1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

2019 At The Box Office

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Tino, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Cinematographer

Wayne
    I was going to say that I didn't even remember the re-release. I think it came so close to the original release that it didn't do much to it's box office.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  2. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Very little. What $10 million?

3. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
  4. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    That was the total from BOM when I posted. I guess they didn’t add the international total.

Still don’t think it will over take Avatar.

But you never know. Two weeks ago I thought it was a certainty.

5. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    It has clearly gotten beyond the point where new audiences are going to it en masse. So it depends now on how many times people choose to repeat view it instead of going to another competing movie.

It would probably help Endgame's cause if some of the upcoming expected summer blockbusters actually turn out to be duds. But I don't see that happening.

On Charting last week (which I posted in here last Monday), when they were discussing whether or not Endgame could topple the domestic record of The Force Awakens, it was noted that after TFA opened, the first movie to open to $50 million-plus was Deadpool. That was in February 2016, about two months after TFA came out.

The first $50 million-plus opener since Endgame was last week with Detective Pikachu. John Wick did it again this weekend, and it would be absolutely shocking if Aladdin doesn't do it again next weekend. There is at least one (and sometimes more than one) big opening movie pretty much every weekend for the rest of the summer.

That's the difference between a December release for a blockbuster (when the competition is pretty much Oscar bait films that don't do enormous business) and a summer release. It's how The Force Awakens got within shooting distance of $1 billion domestic. And it's how Avatar was able to make so much money, because the next huge movie after that wasn't until Alice in Wonderland in March.

Endgame is now the highest-grossing film to play into the crowded summer playing period, which itself is a remarkable accomplishment whether or not it becomes #1 overall.

6. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Pretty much. The special edition gross total was $10,741,486 per the link in my post above yours (which I think we posted at the same time.)

On another note altogether, I tried to send Box Office Mojo an email with some suggestions to add to a couple of their charts (it says you can do that at the bottom of the page of most charts) and it bounced back to me as undeliverable. That's weird.

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

It makes sense that Endgame is more frontloaded than other comparable blockbusters, because such a big deal was made about seeing it before it got spoiled for you. Certainly I was there opening night in a way that I wouldn't necessarily have been for another movie.

That being said, most movies would kill to have a $30 million fourth weekend.

8. Message #508 of 949 May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Right. Plus, it blew past the gross of Infinity War, which was its most obvious comp. Disney execs are probably doing cartwheels over this gross regardless of where it ends up ranking.

Just speaking in terms of personal preference, I would like for it to pass Avatar, since I don't really like Avatar that much and think Endgame is a better movie. But whether or not this happens, Endgame has had and will continue to have an enormously successful run. One of the trades (I think Deadline) said it broke even with the first weekend's gross, so everything else is pure profit for Disney.

9. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

Sure. Point remains that the "Avatar" re-release added little to its overall gross and wasn't a significant factor...

Tino and Jake Lipson like this.
  10. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    Endgame will be close to Avatar. Either way, it’ll be close.

If Endgame falls short and it is by more than $10M then that’s that. But if it were to fall short by less than Avatar’s rerelease $10M, I think that warrants some asterisk notation when looking at such a ranking list.

11. Message #511 of 949 May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    The domestic and international box office charts are all-inclusive of every release for a given film. Titanic, for example, includes the monies made both from its original release in 1997-8 and the 3D-driven theatrical re-release in 2012. So it's completely fair to count the $10 million that Avatar made from the re-release on its total. The fact that the re-release was in close proximity to the original release does not invalidate it. However, you can also see the breakdown on Box Office Mojo of how much was made in its original release versus the re-release. So the asterisk you're asking for is there.

Personally, I think your point will be rendered irrelevant by Disney. Last year, when Black Panther was close to $700 million domestic, they simply kept it open until it hit the milestone and then closed it once it hit the mark. If Endgame gets within $10 million or so of Avatar's total, I would fully expect Disney to do everything in their considerable power to shove it over the mark for the sake of Marvel getting bragging rights. They can delay the Blu-ray release by a few weeks and re-expand it in late summer if they need to, or double feature it with The Lion King or something. (A Wrinkle in Time got shoved over the $100 million mark domestically because of double features with Incredibles 2.) "See the movie event of a generation one last time in theaters" would be a powerful marketing hook.

If it doesn't get near Avatar, then all this is moot, but if it gets within spitting distance, I'm sure there would be a concentrated effort by Disney/Marvel to get it there.

As I've said before, it is also entirely possible that the release of Far From Home in July will give Endgame the same kind of late-in-its-run boost that Endgame gave to Captain Marvel. Based on what has already been shown, it appears that the plot of Far From Home appears to lean much more heavily on the events of Endgame than Endgame did on the events of Captain Marvel, so that will only help both films.

Tim Glover and Sean Bryan like this.
  12. Colin Jacobson

Sure - when you add an asterisk to note the fact that inflation meant "Endgame" had to sell fewer tickets to get to the same gross! :D

13. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Www.Boxofficeguru.com

THIS WEEKEND Keanu Reeves took control of the box office with guns. Lots of guns. His action threequel John Wick: Chapter 3 beat high expectations and soared to an opening weekend of an estimated $57M nearly doubling the $30.4M debut of its predecessor Chapter 2. The new pic even grossed more in its first weekend than the first John Wick film did during its entire run.

Audience love for the series and the character has grown over the years and Chapter 3 took full advantage. Strong marketing kept interest high and with PG-13 comic book movies dominating the box office in recent times, action fans hungry for higher levels of blood-soaked violence got what they were looking for right here.

Reviews were quite strong, especially for a third installment of an action series, and paying moviegoers are liking the film a lot too with the A- CinemaScore grade. Studio data showed that the crowd was 63% male and 74% over 25. Outside of super hero films, the only R-rated action movies to ever open bigger were The Matrix Reloaded, 300, and 22 Jump Street. The new John Wick also debuted to a strong $35.2M from 66 international markets for a big global launch of $92.2M.

Following its three-week reign atop the charts, Avengers: Endgame fell down to second place and grossed an estimated $29.4M in its fourth round declining by 54%. Disney's astonishing cume rose to $770.8M as Iron Man, Black Widow, and gang sped past Avatar's $760.5M on Saturday to become the second biggest domestic blockbuster of all-time behind only Star Wars: The Force Awakens. The North American total looks on course to end in the friendly $845M neighborhood.

Overseas markets also fell by 54% taking in $46.8M this weekend boosting that total to a remarkable $1.84 billion putting the new global haul at $2.61 billion. Eroding faster than Infinity War, Endgame is on a trajectory to finish its worldwide run very close to the all-time record of $2.79 billion set by Avatar. Whether it ends a little below, or a little above, will be up to the fans.

14. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    That's what the adjusted for inflation chart is for. ;)

Inflation cannot account for things like cultural changes in the way that we consume media, so an unadjusted chart puts all the movies on equal footing by looking at the raw dollar amounts. An inflation-adjusted chart puts all the movies on equal footing relative to movie ticket cost. Both are valuable statistics. They're just intended to tell you different things based on their separate contexts.

Sean Bryan likes this.
  15. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Charting With Dan for this week:

16. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino

Box Office: 'Avengers: Endgame' Faces Uphill Battle to Catch All-Time 'Avatar' Record

Avengers: Endgame has barreled through every record in its path, save for surpassing Avatar’s all-time box office of $2.78 billion.

In spite of a massive four weeks at the box office that has left the Marvel Studios title with $2.62 billion in worldwide ticket sales, Endgamefaces an uphill battle, according to industry experts.

“It’s slowed down more than we all expected,” says Shawn Robbins, chief analyst at BoxOffice Media, who, after the film's first weekend, had optimistically forecast Endgame crossing Avatar’s record in mid-June. He has since moved back his prediction to Labor Day, if it hits the record at all. Robbins notes that "no movie had opened on that level, globally.”

More at
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-avengers-endgame-faces-uphill-battle-catch-all-time-avatar-record-1212784

17. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    The differences in the whole entertainment landscape from 2009 to 2019 are so huge that it’s unlikely any film with a conventional exhibition will be able have legs in the way Avatar did back then.

Endgame was always going to be enormously frontloaded because of the spoiler factor. At this point, I’d figure that everyone who has wanted to see it has gone. There wasn’t any spoiler factor with Avatar driving opening weekend, but there was the then-newer digital 3D format along with the word of mouth that allowed it to remain current longer than new films today do.

Sean Bryan and Tino like this.
  18. Colin Jacobson

Interesting - to me, at least - to compare how many weeks the heavy hitters spent at #1:

"Endgame": 3 weeks
    "Force Awakens": 4 weeks
    "Avatar": 8 weeks
    "Titanic": 16 weeks! :eek:

19. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Shows you how increasingly front loaded films are as Josh noted.

It’s kind of comparable to watching GOT live as opposed to watching it later on a DVR.

People want to see these big budget films right away for many reasons. Spoilers, bragging rights, trashing them on the internet..;)

20. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Except for "Endgame" all of those films came out in December. It's just too much competition with other big budget summer films that makes any spring/summer movie to have an extended summer run in movie theaters.

Sean Bryan and Jake Lipson like this.