1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

2019-2020 NFL Season

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Reggie W, Jul 30, 2019.

?

What team will be a surprise success this season?

Poll closed Sep 8, 2019.
  1. Cleveland Browns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Los Angeles Chargers

42.9%
  3. Chicago Bears

14.3%
  4. Indianapolis Colts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Baltimore Ravens

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Atlanta Falcons

42.9%
  8. Oakland Raiders

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    It would seem many Patriot fans are hoping it blows up and they dump Brown as well. Lots of hate for having Mr. Big Chest on the team on sports radio yesterday.

2. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Supporting Actor

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    He’s going to hear very loud booing wherever he plays
    (outside of Foxboro).

3. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Yes, there are a lot of things that teams like the Steelers and Raiders just allow and tolerate that Belichick will throw him out of the building for. This is the most fascinating part of this. Brown has only been part of teams that let him do all the stupid crap he wants to do...and now he is on the Patriots, where they won't tolerate any of that. Gronk, who was a saint compared to Big Chest, could not take all the restrictions Belichick imposes...Brown is in for a rude awakening. Bill is not going to let the guy carry phones and three tablets into the meetings and around the facilities so he can live tweet on social media during meetings and practice. Antonio will not be allowed to turn playing on the Patriots into his own social media show. If he records players or coaches or anyone involved with the team and posts it on the internet that will be the end of him.

Belichick is not going to let Brown turn his sideline during a game into a circus. The Patriots play football and they play to go to the playoffs and the Super Bowl. They don't play for individual stats. Tom Brady won't even throw you the ball unless you do your homework and are all in on the program. Otherwise, you are not even an afterthought.

Guys like Tomlin and Gruden were letting him do whatever he wanted, not going to happen on the Patriots. This guy could be a Seahawk before the season is over.

I am not sure if Brown understands what he got himself into. He won't ever be a "big star" with the Patriots and he is dwarfed by Belichick and Brady, he's just another WR...I don't think he'll be able to take that.

Wait until he finds out too that the Patriots actually game plan, so one week they may throw to him a bunch of times so teams roll coverage his way and they just use him as a decoy the following week and never throw to him at all. Will he accept his role on the team? Will he understand when they tell him a lot of the time they are using him so they can involve other players in the game?

When Ben would tell Antonio to run a route again or tell him he did not run the route correctly Brown would sulk and fume. Wait until Brady starts telling him how to run his route and where he should be.

This is the fun aspect of this, getting to see Brown reduced to just being another guy in the Patriots system. I think this is what people have the most doubt about and what they really want to see.

4. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    "We are aware of the civil lawsuit that was filed earlier today against Antonio Brown, as well as the response by Antonio's representatives," the Patriots said in a statement. "We take these allegations very seriously. Under no circumstance does this organization condone sexual violence or assault. The league has informed us that they will be investigating. We will have no further comment while that investigation takes place."

Officially, the Patriots would like to state that if you want to have sex with random women that you pay for it and go to a day spa in Florida called Orchids of Asia to do so.

(Orchids of Asia is the Official Day Spa of the New England Patriots)

Malcolm R likes this.
  5. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    The sad thing for the NFL is that they were all set to have everything focused on football for their 100th season and really this season stacked up as one of the most interesting in a long time just from a football perspective...and Antonio Clown...oops, I mean Brown, or just Big Chest, has to take over the headlines with all of his idiotic stupidity.

He really is poison. People that dislike the Patriots should be cheering for him to play for them though because he is going to be a massive distraction all season long unless he gets suspended.

I can't stand the guy but it sure looks on the surface that this rape allegation is not going to go anywhere. Seems the woman had been sleeping with him for a while and wanted $1.6 million from him to start some business so, she has a serious uphill climb to show she is not just doing this for a cash settlement. She has only filed a civil suit so there are no criminal charges against Brown and looks like there will not be which means the NFL and Patriots can't do anything because they would be in violation of the collective bargaining agreement if they try to punish him for a sex crime he was never charged with.

6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I wouldn't be too quick to jump to conclusions about that woman's allegations one way or another.

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  7. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Exactly, I am not. What I am saying is the information that is out there does not favor her position in this and due to that fact I think the NFL, Patriots, everybody involved is going to proceed with extreme caution...which means it will drag on for some time.

8. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I don't know Reggie, but your previous post seem like it was drawing some conclusions.

9. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    No, it just draws on existing facts. I draw no conclusions on what she claims happened. We don't know what happened so there is no way to do that. She did not file criminal charges against him just the civil suit, that I believe handcuffs the NFL and Patriots because there are no criminal charges so they have to wait to see how the lawsuit proceeds. The NFL says they will investigate but they will investigate mainly on behalf of their employee. It would seem apparent she filed the civil suit because she did not call the police and file criminal charges at the time of the rape, when there would have been evidence of it. Instead she is now filing a civil suit which if she gets something out of it would be a monetary settlement. That would be either if the case went to court and she won or Brown's attorney offered a dollar amount to settle it to keep it out of court.

The idea that she was in some sort of relationship with him, not meaning personal but business whatever it was, for a couple of years at least and that she tried to get him to give her $1.6 million...then he was his usual Antonio Brown to her, meaning he mocked her and acted like an asshole...well, this is one of those cases where the woman making the accusation has some major issues to overcome to get that accusation to be well received by a court.

Obviously, it will stand out that her relationship with him went on for 2 years or more and if there is proof she was trying to get the $1.6 million from him during that time that will not help her.

I don't favor Big Chest in any way nor do I care what happens to him.

10. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Well, I'm not going to waste any more time arguing about your post as I'm just saying how I took that post.

11. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I thought I read somewhere that the NFL had eliminated its restriction on TV doubleheaders when the local team was playing at home -- i.e. the networks could now have a doubleheader. Well, today the Lions are at home and all we have for televised games is Chargers - Lions at 1pm and Chicago - Denver at 4pm. I guess I will catch up on my reading instead until we head out to meet some friends for dinner.

12. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    Yes that is a surprise that you aren’t getting the Saints/Rams at 4:25.

13. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    Watching The 49ers/Bengals. Cheap roughing the passer call against the 49ers a few minutes ago. Losing interest in today’s NFL due to their
    progression of turning the game into touch football. Bullshit. :(

14. Scott Merryfield

Unfortunately, the networks give priority to division rivals of the local team, which is why Fox is showing the Bears game. Isn't enough that we have to suffer with the Lions, but then also not get the best match ups from the other games? :huh:

Oh, well. We will not be home for the 2nd game, anyway.

15. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Yeah, this is a foreign situation for me that I'm experiencing for the first time in over two decades, but I'm still not purchasing The Sunday Ticket.:)

16. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    I’ve seen enough of Andy Dalton- there are too many plays he doesn’t make, and too many mistakes he does make. He’ll likely be gone after this year, and the Bengals can start the rookie next year. I can’t wait until next year. :P

17. Scott Merryfield

I don't blame you, Robert. Almost $300 is way more than I would be willing to pay for that package when you consider the relatively few number of games included, even if I could get it through our cable provider. My NHL.tv subscription is just under $100 this season, and I get a LOT more games.

18. Robert Crawford

Robert
    It helps that my teams suck, thus, my fan enthusiasm is down quite a bit. Another thing, the number of injuries in the NFL has increased so much over the years, it kind of dampens the quality of play in the NFL.

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  19. Scott Merryfield

The Dolphins may be putting their own unique spin on 0-16 by setting a record for most games held scoreless. This may be the worst team in the Super Bowl Era - - even worse than the expansion Tampa team in the late '70's.

20. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    Did anyone see the last 31 seconds of the Bears/
    Broncos? NFL.com left out a crucial play in the
    highlights- the roughing the passer call before the winning kick. Talking heads on SiriusXM NFL Radio thought it was a cheap call. Does the league want bogus personal foul penalties to contribute towards the outcome of games? I’m getting tired of this garbage- the powers that be are ruining the game.