What's new

2020-2021 NFL Season (1 Viewer)

Which team will win more games and have the most success this season?

• New England Patriots

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I have just about lost complete faith in Gruden as I don't have any idea what in the hell he's doing right now. He just cut his starting center which means he's cut 4 of their 5 starting offensive linemen. I've been questioning Gruden's moves for the last 2-3 seasons, but now I'm almost at the point in which I have zero confidence in his ability to build a winning organization.
How much cap room does Gruden have?

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Not much so I understood some of those cuts, but damn, how are you going to compete with no offensive line next season.
Yes building an offensive line in front of a QB that not everyone is on board with- what the heck is going on in Vegas?
I’m a little surprised that Gruden has kept Carr this long, unless he couldn’t get the right deal for him, or it would have cost too much money to part with him.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
As a Raiders fan, I can actually see what they are trying to do, but not sure that it is going to work.

Having spent a lot of $$$ on the O-line and not getting the returns expected - having the top paid line being ranked in the 20th best range doesn't seem to be a good investment. These guys are also getting older, and not performing up to their contracts. They have been collecting/building the backup linemen up, and they have come in on occasion to various degrees of success...

So they are trying to get younger and cheaper in the line, and stop ignoring the defense side of the ball, where they have been putrid for a long time. Especially in a year with a lowered cap, having this large of a % of your cap space used up in an underperforming line does not make since.

LT- spent a first round draft pick on Miller- and is doing well, but a contract extension is coming
LG - Bringing back Incognito on a one year cheap contract - was hurt most of last year, but is good when healthy...but old and needs replacing.
C - Hudson was highly paid and very good - but reports are he didn't want to be here anymore. Young backup guy James was good when he got in there - again, replacing a high paid contract with cheap one and getting younger. I am just happy they got something for him, as early reports were they were just going to release him, and looking forward to see what James could do next year.
RG - Jackson was highly paid and just average, and they have 2 young guards in the wings coming from Alabama and Clemson. Letting these guys battle it out, and hopefully get some pointers from Incognito.
RT - Went from the highest paid RT who could not stay on the field to a question mark - but at least a healthy body. Again I am happy they got something for Brown, but having him restructure his massive contract for New England sucked. I'm hoping he keeps up his habit of not showing up for game day for them. They have a 3rd year player in Parker who has not shown anything, but they brought back Good for another year, and he has filled in at both Guard and Tackle.

I'm hoping that these young guys can step up, and hopefully move the pile in short yardage situations. This seems to be a big issue last year, as even Hudson was getting stuffed and blown back in short yardage. I think they ended up kicking way too many field goals because they could not punch it in from the 1...

As for the new young guys - found this write up after Hudson left and I was feeling down:

In 2020 Simpson recorded 252 snaps allowing 1 sack, 6 pressures, and 2 hits. The peak of his season came when he allowed 0 pressures in his week 17 start vs the Broncos.

Gruden stated that "It was an audition" for Simpson. Needless to say it seems the staff likes what they saw. A lethal run blocker with good potential in the pass game.

In 2020, James only logged one snap. In 2019 he started one game in relief of Rodney Hudson recording 116 snaps in 1 and a half games of action. James allowed 0 sacks, 2 pressures, 0 hits, and 0 hurries.

James has learned under Hudson for 2 years and as a former T is incredibly agile for his frame (6-4 | 310). A former TE, James is very agile and smooth in his run blocking and powerful in his pass blocking.

We all were taken away by the release of Rodney Hudson but the Raiders and mainly Tom Cable must see something in Andre James to make a sudden and surprising move. The Raiders run blocking took a severe decline last year and while it's an extreme response the team gets younger and saves money when it comes to the IOL. Tom Cable has worked his magic with Kolton Miller and Brandon Parker, let's see what he can do with young guys in projected starters John Simpson and
Andre James along with versatile OL Kamaal Seymour and G Lester Cotton.

Seymour is an interesting name to watch as at Rutgers he started 41 straight games at either T spot or either G spot and one game at C, allowing 1 sack, 14 pressures, and only 2 hits. Seymour was the only player in the NCAA to hold Chase Young to 0 sacks, hits, hurries, or pressures. A devastating run blocker with good upside in the pass blocking game. His versatility to be able to play anywhere on the OL is special as well.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
NFL finalizes $110B TV rights deal. It's not much different in which networks are covering what games -- except that Amazon gets the Thursday Night games. ESPN also gets the ability to flex Monday Night games beginning in Week 12, and I thought I saw elsewhere that they get two MNF games a few times during the season (instead of just the opening weekend).

