1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

2019 At The Box Office

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Tino, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Some interesting info I found on the movie stock exchange. It’s a few years old but still makes some valid points.

As The Hollywood Reporter points out, yes, advertising a movie is expensive:

Indeed, with the exception of in China, Hollywood continues to wrestle with rising marketing costs, particularly overseas, which can make up 70 percent of a film's gross thanks to booming markets in Russia, Latin America and Asia. Two years ago, the cost had crept up to $175 million globally. Now, studios say it has hit the $200 million mark per picture -- a 33 percent increase from the $150 million spent in 2007 on the first Transformers.

It has been an upward trend for years, even for smaller movies:

In 1980, the average cost of marketing a studio movie in the U.S. was $4.3 million ($12.4 million in today's dollars). By 2007, it had shot up to nearly $36 million. If the MPAA still tracked spending on P&A, that number would be north of $40 million today for medium-size films like The Fault in Our Stars or Tammy.

The reason is somewhat surprising:

Blame the cost of television, which remains the biggest line item -- except in France, where American movie ads aren't allowed, and in heavily regulated China. TV can make up half of any marketing budget, even as U.S. viewership splinters and few shows command huge audiences. And while studios have increased the use of social media to deliver a more targeted audience, they haven't decreased their dependence on the small screen.

steve jaros likes this.
  2. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    A great Charting with Dan for this week:

3. steve jaros

steve jaros Supporting Actor

Steve
    The weekend actuals were even worse for Godzilla, it ended up beating Aladdin by a scant $5m DOM. It may end up beating Aladdin only on last Thursday and Friday.

This is a collapsed tentpole for WB. They will need Shaft to perform very well in a couple of weeks, but the competition is not letting up.

4. Message #604 of 964 Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    It was kind of a risky move, as Godzilla has never played as well outside Japan where they have a personal/historical connection the the character and themes of the films. But Godzilla has always tried to be a "message" movie as much as a creature feature, and those don't always sell as many tickets as a straight up monster mash. I know some of the trailers I saw for the new film seemed kind of preachy. I think that also turned some people away.

5. steve jaros

Steve
    Wow, you and I must have seen different trailers. The one or ones I saw just basically showed Godzilla fighting several huge monsters. Just lots of carnage all over, LOL. Which I liked, btw. :)

6. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    WB has had a troubling run lately. The Crimes of Grindelwald went low last year despite being budgeted bigger than the previous Fantastic Beasts. Lego Movie 2 came and went without much fanfare and was way lower than its predecessor. Shazam! had great reviews but couldn't get to $500m worldwide. Pikachu has been doing well, but not exactly setting the box office on fire either. Now Godzilla is underperforming. All of these things together have made it a rocky time for them. At least Aquaman was huge, but it seems like they could use another couple big franchises.

steve jaros likes this.
  7. steve jaros

Steve
    I agree about the past 6 or so months, it's been a little rough. But as you say, there was the huge Aquaman success in there too.

WB probably is the most consistent studio. They never really seem to fall off *that* much. Looking back at Mojo's stats, I think they are the only company that has been in the top 3 studios each of the past 15 years.

Looking forward to the rest of this year, both IT 2 and The Joker seem likely to be big successes. Won't push them in to recent-Disney territory, but will make it likely they finish as the #2 studio for this year, like they usually are.

8. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I agree regarding IT 2 but I think The Joker will be a huge flop.

Solo syndrome.

Bryan^H likes this.
  9. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    They need to green light the Gremlins sequel. :emoji_vertical_traffic_light::D
    A couple of WB's recent titles could be seen as disappointments, but overall they're pretty much right on track where they usually are. Through the end of May, they are having their best year since 2015, and are nearly $200m ahead of where they were at this same time last year.

From BO Mojo:

upload_2019-6-5_11-7-22.

steve jaros and Tino like this.
  10. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I don't think it cost enough for it to be. I think they said the budget was either $40 or $60 million. I think they're clearly positioning it in the slot that did so well for Venom last year. Will it do Venom numbers? Extremely doubtful. But recouping a $60 million investment with the Joker character and worldwide audience should be achievable.

11. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Cinematographer

Wayne
    With that budget if the Joker movie is any good at all it should easily make money.

12. steve jaros

Steve
    You mean like Aquaman? :)

13. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Did I say Aquaman was going to be a huge flop? I don’t recall.

14. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Well, it finally happened - I had a good experience at a theater in 2019!

Saw Dark Phoenix in 3D. Movie itself was meh, but the presentation was in focus, sound levels were good, no sounds from neighboring auditoriums, no one talking, no crying babies, no light from cell phones, no threats of violence. Auditorium was at least half full too.

It’s almost enough to restore one’s faith in humanity :)

Mike2001, Tino and benbess like this.
  15. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    Aladdin (2019)
    Domestic Total as of Jun. 6, 2019:$207,885,926
    Distributor: Buena Vista Release Date: May 24, 2019
    Genre: Fantasy Runtime: 2 hrs. 8 min.
    MPAA Rating: PG Production Budget: $183 millionTotal Lifetime Grosses
    Domestic: $207,885,926 41.5%
    + Foreign: $293,100,000 58.5%
    = Worldwide: $500,985,926

16. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    It’s got about another $50 million domestic left too.

benbess likes this.
  17. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    True.

18. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    After this weekend, Avengers: Endgame needs about $60 million worldwide to pass Avatar and become the #1 box office film of all time (unadjusted of course).

Can it do it? I think now it will.

19. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

There's a strong possibility that Dark Phoenix will have the worst opening weekend of any X-Men movie.

20. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Thats a given already.

Deadline
    Poor, poor Dark Phoenix, flying in with the lowest opening for an X-Men movie ever with $33.9M after being the worst reviewed at 22% Rotten and the worst received with a B- CinemaScore (lowest ever for the franchise) and ComScore/Screen Engine PostTrak’s of 3 stars among general audiences, 69% positive and a low 49% definite recommend. Despite having better exits than Dark Phoenix with an 81% positive and A- CinemaScore, moviegoers weren’t amused with technically the last PG-13 X-Men movie, Apocalypse, and they showed that with their wallets: 4-day projections of $100M dropped to $79.8M during its opening, and stateside, the film is the second-lowest grossing X-Men movie at $155.4M, with First Class being the lowest at $146.4M.