What's new

2019-2020 NFL Season (2 Viewers)

What team will be a surprise success this season?

• Cleveland Browns

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Indianapolis Colts

• Tampa Bay Buccaneers

• Baltimore Ravens

• Oakland Raiders

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I read this on another site -- the story of how Shula left the Colts for the Dolphins. I never knew this:

"After losing to the Jets in SB3 the Colts had a down year in 1969 and Shula fell out of favor with Carroll Rosenbloom. I don't think Rosenbloom ever got over the Jets loss. The first ever NFL team to lose to an AFL team. While on vacation in the Orient Carroll Rosenbloom's son Steve gave permission for Joe Robbie to speak to Shula and when Carroll got back from vacation, said he didn't give his son permission to talk to Shula. By then Shula probably had already agreed to a deal with the Dolphins, so Pete Rozelle gave the Colts their #1 draft pick. Pretty cheap price and crappy how it all went down. You have to give Robbie credit for his shrewd maneuvering. "

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
New England hasn't made a single move this off season that would indicate that they are NOT going with Stidham as their QB, so it's no surprise Belichick wasn't interested in Dalton. They did not draft a QB, have not freed up any salary cap space by either releasing players or restructuring contracts, did not pursue any free agents who could be potential starters, and filled Tom Brady's vacant roster spot with Brian Hoyer, who is absolutely no threat to Stidham.

As for Winston, I think the thing that is most intriguing about him is that he's only 26 years old. If he is able to develop well under a new coach (and Payton is a great one to learn under), then a team gets a possible franchise QB in his prime. If it doesn't work out, the Saints are not out anything, as they are paying him 3rd string QB money.

Yes, it looks like Bill is all in on Stidham. It's a typical Belichick move. Bill loves Hoyer because he is like a coach. In fact Hoyer will likely end up a coach at some point. He's smart, he understands the game and he works well with other players. So, he is way more valuable to Bill this way because he will help Stidham along more than Dalton could. Hoyer knows the offense, knows what to look for, what to key on. Brady loved Hoyer as well. Dalton would have just been competing with Stidham and Belichick was not looking for that or looking to have veteran players question why one guy was starting when the other guy might look better in practice. Stidham will probably have ups and downs and I think Bill intends to ride him through those periods to develop him. Probably would be harder to do that with Dalton on the sideline and a team used to winning. I think he passed on Dalton because he felt he would not give him much more than Hoyer from the talent and skill set standpoint but Hoyer gives him way more from the coaching, help the young QB standpoint.

At the moment I think nobody but Bill and his team have any idea what Stidham is. They are all backing him publicly though.

Winston and the Saints I think both got the best possible deal. Winston goes to a coach and team where he might vastly improve his game and the Saints got a top level back-up that can start for next to nothing. Win-win! In terms of Winston I think Payton or Andy Reid were the two best possible coaches he could have ended up with.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Will Belichick catch Shula for total wins? Bill is 43 total wins behind Don, and Bill just turned 68 recently. I think it will be difficult to reach 347 for Bill.

Bill now claims he is going to coach for several more years and he wants the challenge of rebuilding the Patriots. We'll see what happens. The reason Tom is gone is because Bill committed to continuing to coach. I think people thought he would ride off when Tom was done but now he is saying he wants to keep coaching.

I don't see a lot to get excited about with the current Patriots roster. Their defense was good against weak competition though most of the season. Not as good come playoff time and their offense was less than mediocre and look to be worse this season unless Stidham shocks the world with a lackluster surrounding cast.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Frank Gore has signing a one year contract with the Jets. If he ends up suiting up for the team this fall, it would be his 16th season in the NFL. Gore turns 37 later in May. That's pretty amazing for a running back, the position with the shortest shelf life in the league -- especially considering the knock on him coming out of college was durability concerns due to two ACL injuries .

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Jets are trying to assemble a supporting cast around Darnold. It would be nice to see them
be relevant- it’s been forever since they were last relevant (Rex Ryan contributed to their relevance, in positive and negative ways).

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, interesting that Cam Newton has publicly come out and said he is willing to sign as a back-up. Obviously the big issue with him is his health which no team has had a chance to examine. It also did not help his case that the one guy that knows him best, and so would best understand his injury situation, Rivera in Washington, made a point of signing his back-up rather than Newton. The Redskins would have been the perfect landing spot where Newton could have played while Haskins, who does not look NFL ready, could have sat and learned.

The issue with signing Newton as a back-up is again, you could really only do that on a team with an elite starter. So, maybe the Steelers would take him, he's now probably going to come super cheap so he'd be a steal, but I would think they would want him to be healthy because they are already dealing with one beat-up veteran QB.

