1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

2019 MLB Season

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Patrick_S, Mar 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This is the 8th managerial change so somebody is hiring a manager that hasn't managed beforehand. It will be interesting to see how much these former managers hired again to manage will make in salary as teams have been hiring these new managers on the cheap lately.

Osato likes this.
  2. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    As long as the phillies don’t do it again

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    But, they might. I think Buck Showalter is a good candidate though with so many ex-Orioles executives running the Phillies now.

Osato likes this.
  4. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Pretty much and basically it rarely the major factor in a game, much less a 5 or 7 game series.
    Ex. A 2-1 baseball game with a bad ump call at the end the game allowing the winning run to score where you left 15 men on base and 5 men on 3rd base with 0 or 1 out.

The Non Pass Interference Call in the NFL playoffs last year was pretty close though

The generalization was more meant for those 'fans' whose team NEVER EVER lost a game because the other team was better, played better, every loss in their history was stolen from them. I grew in AL and am an Alum, but growing up in a house with 3 Auburn fans, 2 college roommates who graduated from Auburn, and quite a few Grad School friends -- one of the major gripes Auburn folks always had with a ton of AL fans was that AL never lost a game without something nefarious, every announcer on TV was biased against the team when they pointed out the obvious weaknesses, AL has never committed a penalty in the history of the program and never got the benefit of a bad call (i.e the Michael Jordan rule) , etc. ESPN, local TV reporters, and most especially Paul Finebaum esp got under their skin. It was an absolute fair assessment -- UNC and DUKE basketball fans are often the same way now that I've lived in this area for 30 years.

bmasters9 likes this.
  5. MartinP.

MartinP. Supporting Actor

Martin
    At least in the last couple months Roberts has been saying (and he's been adamant) that Jansen is our go to closer. Yes, he's had trouble this season, but he's still on the top list of MLB relievers this year despite that. What this said to me was that Roberts didn't have any confidence in Jansen. But how you could have confidence in Kelly after his year here with us and with the still mysterious ailment that kept him out of games most of September. Just from this season's observation of Kelly, if he starts to falter, take him out. He doesn't right the ship. Not this year he hasn't.

Also, I don't know if this has any bearing on things, but last year we got reliever Ryan Madson who has won two WS rings, one with Philadelphia and one with the Royals. This year we have Kelly who won last year with Boston. I'd rather put in Jansen who is hungry for a WS trip rather than players who could possibly have a "well at least I've won one" thought in their heads. Just sayin'.

We keep being told by people in certain quarters is that a number of his decisions (how many is it?) are directed by the front office here. It's heard enough that it must be true, but to what extent I don't know. The bottom line is Roberts is the manager and he'll be tagged with them.

I was actually surprised he came out last night and with three pitches got us out of that inning. Roberts must've thought he'd be on fire after that. BUT: All this season Kershaw has had his highest ERA in his first inning. So he basically was in his first inning when he came back out and on two pitches he allowed two home runs. We've seen him give up runners and runs in the first inning all season. So I thought Kenta Maeda would have been brought out then. He was great in his appearances this week. At that point we needed six outs.

Kershaw is a good guy, very generous, what it is about the post-season I don't know. Kershaw gave up back to back home runs in the 2017 play-offs, too. Something he's never done in a regular season game.

Some of our Dodger experts on the radio said we had what we needed in the bullpen, it was just not managed correctly.

I also have to look at A.J. Pollock who was great for us, but was cold in the play-offs. And Corey Seager always seemed to be in the way when chances for more runs or base runners appeared, striking out and hitting into double plays. We had Bellinger on second base with no outs...nada. Our lineup struck out almost 50% of the time in the playoffs.

There was a glimmer of hope for us Dodger fans when rookie catcher Will Smith hit that long ball that, according to more than one broadcaster, would've been a home run if hit earlier in the evening before it got dark when the balls hold up more.

So, yeah, this whole season Dodger fans from the start have just been waiting for the WS. The season didn't matter, let's just get through it. And unlike the year before when we struggled all season to get into 1st place and even had an extra game play-off to get there, and got to the WS again, we breezed through this season, winning a franchise best ever record of 106 games and were not in 1st place only SIX days the whole season. All reports indicate this loss was worse for the team and the fans more than the two World Series game losses and one of our regular radio broadcasters labeled it the worst loss comparable to the infamous division loss in 1951 with the "Giants win the pennant" game. And for the third straight year we see the opposing teams celebrating their victories on our field. The visitors clubhouse has seen more celebrations here than the home team. And I hate the opposing teams fans who don't just celebrate their victories, but rub it in as well. I was going to mention one thing that's done in particular, but I don't want to give it anymore attention than it deserves.

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    In the age of instant replay, umpires affecting anything would seem to be a thing of the past. I'm no expert on MLB replay, but from what I've seen watching games, it seems like everything relevant is reviewable except for balls/strikes? And, of course, any player/coach ejections.

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Still reeling from that historic first inning yesterday, at least changed the channel when the Cards' portion of the first inning came to a merciful close.

But, was oddly surprised, and then bummed to hear about the Nats making it to the next round, where the Braves had a decent record against them this season. Oh well.

Osato likes this.
  8. ponset

ponset Second Unit

scott
    Osato and MartinP. like this.
  9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

The ALCS match-up could be a 7-gamer.

Can't root for either of the 2 NLCS teams.

Bah.

Osato and Randy Korstick like this.
  10. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Suzanne.S and Osato like this.
  11. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Hmmm.

Work? Ball game?

I think ball game wins every time! :D

ponset and Osato like this.
  12. MartinP.

MartinP. Supporting Actor

Martin
    I can't root for either of the ALCS teams.

In the NLCS I can't root for the Cardinals, too many post-season bad memories with them.
    So, believe it or not, this traumatized Dodger fan will be rooting for the Washington Nationals the rest of the way.

I was wondering how the Dodgers would've fared against St. Louis. They are the only team that swept the Dodgers in a 4 game series, in St. Louis, this year. It was in April, though, if that means anything. The Dodgers swept them in a three game series in the second half in L.A.

Osato likes this.
  13. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Supporting Actor

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    Both series should be good. Hard to pick a winner in either of them (I do like the Astros and Nationals a little bit due the starting pitching they have).

14. Message #554 of 761 Oct 11, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    David Norman

David Norman Producer

I have a hard time hating this group of Yankees, but out of sheer stubbornness I will continue to hope they collapse.

Astros I like their team from a baseball standpoint, but they have as odd streaky tendency that I don't really understand. How this team offense can go into hiding for a week or two is baffling.

I should dislike the Nats, but I don't, but I just don't think the offense is as complete as the AL teams though the SP can always be a game changer. I can't root for a wild card team so by default -- they're no on my list

Cards on paper are the worst team overall, but I have a soft spot for the ex Brave Wainwright and I'd love to see Molina get another ring. And it's always hard to bet against the Cards in the Postseason.

I did find it interesting to see how the Detroit Tigers figure in all this
    Verlander and Scherzer were together 2010-2014
    Verlander and Sanchez 2012 - 2017
    All 3 were together 2012-2013-2014

The 2014 Tigers main SP rotation
    Verlander
    Scherzer
    Sanchez
    Rick Porcello
    David Price

15. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

Kevin Hewell
    LOL! Ain't that the truth.

16. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    Incredible what Sanchez and Scherzer did to the Cardinals lineup. This looks to be a short series.

MartinP. and Osato like this.
  17. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Nats are administering one of the most impressive beatdowns I've ever seen. 2 cheap runs given up in 3 games to a team that scored 10 in one inning

Gotta hope the Astros at least make th ALCS interesting, but man watching a Yankees gave is ulcer inducing knowing that every member of the lineup can blast on any given pitch.

MartinP. and Osato like this.
  18. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    The carnage continues tonight. We haven’t seen a team go into the toilet as badly as the Cardinals for a long time, if ever.

Osato likes this.
  19. David Norman

David Norman Producer

2007 Rockies in the World Series was pretty close, but Rockies had at least a chance to win 3 of those 4 and at least held a lead for a few innings.

Probably about as bad.
    2012 SF vs Detroit WS.

SF up 8-1 in G1 then Detroit got 2 meaningless runs in the 9th on a HR,
    Lost 2-0 in G2 and G3.
    They had 2 doubles and that meaningless single HR in the first 3.5 games
    Finally G4 3-3 in the 10th and SF scored a run in the Top 10th to win. A 2 run HR in the 3rd to take 2-1 lead and solo HR in the 6th to tie the game in the 6th. 3 weeks singles otherwise

Detroit led a total of 3 innings out of 37 which St Louis never did
    Detroit 6runs, 20H in 4 games. 169/243/242
    And this team had Verlander, Scherzer, Anibal Sanchez, and Rick Porcello as starting Pitchers

Nowhere near the destruction and far more pitcher friendly time, but one of my favorite series to read about was the 1966 World Series where the highly favored Dodgers (WS 1963 and 1965) with Koufax, Drysdale got dominated by the Orioles 4-0 (5-2, 6-0, 1-0, 1-0)
    For the series Baltimore 13 Runs -- Dodgers 2

The O's scored 3 in the of the 1st of G1 and another solo in the 2nd. The Dodgers scored solo runs in inning 2 and 3 of game 1, but then were shut out 33 innings in a row. The Dodgers were behind the entire series. On top of that they were a great defensive team, but made 6 errors in G2 to lose 6-0.

Baltimore used 5 pitchers (4 players) in the entire series. 4 Starters (McNally in G1 and 4), Three complete game shutouts in G2/3/4, Mcnally started and pitched 2.1 in G1 with 5BB and 2hits giving up boht runs, then a relief pitcher came in to pitch 6.2 ip of scoreless baseball.

How many teams in this postseason have used 4-5 pitchers in an inning?

20. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    Yes that 2012 Tigers team getting blown out was a surprise- the talk was the Giants May as well have forfeited game 1 because Verlander was pitching, then the Giants lit him up in that game.

The 1966 Orioles clobbering the Dodgers is another good one.

I think the 2004 Red Sox never trailed in that World Series. I don’t remember if that was considered an upset, after what the Sox pulled off in the ALCS though.