What's new

2019 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Brewers clinch the last playoff spot with a win in Cincinnati. The Cubs are out- they’ve lost 8
straight. Big changes coming at Wrigley. Most of us thought the World Series win in 2016 was only the beginning of a dynasty, and what happened was just the opposite- they’ve regressed and eroded. They’ve played a lot of bad baseball this year.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Wow just when we thought the NL central was over it gets interesting again. With the Cardinals finally hitting a skid and losing their last 2 games to the Diamondbacks and the win for the Brewers today the Brewers are now just 1 game behind the Cardinals. So maybe the Braves won't be playing the Cards in the 1st round. Should be an interesting weekend.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Not sure what the Cubs fans should expect for this final series- will they try to screw up the Cardinals plans, or will they just make the flight, and make early exit plans? The way the Cubs have played lately, unfortunately I think it will be the latter.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Not sure what the Cubs fans should expect for this final series- will they try to screw up the Cardinals plans, or will they just make the flight, and make early exit plans? The way the Cubs have played lately, unfortunately I think it will be the latter.
I think the Cubs team would like nothing better than to spoil the Cardinals Division plans. One of the biggest rivalries in baseball. It would make a very disappointing season a little less painful. Now whether they can do it or not remains to be seen but I am sure it will be all hands on deck for the Cubs this weekend.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Oh great, watch the Braves have to play the Brewers, the hottest team in MLB at the moment (17-2 for their last 19 games) in the first round if they sweep the Cards... Sigh...

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I think the Cubs team would like nothing better than to spoil the Cardinals Division plans. One of the biggest rivalries in baseball. It would make a very disappointing season a little less painful. Now whether they can do it or not remains to be seen but I am sure it will be all hands on deck for the Cubs this weekend.
For the sake of Cubs fans, and the integrity of the game, I hope you’re right.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Oh great, watch the Braves have to play the Brewers, the hottest team in MLB at the moment (17-2 for their last 19 games) in the first round if they sweep the Cards... Sigh...
Need to have a little more faith in your team. I know as a Braves fan we have had far, far to many disappointments but there are no easy match ups in post season. Even the ones that look easy on paper don't always work out that way. Just have to stay positive and think the Braves are overdue for something to go their way in post season.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
As a Cubs fan, I have two thought for the rest of the season:
Rest the ‘walking wounded’. It made sense to have injured players while trying to keep playoff hopes alive, but now let them heal
Have Castellanos more doubles (ten away from the record, three from the ‘modern era’ record)

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
My Braves are limping to the finish line with injuries as well, and get stuck playing probably the hottest team down the stretch, the Cardinals. Sigh...

Oh great, watch the Braves have to play the Brewers, the hottest team in MLB at the moment (17-2 for their last 19 games) in the first round if they (Cubs) sweep the Cards... Sigh...

Heh!!!

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

i.e. it doesn't matter -- it's October and time to go home just like the last 10 times.

Boston Braves won one WS
Milwaukee Braves won one WS
Atlanta Braves won one WS
I see a pattern

Cit of Atlanta -- all male major Professional Sports won one championship.

NFL - 0-53 (0-2 Super Bowls)
NBA - 0-52 (no NBA Finals)
NHL - 0-20 (No Stanley Cup Finals)
MLB - 1-52 (pending the next loss) 1W-4L in World Series

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I was thinking of the Big 4 (US usual) though I did look up MLS
I'm not sure MLS qualifies as a Major Pro Sport yet-- the Lake Champlain of the Great Lakes.

Even using NHL as the lowest of the 4 classic major sports since it usually ranks 4th among the Big 4.
Total attendance was 1/3 of the NHL, average TV audience was less than half, and average team revenue 20% of the NHL, average player salary is 10% of NHL, average team valuation 40-50% of the NHL

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I ain't proud, I'll take the MLS crown from 2018 with the Atlanta United team, especially after that Super Bowl debacle a few years ago....

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I ain't proud, I'll take the MLS crown from 2018 with the Atlanta United team, especially after that Super Bowl debacle a few years ago....
Yes the Atlanta sports fans will never forget or never get over the Falcons choke until they win a ring, then the pain of that game will be reduced
(much like the situation in Boston, and the 1986 Red Sox choke).

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
How about Rangers starter Mike Minor, and his ruthlessness of wanting 200 strikeouts? A cheap way to get that number, and a bit of a black eye to the ingetrity of the game. Nobody should be proud of what happened yesterday.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
How about Rangers starter Mike Minor, and his ruthlessness of wanting 200 strikeouts? A cheap way to get that number, and a bit of a black eye to the ingetrity of the game. Nobody should be proud of what happened yesterday.

The Red Sox were providing shenanigans of their own. Purposely hitting first pitches for outs in the 8th. It's not as b&w as you make it out. It is what it is...
https://www.mlb.com/news/mike-minor-rangers-200-strikeouts?partnerId=ed-14477308-1169223203

i.e. it doesn't matter -- it's October and time to go home just like the last 10 times.

Atlanta Braves MLB - 1-52 (pending the next loss) 1W-4L in World Series

I was going to say don't be so hard on yourself, but as a Dodger fan the last 30 years I am beginning to understand you.

I keep asking some others, would you rather get to the play-offs every year and into the World Series twice in a row and lose, or not get there at all year after year. Those who say they'd rather get there and lose than not at all, say that because they aren't invested in those teams, if it was their team they'd be hesitant to say that. We all basically want our teams to win it all.

I'm sure most of you don't want to see the Dodgers AGAIN in the World Series as well. But most people don't want to see the Yankees ever in the WS again, LOL. They went to the WS 4 times in a row from 1999-2001. They played 4 different teams and won 3 of those, losing the 4th to Arizona in 2001.

The Yankees went to the World Series three years in a row in 1976-77-78. They lost in '76 to the Reds. They won in 77-78, winning against the Dodgers, who went in two consecutive years.

Since 2000, no MLB team has repeated as WS winner in consecutive years, though the Yankees and Cardinals have won twice, the Giants have won three times and the Red Sox four times!

In that time the Phillies, Rangers, Royals and Dodgers have made consecutive appearances, with the Phillies and Royals winning one and the Rangers and Dodgers losing both.

Let's go Dodgers!

Last edited:

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I keep asking some others, would you rather get to the play-offs every year and into the World Series twice in a row and lose, or not get there at all year after year. Those who say they'd rather get there and lose than not at all, say that because they aren't invested in those teams, if it was their team they'd be hesitant to say that. We all basically want our teams to win it all.
As a Mariners fan, I’d be content with making the playoffs at least once a decade. Just finishing up 18 seasons in a row without a post season! :P

Haven’t even made it to the world series in 40-some years. Kill me now!

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The Red Sox were providing shenanigans of their own. Purposely hitting first pitches for outs in the 8th. It's not as b&w as you make it out. It is what it is...
https://www.mlb.com/news/mike-minor-rangers-200-strikeouts?partnerId=ed-14477308-1169223203
Yes I heard about that. The Sox must have gotten wind of what Minor wanted, and were
actively trying to prevent it. The dropped foul pop up just looks and smells bad.

I was going to say don't be so hard on yourself, but as a Dodger fan the last 30 years I am beginning to understand you.

I'm sure most of you don't want to see the Dodgers AGAIN in the World Series as well. But most people don't want to see the Yankees ever in the WS again, LOL. They went to the WS 4 times in a row from 1999-2001. They played 4 different teams and won 3 of those, losing the 4th to Arizona in 2001.

The Yankees went to the World Series three years in a row in 1976-77-78. They lost in '76 to the Reds. They won in 77-78, winning against the Dodgers, who went in two consecutive years.

Since 2000, no MLB team has repeated as WS winner in consecutive years, though the Yankees and Cardinals have won twice, the Giants have won three times and the Red Sox four times!

In that time the Phillies, Rangers, Royals and Dodgers have made consecutive appearances, with the Phillies and Royals winning one and the Rangers and Dodgers losing both.

Let's go Dodgers!

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The Sox must have gotten wind of what Minor wanted, and were actively trying to prevent it. The foul pop up that wasn’t caught just makes this whole thing look and smell bad.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I made that argument in the 90 and then into the 2000's, but somewhere I stopped believing it Given that playoff teams are supposed to be relatively matched talent-wise and the playoff crapshoot/coin toss should make losing 12 out of 13 and 10 series in a row just about impossible if there isn't something inherently wrong in the system.

Losing in 1991 didn't hurt too much -- they got there and played in the greatest Series ever IMO. Plus, living with the 1970-1980 era atrocities made #2 not too bad and most of the team were babies.

1992 -- just got beat by a better team and the Sid Bream G7 NLCS eased a bit of the pain. I was still on a high by the time the WS was over -- it took me months to quit smiling reliving that NLCS.

1993 -- exhausted by trying to make it at all, but at least I wasn't a Giants fan going home with 103 wins Hell, the months of Aug and Sept may have been the best Alydar/Affirmed divisional do or die race to the the playoffs ever. I certainly can't remember another race quite like it.

1995 -- WS title even if a bit tainted by the shortened season
1996 -- possibly the best Braves team ever just flat choked and laid down in the middle of G4 with the series almost locked up
1997 -- gave it sway, but Miami played better and Eric Gregg only affected one game.
1998 -- 2nd best Braves team in history (some think it was the best all around team) again rolls over and losing to a far inferior team
1999 -- just not a very good team. Yankees wiped the floor with them as they deserved. The Mets should have put them out in the NLCS honestly

2000 and 2001 were better teams than the 1999 tema, but by then it was obvious that something seemed to have been sucked out of them in that 1996 WS
I was mostly happy playing great Baseball and falling short though starting to feel something was wrong -- and that was especially felt after the Marlins won their 2nd title. 2 WS titles in 7 years bookended by 5 out of it by the All Star game seasons in between - which was worse?

Somewhere around 2001 even that just got old. Just making it to get embarrassed in October changed my Baseball soul.
2002/2003/2004/2005/2010/2012/2013/2018 -- same old same old. - yeah they got some bad calls (Infield fly rule, HRs that weren't, not so close Denkinger level plays), but for the most part it was just roll over

I really started to understand the Giants and Dodgers fans from 1945-1965 era.
If i never hear "Just Gotta tip your cap" from Cox/Gonzalez/Snitker clones in interview again, I'll be happy.

Yes, I'm a bitter and beaten old fool of a Baseball fan. Luckily I love baseball and don't have to have a rooting or betting interest to get excited about the playoffs and WS.

Luckily and more importantly, my alma mater's College Football has fared a bit better over the last 11 years or last 50 years depending on how you want to count..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.