What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

2019-2020 NFL Season (1 Viewer)

What team will be a surprise success this season?

• Cleveland Browns

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Indianapolis Colts

• Tampa Bay Buccaneers

• Baltimore Ravens

• Oakland Raiders

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I wonder how long the Chargers are going to be a tenant in Kroenke’s stadium if the PSL fees aren’t going to be enough to cover the rent.
I guess Team Voldemort could stay in Stubbs Arena or whatever it’s called. I think it would be best for the Ram’s owner to accept less from the Spanos family. Less is more than nothing. Gad, I’ll bet the Rams are mad at the NFL for forcing the Spanos family on them.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Detroit Lions ensured the continued mediocrity of the organization for the next couple of decades this week. Owner Martha Ford has turned over ownership to her daughter, Sheila Ford Hamp. The daughter appears to be no more qualified to run a pro sports team than her mother or father. All she's done in life is sit on the boards of organizations where the Ford Family had the influence to get her appointed -- The Henry Ford Museum, Detroit Lions Charities, The Ford Motor Company Fund, and the Edsel and Eleanor Ford House. She said she feels ready because she's been learning from her mother for the past six years. If that statement doesn't make the remaining Lions fans give up their season tickets, nothing will.

The team's unofficial motto of "Rebuilding since 1957" continues on... and on... and on.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Detroit Lions ensured the continued mediocrity of the organization for the next couple of decades this week. Owner Martha Ford has turned over ownership to her daughter, Sheila Ford Hamp. The daughter appears to be no more qualified to run a pro sports team than her mother or father. All she's done in life is sit on the boards of organizations where the Ford Family had the influence to get her appointed -- The Henry Ford Museum, Detroit Lions Charities, The Ford Motor Company Fund, and the Edsel and Eleanor Ford House. She said she feels ready because she's been learning from her mother for the past six years. If that statement doesn't make the remaining Lions fans give up their season tickets, nothing will.

The team's unofficial motto of "Rebuilding since 1957" continues on... and on... and on.
Man, with your constant rants against the Ford family, you sure sound like a frustrated Lions fan instead of a Steelers fan.;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Man, with your constant rants against the Ford family, you sure sound like a frustrated Lions fan instead of a Steelers fan.;)
Naw, I am just fascinated by the train wreck. It's like that traffic accident that you just cannot help looking at as you drive by. ;) Since the team is so prominent in the sports news down here, and I have golfing buddies who still drink the Honolulu Blue Kool-Aid, I cannot help but pay attention to what's happening.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Naw, I am just fascinated by the train wreck. It's like that traffic accident that you just cannot help looking at as you drive by. ;) Since the team is so prominent in the sports news down here, and I have golfing buddies who still drink the Honolulu Blue Kool-Aid, I cannot help but pay attention to what's happening.
I've always said that poor ownership is the worst thing that can ever happen to a sports fan. I say that from experience as a long-suffering Knicks fan.:laugh:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I've always said that poor ownership is the worst thing that can ever happen to a sports fan. I say that from experience as a long-suffering Knicks fan.:laugh:
Yeah, I am going through that right now with my favorite hockey team -- the Montreal Canadiens. Owner Geoff Molson appears to be an absolute boob.

Around here Detroit Red Wings and Tigers fans are experiencing the contrast between having a great owner -- Mike Illitch -- and now having his children run the team. Both franchises are suffering with his passing. The Red Wings may get lucky with Steve Yzerman coming back home (he never moved from the Detorit area while running the Tampa franchise), but it looks like the Illitches want to run the Tigers on a low budget.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, I am going through that right now with my favorite hockey team -- the Montreal Canadiens. Owner Geoff Molson appears to be an absolute boob.

Around here Detroit Red Wings and Tigers fans are experiencing the contrast between having a great owner -- Mike Illitch -- and now having his children run the team. Both franchises are suffering with his passing.
It really isn't that difficult just hire the right GM, support him and get out of his way while remaining patient as it takes time to build a good organization up from the ground level.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It really isn't that difficult just hire the right GM, support him and get out of his way while remaining patient as it takes time to build a good organization up from the ground level.
You would think so, but some owners just cannot do it. In the Lions case, William Clay Ford, Sr. would make a bad hire, and then would hang onto the guy for way too long. You saw it over and over again with GM Russ Thomas, coach Wayne Fontes, GM / President Matt Millen, etc.

In the case of the Montreal Canadiens, Geoff Molson is acting as Team President instead of hiring someone who knows how to run a hockey team.

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt

As bad as this stat is for the Lions- no championships since 1957, this stat is REALLY horrendous- 1 postseason win since 1957. A fan can easily rationalize a long drought between trophies, but to have just 1 playoff win in 62 years directly points to long term incompetence.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The NFL has canceled the Hall of Fame ceremony and game(Steelers vs Cowboys).

Obviously we are in a big wait and see moment with Covid, so the question is, will there be a season? The NFL is sticking to the idea there will be but with cases very much on the rise in the south and west there is certainly an issue with that happening. Covid seems to getting worse in most of the country, and while here in New England things seem far, far better that is not the case elsewhere.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Obviously we are in a big wait and see moment with Covid, so the question is, will there be a season? The NFL is sticking to the idea there will be but with cases very much on the rise in the south and west there is certainly an issue with that happening. Covid seems to getting worse in most of the country, and while here in New England things seem far, far better that is not the case elsewhere.
If players and league employees contract the virus near the start of the season, things should be put on hold. It’s a lock that fans won’t be attending any games this year.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
If players and league employees contract the virus near the start of the season, things should be put on hold. It’s a lock that fans won’t be attending any games this year.

Well, it looks like the southern states and western states need to immediately go into lock down and close almost everything if the country and NFL want a shot at some sort of normal fall. The issue is there are a lot of people and politicians in those areas of the country that will not do that. I think that dooms the NFL and most of the country. I think that the states that are better are going to ban people from states with cases that are on the rise because that will be the only way to control things and that means no NFL season.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am just wondering what the Pats are doing to fit this under the salary cap. The last I read, they had very little money left to spend -- no where near enough to fit in a $7M contract. They must be restructuring some existing contracts.

Other than the cap issue, the signing makes sense. New England was really rolling the dice with an inexperienced QB and no real backup. This also gives Newton a chance to show he's healthy and maybe earn a multi-year deal somewhere next season.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
They had me fooled.
Maybe the Pats have seen something in Stidham recently that makes them less sure about him being ready to start? Going into the season with only Brian Hoyer as a fallback would be downright scary.

As for Newton, he couldn't have picked a better team to sign with where he has a chance to win the starting job. I would have loved to see the Steelers sign him, but Cam would only get a chance to play there if something happened to Ben. In New England, he only has to beat out a 2nd year player who has no starting experience.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just remember that part of the reason why it took Newton this long to sign was because teams were unable to determine how healthy he is with their own doctors taking a look at him. The pandemic interfere with that process until recently. I wouldn't be surprise if it comes out today or later this week that Newton was examine by the Patriots doctors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daryubel
Recent bookmarks