What's new

2020 Christmas films on DVD? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Guys,

I know it's been a bad year, but has anyone heard anything about any Christmas films making it out on DVD or blue ray this year?

Really hoping Klaus and A Christmas Chronicles might make it out at the store. I'm not into streaming services.
James

JackieT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jackie
Probably time to jump into streaming vs. waiting for a 480P disc. Both are on Netflix and in HD and possibly 4K. If you have T Mobile Netflix is free.

JackieT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jackie
What variables? You press "Netflix" on a remote, search for a 4K or HD movie or tv show, press play. Done. Obviously you have a 4K TV and odds are it's a smart set so you are pretty much set.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member

Already have amazon, and in my mind I cannot justify getting another one. The more stuff or streaming services you have the more it complicates things. And I don't feel right about getting a streaming service for just one or two series. I much prefer to getting the stuff I want to see. That's why physical copies mean so much to me. But I have to be careful on what I spend.

--James

JackieT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jackie
You realize you can start/stop any subscription anytime you wish. It really isn't that complicated to enjoy thousands of movies and tv shows via streaming.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, I have Amazon and Netflix, and refuse to sign up for a bunch of other individual streamers.

Either I find something on one of those two services or I buy a disc, or it's apparently nothing I need to see.

Every studio and distributor now having their own separate streaming service is just the new version of cable TV. You have to pay for a whole bunch of extra crap you don't want to get the few things you might want to watch.

Then there's all the signups, passwords, logins, payments, downloading of apps, making sure you have the right electronics, then hoping your Internet is fast enough to stop the endless buffering, and that it never goes down.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
There's only one Christmas film I'd like on blu this year, a full version of The Muppet Christmas Carol. Given that it's Disney and they haven't so far, I'll keep my DVD and not hold my breath waiting for a proper blu.

JackieT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jackie
There's only one Christmas film I'd like on blu this year, a full version of The Muppet Christmas Carol. Given that it's Disney and they haven't so far, I'll keep my DVD and not hold my breath waiting for a proper blu.

It's on D+ and HD version is for sale at numerous sites like Google Play for under $20.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Being that this is a thread specifically asking about disc releases and being that it’s posted specifically in the disc side of the forum, maybe we don’t need to turn it into one about the merits of streaming. There are plenty of other threads specifically for that purpose.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand

Wasn't the 20th anniversary edition released in 2012 the full version?
Mppet Christmas Carol.jpg

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
Wasn't the 20th anniversary edition released in 2012 the full version?
View attachment 80541

I think the DVD-only set had the uncut version, but not the Blu-only set or the Blu/DVD combo set.

As it stands, you can see the cut song on Disney+, separately from the film itself. Hopefully, Disney finds the uncut "Marley & Marley" sequence as well.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Every studio and distributor now having their own separate streaming service is just the new version of cable TV. You have to pay for a whole bunch of extra crap you don't want to get the few things you might want to watch.
Absolutely correct. Probably five years ago, I had a friend who dropped cable and said how great it was to be not spending money on it. In probably less than a year, he was spending about the same on subscriptions & iTunes and now, he's spending waaaaaay more than he ever used to spend on cable. Paying for access every month to their content is the wet dream of the studios and the public is happily sending them money every month. And that includes me because I subscribe to Disney + but the days of cable were vastly better in terms of spending.

JackieT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jackie
One benefit of the streaming platform is you can suspend or cancel your plan(s) at will with zero consequences. Then start back up whenever you wish. Can't usually do that with cable or satellite, especially when many force you into bundles with internet tacked on.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
One benefit of the streaming platform is you can suspend or cancel your plan(s) at will with zero consequences. Then start back up whenever you wish. Can't usually do that with cable or satellite, especially when many force you into bundles with internet tacked on.
We'll see how much longer that lasts. Once they've hooked enough people, I think we'll see "contracts" for streaming much like cell phones, and penalties for early cancellation.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
The wonderful 1955 Bogart/Ustinov Christmas black comedy "We're No Angels" was just announced on Blu-Ray for November. It's VistaVision, and the DVD that came out several years back was very nice, so it should be great (cheap, too, from Paramount). Also, Vinegar Syndrome is issuing a Blu-Ray of "Dial Code Santa Claus" this month. I've never seen it, but by reputation it's a precursor to "Home Alone". I guess I'll be seeing it soon, because I've ordered it from my local video retailer. So there's two for you!

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I have it on Fox MOD DVD, but I'd sure love a blu-ray version of Come to the Stable. It's probably not a typical Christmas film, but it sure has a cornucopia of It's a Wonderful Life moments. Just a thing of beauty all 'round. The We're No Angels news is fabulous, what a great Christmas treat. Lastly, would sure love a decent region A blu-ray of Barabbas. The French one is pretty weak and has non-removable French subs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks