What's new

2019 LG OLED Pixelating (1 Viewer)

Denise Little

Auditioning
Real Name
Denise Little
I just bought a 55" LG oled55c9aua fro Sam's Club for $1600.I changed cable companies so I have new cables. I bought a Netgear Nighthawk x6S AC4000 wi fi router for $250. I also purchased an Arris SB8200 Cable Modem for $180. They all sit within 3 feet of each other. I even bought a new cat6 ethernet cord. Pixelating occurs every minute!!! Suggestions????? Frustrated Denise in Arkansas.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I'm assuming this is when using streaming apps on your TV? Can you confirm that you are using a wired connection between your TV and the netgear router and that wi-fi is turned off on your TV? Does "regular' TV (cable/sat) look fine? Is there a lot of other network activity happening at the same time in the house?

Denise Little

Auditioning
Real Name
Denise Little
The pixelating is with Cable, not internet. I am wired from TV to CAble Modem, then to router. New everything! Everything sits within 3 feet of each other. Thanks for help!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It seems fairly clear this has nothing to do with your internet or WiFi. It sounds like a problem solely with your cable TV service. Expect the cable company to blame it on everything but themselves.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I know this sounds obvious but are you sure that your cable box is set to output HD instead of SD? I only bring it up because my neighbor got a new LG 55" last weekend and called me up to tell me his cable looked horrible on the new TV and since he knew I was a media enthusiast asked if I would come over to troubleshoot. I went over and his cable box was outputting everything in SD and once I changed it to HD everything looked great. I guess on his old 40" 1080p TV the SD signal looked good enough to him but now on a 55" 2160p TV it looked like garbage. I still have to shake my head a little bit that for years he's been paying the cable company an additional fee for HD and didn't even notice he wasn't using it.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I know this sounds obvious but are you sure that your cable box is set to output HD instead of SD? I only bring it up because my neighbor got a new LG 55" last weekend and called me up to tell me his cable looked horrible on the new TV and since he knew I was a media enthusiast asked if I would come over to troubleshoot. I went over and his cable box was outputting everything in SD and once I changed it to HD everything looked great. I guess on his old 40" 1080p TV the SD signal looked good enough to him but now on a 55" 2160p TV it looked like garbage. I still have to shake my head a little bit that for years he's been paying the cable company an additional fee for HD and didn't even notice he wasn't using it.
Very likely, but even HD cable looks like hot garbage most of the time these days. I'd try a netflix stream or a Blu-ray and see how they look. That would put the blame squarely on the cable box, and cableco - likely some combination of the two.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Very likely, but even HD cable looks like hot garbage most of the time these days. I'd try a netflix stream or a Blu-ray and see how they look. That would put the blame squarely on the cable box, and cableco - likely some combination of the two.
That's the truth. I haven't had cable for over 15 years, so I forget about that. I use OTA and streaming, which are both far less susceptible to those problems. When I go to my folks', I'm surprised how bad the image is. When I watch OTA, I'm surprised how good the image is.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's one of the reasons why I won't go cable. If I switch from DirecTV, it will be streaming only.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

Good call!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I switched from DirecTV to OTA (with Amazon Firecast DVR) and streaming. Very happy.
I spent about $250 on long range antennas about 15 years ago. I can't even calculate how much I've saved since then. Possibly more than I have spent total in that time on movies and A/V equipment.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian

That's the truth. I haven't had cable for over 15 years, so I forget about that. I use OTA and streaming, which are both far less susceptible to those problems. When I go to my folks', I'm surprised how bad the image is. When I watch OTA, I'm surprised how good the image is.

It's one of the reasons why I won't go cable. If I switch from DirecTV, it will be streaming only.

I switched from DirecTV to OTA (with Amazon Firecast DVR) and streaming. Very happy.

I'm a sports nut which is why I'm still with DirecTV.

I've had DirecTV since the late 90s (started with PrimeStar until they were bought by DirecTV) mainly because I was so dissatisfied with cable throughout the 80s and early 90s. Having satellite service all these years has spoiled me and like others in this thread I'm also amazed at how bad cable looks when I'm at other people's homes. I don't know what the bandwidth specs are for DirecTV's Mbps-equivalent but it has always impressed me over the years that it's still the best "cable" service on the market as far as picture quality. And I would contemplate going OTA and streaming only but I live out in the boonies so I'd need an outdoor antenna on a tall mast pole to pick up the signals out of Chicago (I'm spoiled by the major market networks) and, like Robert, I watch a lot of sports so it's still the most viable choice for me.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
The pixelating is with Cable, not internet. I am wired from TV to CAble Modem, then to router. New everything! Everything sits within 3 feet of each other. Thanks for help!

Is this really how it's wired? It should be wired- Cable to modem, Cat6 from modem to router and then Cat6 from router to TV. The SB8200 has two ethernet ports but you should only be using one of them. Everything hard wired needs to come from the router for proper IP addressing.

Brian

Denise Little

Auditioning
Real Name
Denise Little

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I've had DirecTV since the late 90s (started with PrimeStar until they were bought by DirecTV) mainly because I was so dissatisfied with cable throughout the 80s and early 90s. Having satellite service all these years has spoiled me and like others in this thread I'm also amazed at how bad cable looks when I'm at other people's homes. I don't know what the bandwidth specs are for DirecTV's Mbps-equivalent but it has always impressed me over the years that it's still the best "cable" service on the market as far as picture quality. And I would contemplate going OTA and streaming only but I live out in the boonies so I'd need an outdoor antenna on a tall mast pole to pick up the signals out of Chicago (I'm spoiled by the major market networks) and, like Robert, I watch a lot of sports so it's still the most viable choice for me.
When DirecTV began offering local channels in HD, they were the first to begin using MPEG-4 compression (transcoding the broadcaster's MPEG-2) to be able to squeeze more channels on to their satellites, use less disk storage on their DVRs, and provide a more efficient compression codec. At the time, most cable providers were still re-compressing the broadcaster's MPEG-2 signal using the same MPEG-2 codec, yielding a picture that often showed compression artifacts. Many cable companies, unfortunately, still do that. Our local Spectrum engineer told me that until just a year ago, most of the so-called HD channels we were receiving in my little town over Spectrum were nothing more than 1080i upconverts from SD until they were able to afford the cost to replace equipment at our head end. Kind of pathetic, but at the time all they offered in town was TV service. Now that they replaced that equipment, they offer phone service (a steal at $10/month) and up to 960 Mbps internet service. Unfortunately, their TV service still sucks in that they are still using those crappy 500 Gb Motorola DVR boxes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks