What's new

2019 At The Box Office (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I saw Ford v. Ferrari this afternoon in the premium Cinemark XD room. It was very sparsely attended -- definitely less than 20 people there overall, just a few different clusters of people and me by myself -- and no one but me was particularly reactive to the film. Although it was also playing on two regular-priced screens, so maybe people were going to those and not paying the upcharge. I thought it was great and was glad to see it on a large screen with great sound, so I consider that money well spent.

Then after that I went to see The Good Liar, which was tucked away in one of the smaller auditoriums. That one was much more crowded, with the risers behind me appearing mostly full and only the first few rows in front of the wheelchair-accessible row being unoccupied. This surprised me because if you just took my experiences today as an indicative sample, it would give the incorrect impression that Good Liar was doing much better than it actually is and that Ford is struggling. Of course, The Good Liar is only on one screen in the multiplex compared to three for Ford v. Ferrari, which spread out the latter's business, but still, that doesn't explain how a movie that opened in eighth place was very crowded here.

I really, really wanted to like that movie, because I like Bill Condon as a director, I like many previous things by Jeffrey Hatcher who wrote it, and of course I love Ian McKellen and Helen Mirren who are always good. But the story just got more and more ridiculous, piling on absurdities until it just completely went off the rails collapsed in on itself in the end. I don't usually bear films any ill will, especially those made by people whose work I enjoy, but I've got to say that this is one dud that Warner Bros. deserves because the film just isn't very good. It's not the worst film of the year or anything, but it's one of the most disappointing because I have such respect for everybody involved in it and have liked so much of their previous work both together and separately that I expected more from this one than they delivered. However, based on comments I overheard while I was watching the credits and everyone else was on their way out, it seems like the rest of the crowd liked it more than I did. Also, I'm pretty sure I was the only one there for Good Liar who didn't get the senior discount price.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Quick opinion question:

Let’s say I have two to three hours tonight free that I didn’t expect to have and that based on timing I could either see Doctor Sleep or Ford V Farari. I don’t know about it care about cars at all. I’m not a big horror guy but I happen to have an exception for King books and Kubrick movies.

Which should I see?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don’t know about it care about cars at all.

I bet I know less about cars than you do since I've never even driven one and I thought Ford v. Ferrari was fantastic. Don't let your lack of interest in cars be a barrier to entry for seeing that film if you're interested in it because I promise you will be able to follow the story with or without car knowledge. I think you liked Logan if I recall correctly, and James Mangold has made another terrific film in Ford v. Ferrari. It's not like Logan in terms of the story, but he was equally skilled in making this one.

I can't help you on Doctor Sleep since as you know I stay away from horror films. However, if you're interested in seeing both, though, I might err on the side of Doctor Sleep for tonight. Ford v. Ferrari is doing really well and had an A+ Cinemascore and there's Oscar talk around it. That will ensure that it sticks around for a while. As you know, Doctor Sleep launched poorly and then fell out of the top five last weekend with a big drop. So it seems safe to assume that Doctor Sleep will leave theaters before Ford v. Ferrari does. So you might be able to do Ford later some other time that you have a few hours free. Doctor Sleep could be gone by then, especially if it's a rare occurrence for you to have time free.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I saw Doctor Sleep. I expected very little from it, and yet felt I got so very much. Thank you.
I'm not a big horror film fan, especially modern horror films that tries to display different ways to gross you out, so I'm going to pass on Doctor Sleep and will see it on home video.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Robert, it’s worth seeing at least once although I think you’ll be just fine with a nice streaming rental or whatever, particularly since you’ve got a great TV and great sound. The movie was more of a character study than a horror movie, and I found the characters to be more rewarding than the plot. I think writer/director/editor Mike Flanagan was actually able to improve on King’s sequel novel with some smart choices.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert, it’s worth seeing at least once although I think you’ll be just fine with a nice streaming rental or whatever, particularly since you’ve got a great TV and great sound. The movie was more of a character study than a horror movie, and I found the characters to be more rewarding than the plot. I think writer/director/editor Mike Flanagan was actually able to improve on King’s sequel novel with some smart choices.
I've never read a King novel in my life. I'm not a big reader of fiction. I can wait until it's on iTunes.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a big horror film fan, especially modern horror films that tries to display different ways to gross you out, so I'm going to pass on Doctor Sleep and will see it on home video.
Doctor Sleep is the furthest thing from "modern horror films that tries to display different ways to gross you out".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks