor (hard plate), but if he's hit on it he doesn't get a free base. Soft protection would be OK or a rare preapproved case to protect a surgical/medical issue ,

Anybody hit by a pitch that crosses over/between the inner lines of the batter's box isn't allowed a free base. No more diving into the plate to get hit by a pitch that's 3-4 inches or less from being a called strike ( or a few time a year a pitch that is actually a strike)

I don't mind a real baseball fight -- Robin Ventura/Nolan Ryan one on one style, but this mass mingling of 80-100 players.managers.batboys with the entire bullpens of both teams 'showing off' is silly. If the entire team in suspended for leaving the bench during a fight, they all serve concurrently with no replacement players and game will be forfeited if you don't have enough to field a team -- double team losses would be allowed if both teams are too short

Reactions: Malcolm R

Osato

Senior HTF Member
It would be interesting to see an all Chicago World Series where the games are all played in Texas.

last all Chicago Series was 1906.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NC_Mike