What's new

2020-2021 NFL Season (1 Viewer)

Which team will win more games and have the most success this season?

• New England Patriots

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Here's a question, since I rarely watch the team play. If the Jets end up with the #1 overall pick and select Trevor Lawrence, is Sam Darnold able to be resurrected as a QB prospect if he's then traded elsewhere?
The Jets and Browns were both doing this for a few years at the same time- have a bad season, draft a QB, lather, rinse, repeat.
History should tell the Jets this doesn’t work. Get rid of Gase, and give Darnold another couple of years with another staff.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Jets and Browns were both doing this for a few years at the same time- have a bad season, draft a QB, lather, rinse, repeat.
History should tell the Jets this doesn’t work. Get rid of Gase, and give Darnold another couple of years with another staff.
However, Lawrence is considered a generational type QB which is very difficult to pass up. No pun intended.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
However, Lawrence is considered a generational type QB which is very difficult to pass up. No pun intended.
Interesting question- if the Texans hit rock bottom this year, and are on the clock, would they blow it all up, and take Lawrence? I think Watson can play, so what they should do is trade the #1 (they would get a good number of picks for Lawrence), and get adequate help for Watson (hard to draft leadership though- one of the Texans
biggest needs).

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I never was a big Bill O'Brien fan, and when he traded away DeAndre Hopkins it was time for him to go. Some horrible decisions involving the draft and Texans' roster. Maybe O'Brien can land a spot with the Lions? :)

- Walter.
O'Brien is exactly the type of hire you would expect from the Lions when they do fire Patricia.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Interesting question- if the Texans hit rock bottom this year, and are on the clock, would they blow it all up, and take Lawrence? I think Watson can play, so what they should do is trade the #1 (they would get a good number of picks for Lawrence), and get adequate help for Watson (hard to draft leadership though- one of the Texans
biggest needs).
Houston just gave Watson a huge contract, so he would be difficult to trade away. In their case, they would probably get a better haul by trading away the #1 pick.

That would not be the case with the Jets, though. I couldn't see them trading away the pick. Darnold hasn't signed a big 2nd contract yet, but his lack of development would also make for a lower return in
a trade. If he's salvageable, some team could pick up a QB cheap.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Houston just gave Watson a huge contract, so he would be difficult to trade away. In their case, they would probably get a better haul by trading away the #1 pick.

That would not be the case with the Jets, though. I couldn't see them trading away the pick. Darnold hasn't signed a big 2nd contract yet, but his lack of development would also make for a lower return in
a trade. If he's salvageable, some team could pick up a QB cheap.
Right- Watson is under a big contract, so he’s there for a while. The Texans could use a horrific season to cash in on a trade for their #1 pick to get help for their QB.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Adam Gase was an outstanding OC, but his failure as a head coach is on him. He needs to grow the hell up.

My feeling is Gase is the worst coach in the NFL and the Jets never should have hired him in the first place. He totally lost the team when he coached the Dolphins. I believe Gase is done as a HC and really he should have been the first coach fired this season as he is destroying any development of Sam Darnold. The Jets are the worst team in the NFL and that is thanks to Gase.

Can't say I was surprised the Texans fired O'Brien as that was a bad relationship for years and when he made his offseason moves this season they warned him he better win games. 0-4 start and he's gone but 3 of those loses were to good teams (Chiefs, Ravens, Steelers) and the team was banged up. O'Brien is a guy that I think should get another shot. He consistently got his team into the playoffs despite not having a QB most years and the team usually being decimated with injuries. I think he had a very high difficulty level to overcome in Houston, management was constantly screwing with him, until they drafted Watson his QB situation was awful, the team always lost key players to injury, but he kept his teams together and got them into the playoffs over and over and never did a team quit on him when all signs pointed to them having no hope.

I think the Jets should consider O'Brien as should the Falcons...the other team that should fire their HC.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Lions fans should burn their jerseys in front of Ford Field, and boycott the team if this happens.
Nothing will help that franchise, except the Ford Family selling the team. That's unlikely to happen for a few more decades, as owner Martha Ford named her daughter as acting owner in the offseason. She appears to be a clone of daddy and mommy -- a person who has lived an isolated, charmed life, without ever doing anything in the real world. The only person in that family that appears to have any business ability is the son, William Clay Ford, Jr. And he became an outcast after publicly stating that he would fire Matt Millen if it was his decision. Dad didn't like that, as he loved Millen and junior's statement forced Millen to resign.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Jets fans and local media would go nuts as O’Brien isn’t well thought of in the NYC metro.

I agree it probably won't happen, the Jets are a team that tends to make odd moves, hiring Gase after he was a total debacle in Miami was stunningly dumb. The Lions and Falcons should also be looking for new head coaches. I'm not sure any of these teams will hire O'Brien, he may go back to coaching a college team...I think he would enjoy that more. My point with O'Brien is I think he deserves a shot at coaching in the NFL again. In the six seasons he coached the Texans they finished first in their division and went to the playoffs in 4 of the 6 and 2nd in his first season. This was despite the fact that his team did not have a QB until they drafted Watson and at one point management forced the legendary Brock Osweiler on him as he begged them not to sign him. The Texans have been on the verge of firing O'Brien since the Osweiler thing because he was pretty blunt with them about how bad an idea it was to sign him...and they gave him a big ridiculous contract which O'Brien I believe told them was stupid.

Mostly, O'Brien never had a chance for success in Houston but he dominated the division anyway. I think in a better place on a team where management works with him rather than against him, he would likely do better. Maybe out of the likely available jobs Atlanta would be his best landing spot. Again though, I think the trend in the NFL right now is to look at young offensive minded or QB coaches.

I can see the Jets wanting to go after somebody like James Urban, the Ravens QB coach. Of course the Jets being the Jets they could try to land Rex Ryan's wife to coach the team.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This morning there are more Covid issues in the NFL. This season is still in jeopardy, at least, when it comes to having a 16 game schedule.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I agree it probably won't happen, the Jets are a team that tends to make odd moves, hiring Gase after he was a total debacle in Miami was stunningly dumb. The Lions and Falcons should also be looking for new head coaches. I'm not sure any of these teams will hire O'Brien, he may go back to coaching a college team...I think he would enjoy that more. My point with O'Brien is I think he deserves a shot at coaching in the NFL again. In the six seasons he coached the Texans they finished first in their division and went to the playoffs in 4 of the 6 and 2nd in his first season. This was despite the fact that his team did not have a QB until they drafted Watson and at one point management forced the legendary Brock Osweiler on him as he begged them not to sign him. The Texans have been on the verge of firing O'Brien since the Osweiler thing because he was pretty blunt with them about how bad an idea it was to sign him...and they gave him a big ridiculous contract which O'Brien I believe told them was stupid.

Mostly, O'Brien never had a chance for success in Houston but he dominated the division anyway. I think in a better place on a team where management works with him rather than against him, he would likely do better. Maybe out of the likely available jobs Atlanta would be his best landing spot. Again though, I think the trend in the NFL right now is to look at young offensive minded or QB coaches.

I can see the Jets wanting to go after somebody like James Urban, the Ravens QB coach. Of course the Jets being the Jets they could try to land Rex Ryan's wife to coach the team.

Well, O'Brien was both GM and head coach, so I'm not sure he can blame management too much, since he was mostly making the player personnel decisions. And while he may have been right about Osweiler, he wanted to go with Tom Savage at QB and not draft Watson. That would have been a horrible decision, as was the decision to trade Hopkins for an oft-injured running back nearing the end of his NFL shelf life.

If O'Brien wants to have a longer career, he should hang up immediately if the Lions call him. Detroit is where coaching careers go to die. During the Ford Family era (over 60 years), no permanent head coach from the Lions has ever landed another NFL head coaching job after leaving the organization -- only interim coach Dick Jauron got another HC job. In fact, only Bobby Ross ever landed another head coaching gig at any level -- coaching at Army for a few years.

As long as the Lions and Jets are such incompetent franchises, they will never attract the hot coaching candidates. Such candidates are better off staying where they are at for another year if the only jobs available are in Detroit or NY.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Well, O'Brien was both GM and head coach, so I'm not sure he can blame management too much, since he was mostly making the player personnel decisions.

Well, he was only the GM and got to make player personnel decisions as of this season so most of his tenure he was at the mercy of his managers. I thought O'Brien had glowing things to say about Watson. I think the Tom Savage thing (which was he started Savage in game 1 of Watson's rookie season) was overblown by nutty fans. It was not that he did not want to draft Watson, he felt in game one of the season when Watson was a rookie that Savage was a better start at that moment. Savage had a good preseason and Watson was learning. Of course fans turned that into a crazy myth that O'Brien thought Savage was a better player than Watson which was not the case. He just thought that Savage was the better play in week one and why wouldn't he, he had been winning games with nobodies at QB up to that point.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Florida sports stadiums are allowed to return to full capacity per the Governor. Dolphins say they'll be sticking to a cap of 13,000 at their stadium for now. Haven't heard about Jaguars or Bucs.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, he was only the GM and got to make player personnel decisions as of this season so most of his tenure he was at the mercy of his managers. I thought O'Brien had glowing things to say about Watson. I think the Tom Savage thing (which was he started Savage in game 1 of Watson's rookie season) was overblown by nutty fans. It was not that he did not want to draft Watson, he felt in game one of the season when Watson was a rookie that Savage was a better start at that moment. Savage had a good preseason and Watson was learning. Of course fans turned that into a crazy myth that O'Brien thought Savage was a better player than Watson which was not the case. He just thought that Savage was the better play in week one and why wouldn't he, he had been winning games with nobodies at QB up to that point.
Yeah, but it was his last two trades that got O'Brien in trouble. Of course, leading by 24 against the Chiefs in last year's playoffs didn't help his cause either.:)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Florida sports stadiums are allowed to return to full capacity per the Governor. Dolphins say they'll be sticking to a cap of 13,000 at their stadium for now. Haven't heard about Jaguars or Bucs.
Freaking idiot. As if the risks of that haven't become abundantly clear. Of course, that topic is probably treading the line, so that's all I'll say.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Holy cow.

signed off on allowing full stadiums for Miami Dolphins, Jacksonville Jaguars, and Tampa Bay Bucs games in the state

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
About this attendance issue- Goodell and the owners should have agreed to make it fair for everybody- no fans at all. The idea of some teams are allowed to have fans and others are not is ridiculous and unfair, from both a competitive and economic standpoint. Goodell comes across as a bigger ass with each passing day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks