What's new

2020-2021 NFL Season (1 Viewer)

Which team will win more games and have the most success this season?

• New England Patriots

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Someone talked earlier about Haskins having an erratic arm. The NFL average completion percentage is 66.4. Haskin's has got a got a career completion percentage of about 60%. I know the main performance issue that kept Tebow from the league was his low completion percentage (the other being the circus he brings with him). But even so I never thought of Haskins having an erratic arm. I knock him for not respecting the job and what goes into it, for believing talent alone will sustain him. Sometimes I think he has bad judgment on the option, when to keep and when to give.

A 60% completion percentage is not good in today's NFL -- hence my comment that Haskins is not accurate. He does have a strong arm, though, which is different than Tebow. Tim Tebow was not only inaccurate, but he also had a weak arm. Tebow's main physical quality was mobility, which is something that Haskins lacks.

Tebow didn't make it because he didn't have anything close to an NFL arm. He and Haskins are not really comparable.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The Corning Tower in downtown Albany last night...
A photo of the Corning Tower at night. The lights are selectively lit up so that the side of the building reads 'NY Tough' at the top, and 'Go Bills' at the bottom.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
This is a mutual trade so I expect Stafford's agent to renegotiate his contract in order to get out of Detroit.

I am not sure that Detroit would want to renegotiate the contract before trading Stafford, as it would just push the salary cap hit further down the road for them. If the team is going to rebuild, better to get the dead money cap hit out of the way now. I think the cap hit for any team acquiring Stafford is only around $21M for each of the next two seasons, which is actually quite low by today's market.

There will be quite a few veteran QBs on the market this offseason -- Watson, Stafford, Trubisky (UFA), Winston (UFA), possibly Garrapolo and Goff. There may be others, too. Watson will cost the most assets to acquire, and Stafford probably the 2nd most. I could see Indy, Washington, San Fran and New Orleans all being interested in Stafford. Dallas could be a dark horse, too, as Stafford is from that area and Prescott's contract demands and health status are both question marks.

I doubt that the Jets or Miami would give up their high first round picks for Stafford -- if they are going to give up that type of asset, it would be for Watson. New England needs a lot more on offense than just a QB, so I'm not sure they would want to spend the assets that Detroit would be asking for -- someone like Garrapolo would be a cheaper stop gap for them. Pittsburgh has too many holes to fill to be giving up draft picks, plus they have huge salary cap issues.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Stafford is going on get traded, one way or another.

I never said otherwise. I am just interested to see what Detroit is able to get back in a trade, as QBs like this do not hit the market very often. They will probably ask for a first round pick, and one other pick. If I was betting on where he ends up, I would guess, in order, Indy, Washington, or San Fran as the most likely landing spots.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I doubt that the Jets or Miami would give up their high first round picks for Stafford -- if they are going to give up that type of asset, it would be for Watson.

Yes, no way the Dolphins or Jets make that kind of trade for Stafford. The high pick in a Stafford trade seems likely to be a second rounder, at least there is a rumor that's what the Lions will take for him. I see the Colts as being the most likely landing spot for Stafford with the next most likely the 49ers. The 49ers are said to be looking at all their QB options and mostly that starts with if they can move Garoppolo with probably the most likely trade partner for that being the Patriots. I'd like to see Stafford in the Patriots sights as well but Belichick is far more likely to bring back Jimmy G who knows the Patriots system and ran it well outside of his injury issues. Cam Newton was a debacle and Bill won't land Stafford at that kind of bargain price so probably no chance of Stafford playing for the Patriots.

Obviously Stafford at 32 wants his chance to play for team that can give him a chance to be competitive in the playoffs so he can maybe reach a Super Bowl. So, Colts, 49ers, Saints all make sense. The Colts are ready to make the move, Rivers is already retired, which is why I think they have the highest probability to lock him up. If you are Stafford playing for the Colts, 49ers, or Saints are all a major step up...all three teams have sharp offensive coaches that would be great for him. Supposedly the Lions are willing to work with Stafford on the trade so if he is getting a say in where he goes I think it should be one of those three.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I never said otherwise. I am just interested to see what Detroit is able to get back in a trade, as QBs like this do not hit the market very often. They will probably ask for a first round pick, and one other pick. If I was betting on where he ends up, I would guess, in order, Indy, Washington, or San Fran as the most likely landing spots.
I never said you did, I’m just saying that Stafford will be traded and that the Lions are in full rebuild mode.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I doubt Stafford would bring back a 1st round pick. Interesting to see where he goes, and what his value is.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, I am totally pumped to watch these two football games today. I have all kinds of food ready, I have the beverages ready, I have the home theater all warmed up...I AM READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!!!

These two games have star players all over the field. One game features the two best veteran QBs, the other the two best young gunslingers. All the QBs have a slew of weapons at their disposal. This should be fun! This is a unique situation too in that I think no matter who wins we will still get a great Super Bowl.

I am rooting for the Packers in game 1 and for the Bills to slip past the Chiefs in a shootout of legendary proportions. As Tom Brady is so fond of shouting "Let's goooooooo!"

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I doubt Stafford would bring back a 1st round pick. Interesting to see where he goes, and what his value is.
I am not saying Stafford is worth it, but if the return is less than a 1st round pick, there are going to be a lot of disappointed Lions fans around here. That's what most of them are expecting. Of course, most Lions fans think Stafford is better than he really is, since he's the best QB anyone around here has seen in a Lions uniform. There have been a lot of bad QB's wearing Honolulu Blue.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
No shot they get a 1st for him.

There is some buzz around Eagles Talk that they should trade Wentz or Hurts for him.

I don’t want him.

Colts and Saints need a new guy, maybe one of them will get him.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Tampa has just made Super Bowl history (being the designated home side in their own stadium in the Super Bowl)!

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Major blunder by the Packers in not going for it on 4th and goal from the 8. They kicked a field goal instead, which left them still needing a touchdown to win.

Down by 8 points with only four minutes to go in the conference championship game is not the time to be hyper-conservative.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Major blunder by the Packers in not going for it on 4th and goal from the 8. They kicked a field goal instead, which left them still needing a touchdown to win.

Down by 8 points with only four minutes to go in the conference championship game is not the time to be hyper-conservative.
That wasn't the only poor coaching moment on the Packers sideline in this game. Whoever called that pass coverage at the end of the first half screwed up big time. I think that's the third time this season where a team has been burned with that tight man coverage at the end of the half or game. And the decision to go for two points in the third quarter was stupid, too. That's way too early to be chasing points. Kicking that field goal was just the cherry on the top of a sundae of bad coaching decisions.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Another thing, his scratchy voice is annoying too which makes his constant talking too much to take for me. I might actually watch the SB without the audio and see if I can get the radio broadcast through my mobile device.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
My take on Romo was that he thought the Bills had a chance early and pissed it away with second-rate coaching and execution. A deluge of unforced errors by the Bills is why Romo was so vocal. Because he cares about football and a franchise that went to the Super Bowl four times and lost. He cares about Bills fans who've endured a lot. It was harder for me to watch the Bills make bad decision after bad decision than it was to listen to Romo talk knowledgeably and passionately about the game he loves.

What was Romo wrong about? If the Bills had a realistic chance to win that game, you have to chip Kelce. If the Bills have a realistic chance to win that game, they can't kick field goals in the red zone. If the Bills have a realistic chance to win that game, they can't allow multiple free runners. I'll stop there but in my opinion he wasn't wrong about the other things he said either.

And this cements Brady over Montana for me. Joe got the Chiefs in the playoffs but never got his second team to the SB. Brady has. I'm not sure he can win, but I didn't think they would beat the Packers....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks