1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

2019 MLB Season

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Patrick_S, Mar 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. MartinP.

MartinP. Supporting Actor

Martin
    Statistics say it doesn't matter that much if you look at the outcomes of who wins the play-off series and WS, but
    the Dodgers are playing really well at home this year. They need to play for home field advantage. Atlanta is
    uncomfortably close for the National League record and we're 1 0r 2 behind the Astros and Yankees depending
    on what's happening today.
    _______

Sorry to hear about Christian Yellich.

Tony Bensley and Osato like this.
  2. MartinP.

Martin
    A couple other crazy things from this week:

f you look at the statistics for MLB games from September 6, you'll find that MLB player Nicholas Castellanos hit a home run against the Brewers and also hit one against the Oakland A's. How is that possible?
    https://www.mlb.com/news/nicholas-castellanos-homers-2-games-1-night
    ___

The Seattle Mariners won their first Division championship in 1995.
    From 1995 - 2019, after winning Tuesday night's game, their W-L record is 1995 - 2019!
    ___

Last night: The Orioles, the team who has given up the most home runs in baseball this year is the team that hit the MLB home run setting record.

When Jonathan Villar (Orioles) took Caleb Ferguson (Dodgers) deep at 9:15 p.m. ET on Wednesday night at Oriole Park at Camden Yards, baseball history was made. The blast was the 6,106th home run hit in MLB this season, surpassing the previous record of 6,105, set in 2017. These are the only two seasons in history with at least 6,000 home runs hit. After the Orioles' victory, Villar was told of the record and of the Baseball Hall of Fame's request for the bat that hit it. "That's not everyday that happens, that only happens one time," he said. "I feel excited because that's very important, not only for me but for the team. My bat is going to the Hall of Fame. ... I am going to have that my whole career. That's unbelievable!"

Glad we could help out. :rolleyes:

I guess I could add:
    Score on Tuesday's ball game: Dodgers 7 - Orioles 3.
    Score on the Wednesday game: Dodgers 3 - Orioles 7.

3. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Supporting Actor

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    I think it shows Castellanos hitting HRs for 2 different clubs on the same day because the Tigers and A’s resumed a suspended game in Oakland, and he was with the Tigers when that game was started. Strange.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Freaking Yankees won a DH today, but have sent back three players to New York for medical tests due to injuries. Edwin Encarnacion, Gary Sanchez and JA Happ all got hurt today. Even with their tremendous winning record, the number of injuries has taken its toll on my enjoyment of this baseball season. Sustaining Injuries is one thing, but when they keep happening from spring training to the end of the regular season with no let up in sight, I think its a sign of bad karma and I don't think the Yankees win the WS this season. I know the playoffs are a crap shoot so we'll see what happens, but damn, I'm not feeling very confident right now because they can't stay healthy for even a two week period.

5. Osato

Osato Producer

Injuries are the worst.

Mets seem to be dealt these huge blows with losses and seem to just keep bouncing back. Here come the Dodgers this weekend! Let’s go Mets!

Tony Bensley likes this.
  6. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    Crazy game at Wrigley today, especially the bottom of the 5th. Rizzo and Castellanos struck out, so 2 out, nobody on. Easy inning for the Pirates pitcher, right? Bryant hits a slow roller to SS Newman, and Bryant is called out. Maddon challenges, and the call was overturned, so Bryant is on 1B. This opened the floodgates- the next 8 Cubs hitters reach base, and 7 runs score.

MartinP., questrider and Osato like this.
  7. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    Tough loss for the Indians this afternoon- Clevinger vs. the opener. Clevinger 8 innings,
    2 runs, 10 strikeouts, 1 walk, 112 pitches. He sure did his job, but the Indians lineup came up short. Highly doubtful they can overtake the Twins to win the AL Central now- the Twins have a ridiculously easy schedule after this series- the Indians needed to sweep this series.

Osato likes this.
  8. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Just watching some replays today of bad stuff that happens to athletes

Charlie Culberson gets hit in the face trying to bunt -- he seeed like he was going to be OK, but really ugly and seemingly inadvertent HBP (Strike on Bunt attempt according to the Umpires of course)

David Bode getting all pissy getting HBP in helmet on a ball that's knee high hanging slow curve that was probably no more than 4 inches inside, If he stands still or backs up at all it missing his knees completely and I saw at least 2 worse inside pitches today actually called strikes and another one hit for a HR. I'm really sorry you got hit, but ducking down and forward into the strike zone and then getting hit is your fault, not the pitchers and I've seen umpires refuse to let players take a base on less obvious HBP. I hope he comes out and apologizes to the pitcher who threw the pitch.

Another Joe Theisman/Alex Smith (Greg Olson, Buster Posey) moment in tonight FLA/KY College Football game -- I'm sorry, but I can't watch these replays anymore. It's just painful to think about.

9. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Looks like Culberson has a fractured cheek bone.

10. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David

Except that this was the same pitcher who hit Bote on the helmet in July.

And yesterday’s pitch was a curve, that appeared to be heading for his head, so he ducked, not knowing that the ball would also drop down. So it was bad luck that trying to avoid caused the HBP.

I’d say two helmet hits (third HBP in the game) was justification for ‘pissy’

11. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Understood about being hit before and even the pitchers horrible control this game, but you don't duck forward into the plate to get away from the pitch. It's not taught that way in Little League, HS, College, Minors, or majors - never/ever duck forward into the plate. Getting hit in the head on a knee high pitch that's barely touching the inner line of the batters box -- it's was a few inches from actually being a strike according to the electronic box

Getting fooled by a curve ball is not the pitchers fault regardless of the prior history b/w the two. If he wants to charge the mound about his teammates or the previous game then go for it, but don't go out of your way to get hit (intentionally or by bad technique) to make an excuse for it.

12. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Hadn't read that, but really too bad.

Weird thing -- the announcers have been joking about the uncanny resemblance b/w Dansby and Culberson for a couple years and how often they are mistaken for each other. There was even a Morphed Bobble Head early in the season -- half Swanson/half Culberson (the Swanberson).

Dansby was hit in the face on his first AB in the Minors during a simulated game by his own teammate on the left side -- concussion and several stitches. Now Culberson has a fractured Right side.

Osato likes this.
  13. MartinP.

Martin
    I liked Charlie Cullberson when he was with us (Dodgers) during the 2017 Post Season. Seemed like a nice guy and he must be as I noticed today he's the Braves nominee for the Roberto Clemente Award this year.

Osato likes this.
  14. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

Kevin Hewell

15. Osato

Osato Producer

Sad Mets!!!

16. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    Looks like only the Brewers can catch the Cubs for the 2nd wild card now- the Diamondbacks, Phils and Mets have dropped out of the race
    (the Phils were never good enough to stay in it to the end anyway- the pitching couldn’t sustain any real winning streaks).

17. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I'm not so sure the Nationals might not get knocked out of the 1st Wild Card. The same applies to the Cardinals for the Central division. It's going to be wild ride those last 12 games or so.

Osato, MartinP. and Randy Korstick like this.
  18. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    Yes the 7 head-to-head games between the Cubs and Cardinals should be great (4 at Wrigley starting Thursday, then 3 at Busch to end the regular season).

Randy Korstick likes this.
  19. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Agreed. Its going to be a wild finish. Impossible to call the NL central winner or NL wild card teams now. The Nationals schedule that I mentioned before is getting to them I think. They had Braves, Twins, Braves and now Cardinals. They get the Marlins this weekend but then its 5 in 4 days with the Phils and then 3 with the Indians. Also this Thursday is their final day off for the season. The Cubs and especially the Brewers have easier schedules. Should be fun to see how it plays out.

20. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Too late to trade for anything of value as Vaaquez just got arrested for child solicitation. What a scumbag. His career is in jeopardy and rightfully so.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/09/felipe-vazquez-arrested-charged-in-florida.html