1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

2019 MLB Season

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Patrick_S, Mar 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    This is the worst rule in all the major sports.
    It’s just simply dumb to make a runner go into foul territory then run back into fair territory to make a legal play.

This is a rule that relies on an umpires personal decision and that’s why it’s not reviewable, baseball calls this a judgment call.

If the ump lets it play out then forces the Astros to review it and it’s doubtful it gets changed.

2. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    They will never make a double bag.
    The best resolution is to just let the runner have the same space on the fair side as he does on the foul side.
    Don’t even have to put a box like on the other side.
    Just use the grass as the marker.

Such a dumb rule.

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I agree, as the rule as written doesn't give the runner much of a chance to beat out a throw on a close play at 1st base unless the runner is in fair territory close to the bag.

Anyhow, the play didn't really factor into the game which was a good thing. No matter what happens tonight in Game 7, this is a WS that will be remember for all of these road wins by each team.

4. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Supporting Actor

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    Yes this is the first time 6 games were won by the road team in 1 World Series.

Osato likes this.
  5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Which is a real letdown for the home fans on both sides. They all show up at the ballpark, paying WS ticket prices, just to watch their team lose.

Osato and MartinP. like this.
  6. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Supporting Actor

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    Especially for the Nationals fans- the team was awful in games 3-5 (they stopped hitting).

Osato likes this.
  7. MartinP.

MartinP. Supporting Actor

Martin
    If it were anyone else but Bregman, I'd agree with you. :)
    (I heard he apologized for doing it.)

Osato likes this.
  8. MartinP.

Martin
    Joe Torre was saying, "it's the responsibility of the runner not to interfere with the 1B making the play at first." But his glove was practically on the base itself where he had any chance of catching it. Why should the runner need to worry about that? At the very least the way that catch played out they might change the rule where the runner could be safe, but no extra bases could be taken. That's my judgment call.

Malcolm R likes this.
  9. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Yeah, the runner's back is to the play. He has no idea where the ball is or where the throw is coming from. I don't understand why he'd be responsible for anything? The 1B can see the ball and the throw; he can get out of the runner's way, if necessary.

10. Message #730 of 761 Oct 30, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    David Norman

David Norman Producer

Like it or not, it is a rule of the game. The runner knew the ball was being fielded behind him, the exact path of the fielder and throw isn't relevant, he can see the 1st baseman setting up to catch the ball, IT IS HIS RESPONSIBILITY to be in the legal position and only leave the legal lane at the last instance to touch the base. Turner never even came close to being a legal runner in that play -- every step he made was at least 1-2 feet into fair territory.

11. Robert Crawford

Robert
    If the umpire didn’t make that call there wouldn’t have been any controversy, it’s that simple. It was that bad of a throw by the pitcher as Turner didn’t cause him to throw it that badly by his positioning on the base path.

Luckily for MLB, Rendon bailed out the umpires from having an umpire bad decision that would’ve been talked about for decades.

Jeffrey D, TonyD and MartinP. like this.
  12. MartinP.

Martin
    This picture tells the story:

[​IMG]

Trea Turner's foot is on the bag, then the ball hits him in the leg, Gurriel doesn't touch the ball, his glove gets knocked off next after he had no chance of catching it in the first place and the pitcher is rewarded for a bad throw.

Go Nats!

Robert Crawford likes this.
  13. Message #733 of 761 Oct 30, 2019
    David Norman

David Norman Producer

The ball was a close to a foot inside the foul line (about lined up with the inner part of the bag) when the runner knocked the glove off Gurriel's hand though. Would have been great if was directly at his body, but it was an easily catchable ball. Turner's left hip hit the tip/pocket of the first base mitt

I would bet a large amt of money that if they had not called interference, Hinch would have gone ballistic. Also if it was Bregman/Zimmerman involved.

It's a critical play with a fuzzy Judgement Call rule that was going to cause problems no matter which direction it goes. It happens in the regular season all the time and virtually every time I see that play no matter what the ump calls.

Fan Interference, Catcher Blocking the Plate (or not), runner out of baseline, Balks -- in a critical situation of a big game somebody is going to be complaining. Holbrook Infield Fly Rule in a playoff game.

I agree that the most important thing was that the call basically ended up meaningless and Gurriel wasn't hurt.

MartinP. likes this.
  14. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    Exactly
    @MartinP.
    It’s considered a judgement call but the problem is that many of these umps do not have good judgement.
    This is the World Series. Can’t make that call. Gotta let it play out.

Martinez was yelling just that at the home plate ump the other night after watching his players get rung up on pitches a foot high and wide off the plate.

MartinP. likes this.
  15. Message #735 of 761 Oct 30, 2019
    David Norman

David Norman Producer

Except that;s not exactly the sequence and that picture is incredibly bad angle. That is after Turner's contact with the glove and judging from the behind Home Plate looking directly up the 1B Line and from 1B dugout camera. Gurriels glove is 4-5 feet toward Home plate at that point and the ball is already 2 feet past the glove

Again irrelevant to the game outcome other than Martinez getting fined for getting ejected

16. David Norman

David Norman Producer

And the Baseball Gods are a funny bunch with that Eaton groundout to the catcher

17. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Well that was interesting -- always love things that never happened before.

Nats playing the best baseball at the end of the season and forced their way to the front of the bus.
    Wild card or not, they certainly outplayed everyone else on the field for months.

Playing in the NL East I guess I should dislike them, but I really don;t. I actually like the people on the team
    and love that Scherzer, Strasburg and Rendon now have a well deserved ring.

Osato likes this.
  18. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Well, the Nationals responded and congratulations to them as they really earned it by winning all four games on the road in a ballpark that has been a huge advantage to the Astros over the last several years. Furthermore, winning the final two games after being down 3-2 while losing the prior three games at home without much life offensively.

This WS will be remembered for decades as it is a first that each participant won only road games in a seven game series. A first in MLB, NFL and NHL.

19. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

While I would have preferred a different outcome, any season that ends with your team participating in a game 7 of the WS can't be labeled disappointing.

The Nationals showed a lot of resolve, and it was really a weird series with the road team winning all of the games. One of the key stats for the series is batting with RISP, with both teams going to sleep in their home stands in this particular stat.

Congrats to the Nationals for showing a lot of heart.

The Astros starting lineup should be pretty much intact for next year. I imagine some team (other than the Astros) is going to back a Brinks truck up to Gerritt Cole's house in the off season, so I don't expect him to be with the Astros next year. Most of the Astros free agents are Relief Pitchers so I expect some changes in that particular part of the club. I fully expect them to go deep into the playoffs again next year.

- Walter.

Osato likes this.
  20. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

Kevin Hewell
    Congrats to the Nats!!

Osato and bmasters9 like this.