Who needs fans in the stands with that type of TV money? Get ready for even more commercial timeouts. ;)

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Found something that backs up why the Raiders are changing up their O line:

- #1 Paid Unit in the NFL
- 10th Ranked Pass Block Win Rate
- 27th Ranked Run Block Win Rate

Not one player ranked in the top 10 at their position in either PBWR or RBWR

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Found something that backs up why the Raiders are changing up their O line:

- #1 Paid Unit in the NFL
- 10th Ranked Pass Block Win Rate
- 27th Ranked Run Block Win Rate

Not one player ranked in the top 10 at their position in either PBWR or RBWR
In fairness, the offensive line in 2020 had major injuries throughout the starters which contributed to their performance decline.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Wow, the 49ers just traded for Miami's 3rd pick in the draft. They gave up the 12th pick in this draft plus a 3rd rounder and two first round picks in 2022 and 2023.

Damn, the Dolphins just traded back up in this year's draft with the Eagles.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I assume this means the Eagles will play Hurts, and not draft a QB in the first round now. Will the 49ers draft a QB, and get rid of Garoppolo?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Speculation here is the Eagles we’re going to get the third pic.
Tgey first Spoke To Jets Joe Douglas to see who he would be picking.
Told Ragles it would be Zach Wilson.
Eagles wanted Wilson so they
Did not do the trade.
did this trade with Miami instead and maybe use the accumulated picks to trade for an established qb

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Speculation here is the Eagles we’re going to get the third pic.
Tgey first Spoke To Jets Joe Douglas to see who he would be picking.
Told Ragles it would be Zach Wilson.
Eagles wanted Wilson so they
Did not do the trade.
did this trade with Miami instead and maybe use the accumulated picks to trade for an established qb
Why wouldn’t the Eagles just stick with Hurts? No harm in seeing what he looks like for a season.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Odd to see draft picks traded around this far away from the draft. These are moves you normally see during the actual draft.

Jimmy G is a goner in San Fran. The only reason for the Niners to make this move is to get in position to take a QB.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Jimmy G is a goner in San Fran. The only reason for the Niners to make this move is to get in position to take a QB.

Most likely Jimmy is on the move. They may keep him for this season though as from what I understand that is possible. The 49ers are supposedly targeting Trey Lance with the third pick. He is a perfect fit for what Shanahan wants to do and his system.

Also I will say this, I did not know much if anything about the QBs that are said to be going in the first round outside of Lawrence and Fields. So, I went and watched them all on youtube to get an idea what they look like as potential NFL players. Here is my 2 cents:

Wilson - I honestly am just not seeing it with this kid. He has shot up draft boards and he is chosen by a couple people as the best QB in the draft. I admit he looks good in the BYU offense but I have to say, he makes a lot of what to me look like risky throws. I think he got away with a lot and he won't in the NFL. Personally, I think he looks like he could be an interception machine at the pro level. Hey, I'm not an NFL scout nor do I play one on TV but this kid I think will have his eyes opened when he sees what NFL speed and talent are like to play against. I wish him all the best and I hope he is successful but I don't see that being easy as a New York Jet.

Lance - Well, I have to say looking at all the QBs that could go in the first round, this guy intrigues me the most outside of Lawrence. Honestly, if Lance was the guy all these NFL people were gushing about as the number 2 QB, I would get it. Yes, he played at a smaller school against not great talent and like Wilson he only has one good season as a starter...BUT...his combination of size and potential along with his physical tools look very interesting. If I was going to take a risk on one of these QBs outside of Lawrence, I think this would be the guy. In fact other than Lawrence this is the only other QB that I personally would draft in round 1. Also, if the 49ers take Lance, and I assume they will unless the Jets pass on Wilson and leave the 49ers a big choice to make, he really comes into a much better position than Lawrence will walk into in Jacksonville. This is a big deal because it does matter where a QB goes in terms of his success. We could be looking at Lance as a brilliant move by the 49ers a few years down the road while Lawrence could still be struggling with the Jaguars. I'm just saying.

Jones - The thing about these Alabama QBs is they have been surrounded by amazing talent that probably helped them look better than they are. That goes for Tua as well. I don't think this guy would have had the college success he has if he had to play somewhere other than Alabama. He is strictly a pocket passer so he fits into a more old school approach when it comes to offensive scheme. Honestly, Jones probably should not get taken in Round 1. He looks like he potentially would be a career back-up in the NFL rather than a franchise QB. That's not to say if he goes to the right team and the right situation he won't become a player...he could...but he certainly needs to go somewhere where he will fit. His good fortune is he will drop far enough in the draft that he will have a chance to go to a better team than the Jets or Jaguars. He could end up a Viking or a Patriot. I'm not sold on him though and I think if he gets taken in Round 1 it will be a definite reach based on how much teams value QBs.