All the teams with young guys they want to start (Patriots, Broncos) won't take him because he would blow the young guys off the field and the veterans on those teams would be screaming for Newton to start. Newton might sit until a QB goes down and then somebody may sign him to start.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Booger MacFarlane has been let go from the MNF broadcast team. I never understood how he got past his initial audition and was hired in the first place. The guy was awful, but that's been the theme for MNF for awhile now.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Booger MacFarlane has been let go from the MNF broadcast team. I never understood how he got past his initial audition and was hired in the first place. The guy was awful, but that's been the theme for MNF for awhile now.
They let go of the MNF lead announcer too so it just wasn't Booger's fault. Both of them are being reassign more to their talents. I think Booger got a bad rap as he's better suited to doing their ESPN talk shows than color on a football game.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I think I saw that the replacements will be from internal employees. So someone already there.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think I saw that the replacements will be from internal employees. So someone already there.
I heard Steve Levy for the lead announcer and my home boy Dan Orlovsky and Louis Riddick as color analysts. Both of those guys are much better at analysis than Booger. Booger is more of a talking head as analysis isn't his skill set.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I heard Steve Levy for the lead announcer and my home boy Dan Orlovsky and Louis Riddick as color analysts. Both of those guys are much better at analysis than Booger. Booger is more of a talking head as analysis isn't his skill set.
I will always think of Dan Orlovsky as the guy who accidentally ran out of the back of the end zone to cost the Lions a game during their 0-16 season. He's also part of the folklore of our longtime (21 years) fantasy football league. One of the guys actually started him in our championship game during that Detroit 0-16 season, and lost the title because of it. We gave him crap all off season -- who starts the 3rd string QB on a team in the process of going winless in a FF title game? Well, he changed his team name to Orlovsky's Revenge and actually won the title the next season! :laugh:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I will always think of Dan Orlovsky as the guy who accidentally ran out of the back of the end zone to cost the Lions a game during their 0-16 season. He's also part of the folklore of our longtime (21 years) fantasy football league. One of the guys actually started him in our championship game during that Detroit 0-16 season, and lost the title because of it. We gave him crap all off season -- who starts the 3rd string QB on a team in the process of going winless in a FF title game? Well, he changed his team name to Orlovsky's Revenge and actually won the title the next season! :laugh:
Which team do you consider to be the worst- the 2008 Lions, or the winless Browns team? I would say the Lions- they just didn’t look like an
NFL team to my eyes when I watched a couple of their games that year, especially the Thanksgiving game- they were down 35 points to the Titans in the 2nd quarter, if memory serves.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Which team do you consider to be the worst- the 2008 Lions, or the winless Browns team? I would say the Lions- they just didn’t look like an
NFL team to my eyes when I watched a couple of their games that year, especially the Thanksgiving game- they were down 35 points to the Titans in the 2nd quarter, if memory serves.
I have to go with the Lions, too. Especially when you consider that Matt Millen had spent 8 years building that team, and the owner still wouldn't fire him! It took the owner's son speaking out in public saying he would fire Millen if he were in charge, and Millen then stepped down. Of course, that led to more trouble for the franchise down the road, as father and son did not get along after that, and Ford, Sr left the team to his wife instead of his son when he passed away because of it. Mom then threw Junior out of his office at Lions headquarters and brought in her two daughters in his place. Junior was the only person in the family with any real world business experience (he was former president of Ford Motor Company), and probably the only hope for reversing the decades and decades of incompetence.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I believe Robert had posted here that DirecTV had notified him he would be getting NFL Sunday Ticket free, well, I just received the same notification in the mail. Hopefully, we actually have an NFL season now so we can enjoy that. I assume part of the reason for the giveaway is that there is uncertainty about if there will be a season.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I believe Robert had posted here that DirecTV had notified him he would be getting NFL Sunday Ticket free, well, I just received the same notification in the mail. Hopefully, we actually have an NFL season now so we can enjoy that. I assume part of the reason for the giveaway is that there is uncertainty about if there will be a season.
I’m a former DTV subscriber and every season I’d call to negotiate a price NFLST. I never paid their quoted rate. Usually I could get it for free. They wouldn’t give me ST for zero dollars, they’d charge me the full monthly installment price and give me a credit on my bill for it. Sometimes that credit lasted for a full year, which means my bill went down after ST was “paid” for.

If I got a csr who wouldn’t deal, I’d say goodbye and call again. It seemed the female csr’s were more willing to deal. DTV just kept getting more expensive and less willing to discount, and we canceled.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Is the offer you received from AT&T NFL Sunday Ticket Max?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm a Raiders fan, but damn! It's amazing how the public allows themselves to be taken advantage of like this with PSL's. No wonder businesses think of us as sheep.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Last I heard, the PSL’s for the Voldemorts were not selling. They were going to have trouble coming up with their contribution to the stadium.

From the moment I heard about the PSL concept, I knew I’d never buy one. “Pay us money for the privilege of paying us more.” :blink:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Last I heard, the PSL’s for the Voldemorts were not selling. They were going to have trouble coming up with their contribution to the stadium.

From the moment I heard about the PSL concept, I knew I’d never buy one. “Pay us money for the privilege of paying us more.” :blink:
I wonder how long the Chargers are going to be a tenant in Kroenke’s stadium if the PSL fees aren’t going to be enough to cover the rent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks