What's new

2019 MLB Season (2 Viewers)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
What’s the issue between Machado and the umps? Why was Manny suspended?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
He bumped an ump while arguing a strike.
Re is a post on fb from the ump union coming paining about the one game suspension and complaints using Machado’s name specifically.

The umps are once agAin out of control.
I don’t understand why Mlb allowed them to get so powerful again since the time they fired a group of them.

The umps shouldn’t have nearly as much power.

I don’t think they should have the ability to remove a player from the game just for arguing.
Aplayer shoildnt be removed for anything less then touching an ump or another player.

Umpires don’t have to answer to anyone for their mistakes.
Players and coaches aren’t allowed to call out umps during or even after games yet this group just called out a player buy name.

There’s a good article on The Athletic, which is not free to read, right now.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm just the opposite. I think the umps put up with way more than they should. They should be tossing players left and right for arguing. Until MLB is ready to let computers make the calls, the umps are just doing their thankless jobs and should be untouchable, IMO. Any argument should be an automatic ejection. Has any play ever been overturned due to an argument? It's pointless and bad sportsmanship.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Watched the amazin Mets lose to the powerhouse Braves this evening. Braves are on white red hot right now!!

They should cruise to the division title as the rest of the division is pretty hapless.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Baseball is the only sport where players aren’t allowed to question anything the umps do.
And the umps do plenty that should be questioned.

Officials can’t be allowed to get away with a vendetta against a player the way they have with Machado.

These guys are missing calls at an alarming rate the last few years.
They are out of position to make calls and make the wrong call because of it.

When you see an ump call a pitch that is clearly a foot off the plate a strike then the player should be able to question it.

If players are allowed to question umps there ,ight be less of the crazier events that lead to players getting tossed.

The frustration wouldn’t be as pent up.

As it is it becomes the Ump show.
Not what people are there to see.

Last week an ump tossed a pitcher in the first inning after he hit a batter.

The batter who deserved to be tossed came to the mound and started a full everyone on the field riot.

The pitcher didn’t do anything.
Tossed in the first and that team’s entire pitching staff was screwed because of that ump.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't agree with Tony, but I don't quite agree with Malcolm either regarding automatic ejections. I'm more in the middle regarding umpires. I do think they need to get the strike calling computerized so we can have some consistency with the strike zone.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
My take on umpires- they definitely aren’t as good as they used to be (I don’t know if any current umps can hold a candle to Doug Harvey and Bruce Froeming). The percentage of overturned calls tells me the umps need to improve.
Angel Hernandez and Joe West are prime examples of difficult for the sake of being difficult- they want to be the show, and their going to be a pain in the arse.
Machado was wrong in touching the ump, so his suspension is warranted, but the posts to social media by the umps are wrong too- this stuff should be discussed behind closed doors.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
CE66BFB3-D6FC-4DBC-99E1-F571895C0194.jpeg
Guess what the pitch was called in this picture.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
After this outburst with a beat writer, I expect Mickey Callaway to be put out of his misery as the Met manager in the very near future. With that said, the problem with the Mets runs much deeper than that. The worst thing for any sports fan is to have endure horrible ownership and that's the case for Met fans.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I wonder how secure Kapler is as the Phils manager- unacceptable 6 game losing streak
to inferior division teams.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeh. It’s 7 games.

I think they need to continue this collapse for another week before he would be fired.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the hittingcoach and or the pitching coach got canned first.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I didn’t care for the decision to pull Velasquez in Saturday’s game after 5 innings and just 57 pitches. I thought finally Vince is efficient with his pitches, and since he hasn’t been a starter in a few weeks, he wasn’t “stretched out” to throw a starter’s share of pitches- silly stuff of today’s baseball.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Joe West is a prime expample tonight for why umpires shouldn’t be allowed to toss players or managers unless there’s contact to an ump or player.
Once Again West makes it the JoeWest show.
Kingery hit by pitch and west immediately warns both benches.
Kapler comes out to ask why the warnings and West tosses him right out of the game.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Mets bullpen is awful. eRA over 5.

I would think the Mets will be sellers this year.

They have several key players injured again this season. It has been another puzzling year.

I’m going to see them play in Minneapolis in July. I haven’t followed the Twins but I know they are playing well and have what appears to be a solid team.

I’m hoping that I’ll hit the schedule right to see DeGrom pitch for the Mets too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.