I won't say much about Lawrence and Fields. Lawrence has been seen as the top QB in this draft, meaning he probably comes with the least amount of risk, for some time. Nothing has changed with that and he will most certainly end up a Jaguar. This means he will need not just to adapt to the NFL, which I think he can do, but also to playing on a team that needs to do a lot to become a playoff team under a coach with a big ego that has never coached in the NFL. He will have his hands full. Fields also has been listed as a first round pick for some time. He seems to have fallen on most boards though from the sure thing QB2 to either the third or fourth best QB in this draft. I think he is certainly a risky choice and he also needs to go to a team that wants to build a system around him and his skill set rather than getting him to fit in a system. I think this is why he has dropped while Wilson and Lance have surpassed him.

Here's the one thing that I think is true, there are several NFL scouting and talent people that say this group of QBs is the most over hyped they have seen in many years. Honestly, I think this is true and outside of Lawrence, these guys are all super risky choices. I do like what I've seen from Trey Lance though and if ends up paired with Shanahan...well...I don't think a rookie QB could ask to be in a better position to start his career.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
It appears the Sam Darnold market has tanked. After one NFL guy came right out and said "He stinks!" a slew of others chimed in saying they would not give up more than a third or fourth round pick for him or that they would not trade for him at all. It appears there are only a couple teams that will even make an offer for him. The Broncos are desperate to add a QB and probably are the best hope but they are also one of the few teams willing to make an offer for Deshaun Watson...who's stock has plummeted due to the 19 lawsuits against him...and probably still hold out some hope of landing him at a much lower price than the Texans originally wanted. Obviously, the Texans appear to have blown it and both the Jets and Dolphins (once the top two potential landing spots for Watson) are now no longer interested.

It certainly no longer looks like the Texans can get the 3 or 4 first round picks, 2 starting players, and additional later round picks that appeared to be their starting asking price. At this stage they should dump Watson for a first rounder and some additional picks if they can get that. I mean if they get an offer for two first round picks they should leap at it. The Broncos and Panthers appear to be the two teams with the most interest in Watson now but the Panthers are the team that also is most mentioned to be drafting Justin Fields if he falls to them at the 8th pick.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It appears the Sam Darnold market has tanked. After one NFL guy came right out and said "He stinks!" a slew of others chimed in saying they would not give up more than a third or fourth round pick for him or that they would not trade for him at all. It appears there are only a couple teams that will even make an offer for him. The Broncos are desperate to add a QB and probably are the best hope but they are also one of the few teams willing to make an offer for Deshaun Watson...who's stock has plummeted due to the 19 lawsuits against him...and probably still hold out some hope of landing him at a much lower price than the Texans originally wanted. Obviously, the Texans appear to have blown it and both the Jets and Dolphins (once the top two potential landing spots for Watson) are now no longer interested.

It certainly no longer looks like the Texans can get the 3 or 4 first round picks, 2 starting players, and additional later round picks that appeared to be their starting asking price. At this stage they should dump Watson for a first rounder and some additional picks if they can get that. I mean if they get an offer for two first round picks they should leap at it. The Broncos and Panthers appear to be the two teams with the most interest in Watson now but the Panthers are the team that also is most mentioned to be drafting Justin Fields if he falls to them at the 8th pick.
There is no NFL team going to trade for Watson until he gets his legal issues straighten out. It could be a PR nightmare that any owner wouldn't want to deal with right now.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
There is no NFL team going to trade for Watson until he gets his legal issues straighten out. It could be a PR nightmare that any owner wouldn't want to deal with right now.

No team should trade for him, I mean right now he looks like a serial sexual assaulter and not someone you want to be associated with. The league could suspend him for the season as his legal issues are sorted out. His value is in the tank but in the NFL having as much talent as Watson has will land you another chance to play pretty much every time.

I'm thinking the Texans are wishing they had shipped him out quickly when teams were begging to trade for him. He is young and very talented so, while it is probably not a good idea, if a team gets the chance to land him at a bargain price they will probably do it. Maybe not until we see more where all these lawsuits are going but I think the Texans will ship him out now when the opportunity arises.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
No team should trade for him, I mean right now he looks like a serial sexual assaulter and not someone you want to be associated with. The league could suspend him for the season as his legal issues are sorted out. His value is in the tank but in the NFL having as much talent as Watson has will land you another chance to play pretty much every time.

I'm thinking the Texans are wishing they had shipped him out quickly when teams were begging to trade for him. He is young and very talented so, while it is probably not a good idea, if a team gets the chance to land him at a bargain price they will probably do it. Maybe not until we see more where all these lawsuits are going but I think the Texans will ship him out now when the opportunity arises.
I have a major problem if the NFL suspends him for a year without any criminal charges being filed.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I have a major problem if the NFL suspends him for a year without any criminal charges being filed.

I don't know if they will do that but Goodell and the NFL certainly have taken a position of wanting to look tough on this stuff and they want to lean toward punishment over wrist slapping at this point. They have announced they are investigating and that he is likely to get hit with violating the personal conduct policy.

No criminal charges are yet filed but they are probably likely going to come now that he is up to 20 women accusing him. It's a pretty bad look.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks