What's new

2019 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Now the long break from sports until March!

looking forward to next baseball season!

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The ball was a close to a foot inside the foul line (about lined up with the inner part of the bag) when the runner knocked the glove off Gurriel's hand though. Would have been great if was directly at his body, but it was an easily catchable ball. Turner's left hip hit the tip/pocket of the first base mitt

I would bet a large amt of money that if they had not called interference, Hinch would have gone ballistic. Also if it was Bregman/Zimmerman involved.

It's a critical play with a fuzzy Judgement Call rule that was going to cause problems no matter which direction it goes. It happens in the regular season all the time and virtually every time I see that play no matter what the ump calls.

Fan Interference, Catcher Blocking the Plate (or not), runner out of baseline, Balks -- in a critical situation of a big game somebody is going to be complaining. Holbrook Infield Fly Rule in a playoff game.

I agree that the most important thing was that the call basically ended up meaningless and Gurriel wasn't hurt.
Hinch was interviewed by the Mad Dog (Chris Russo) yesterday before game 7, and Hinch said he wouldn’t have argued if Turner wasn’t called out. While the rule may have been interpreted correctly, the ump shouldn’t have made the call
(Turner ran straight to the base, it was an inaccurate throw, and Turner was maybe a foot inside the line). The Nationals saved the bacon of Holbrook and baseball (maybe Holbrook shouldn’t get any more playoff games going forward).

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Congratulations to the Nationals- amazing run to the trophy (3 comeback wins in elimination games). I wasn’t rooting for either team, but it’s poetic justice that they won due to their getting hosed over that ticky-tack call, and the crew chief wanted to bait Martinez into an ejection.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Do Astros fans blame Hinch for the loss because he never brought in Cole in the 7th inning?

As an Astros fan in the Houston area, I don’t, though I think a few fans tweeted as much. The Astros weren’t going to score again anyway, and Harris had been the go-to stopper in situations like that all during the post season. The game was not lost IMO due to any pitching moves Hinch made. The real pitching story was that in the games the Nationals won, the Astros could not hit their pitching.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The final game of the WS finally drew a sizable audience. I think many people just don't watch until it's a potentially final game, as the ratings were quite low until games 6 and 7 when one team could potentially clinch the series.

2019 World Series: Game 7 (FOX) (8-11 p.m.) 5.6/24 rating; 21.19 million viewers

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Poor job by Cole after the game- making a statement that he’s not talking to the press as an employee of the team. Gerrit needs enlightenment on how to handle losing, and what doesn’t come off to the public.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The national media is killing Hinch.
Hinch implied that he was not going to use Cole if the team was behind in the game. This is where I second guess him (bringing in Harris instead of Osuna is debatable- Harris allowed a HR the night before). MLB Radio’s Steve Phillips likes to say holding a deficit is crucial to winning or losing. Bringing in Cole to start the 8th to keep it a 1 run game might have had a different result.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Congratulations to the Washington Nationals!

Poor job by Cole after the game- making a statement that he’s not talking to the press as an employee of the team. Gerrit needs enlightenment on how to handle losing, and what doesn’t come off to the public.

Was he talking to the press in the locker room or the interview tables? If that, when is a player not actually in the game ever get asked to do that? Anyway, the thing I didn't like is Cole wearing a hat afterwards with his agent's logo on it.
_______

I loved this article in WaPo today by Thomas Boswell, referencing "Damn Yankees."

Pay attention to the Washington Nationals’ victory parade Saturday. Make sure those who ride in those cars and sit on that stage appear young and hearty.

Because if instead Anthony Rendon, Howie Kendrick, Juan Soto, Max Scherzer, Stephen Strasburg and 20 others appear to be elderly men, we will know they truly sold their souls to pull off this once-in-a-century triumph.

A great read, IMO, If you're so inclined:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...671ab2-fb4b-11e9-8906-ab6b60de9124_story.html

As a Dodger fan, this quote had me:

Sometimes the baseball gods seem to say, “You’ve done enough. You deserve this. So, here’s a little help.”
--Thomas Boswell, in today's Washington Post

It was the bottom of the 9th inning in Game 5 of the NLDS against Washington. 2 outs. Our rookie catcher Will Smith came up. He pounded a pitch that sounded like a sure thing -- a home run -- so much so that the Dodger bench jumped the railing and was ready to pounce on him. But all of a sudden the ball just fell...it seemed like it was swatted down--six inches short of a division series game winning home run, into the glove of a Washington National.

As happy as I am that the Nationals won the WS this year, I still have that ache in my being for my Dodger team trying to win (getting close to going for over ten years) and then two years in a row getting to the WS and losing and then falling short this year. By 6 inches. Not this year, Dodgers. What if?

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Ugh. Fucking Van Wagenen
I can’t help but think that the owner hired an under-qualified guy to be the GM. The Cano/
Diaz trade never made sense to me, especially when you consider that they’re paying an aging Cano his whole contract. That contract, and Cespedes’s money (over/under is April 30th of next year when he’s injured again) will hamstring the team against improving it.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The speculation from some in the media is Strasburg will get a 7 year deal from a team,
and a number that someone is throwing around
is $238 million. This is wishful thinking by the media- Strasburg isn’t getting a deal like this.
He’s 31, and teams have slowed down on giving players over 30 this many years. My prediction is a deal closer to 5/$175 million.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The speculation from some in the media is Strasburg will get a 7 year deal from a team,
and a number that someone is throwing around
is $238 million. This is wishful thinking by the media- Strasburg isn’t getting a deal like this.
He’s 31, and teams have slowed down on giving players over 30 this many years. My prediction is a deal closer to 5/$175 million.
I think he gets at least six years and that Cole gets 7-8 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.