What's new

2019-2020 NFL Season (1 Viewer)

What team will be a surprise success this season?

• Cleveland Browns

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Indianapolis Colts

• Tampa Bay Buccaneers

• Baltimore Ravens

• Oakland Raiders

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
That brilliant Andy Reid clock management almost cost the Chiefs at the end of the first half. :huh: I've never seen another coach so consistently bad at managing the clock. That being said, Houston's in trouble.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I count Mangini, not Crennel. Crennel and Bill both came up under Parcells so I count them under the Parcells tree. Early in his career Belichick hired veteran coaches to be his OC or DC. That's why Crennel was there for a bit. Then Bill threw that out and began the deal where he started to bring up his own guys that he would bring along. A guy like Patricia is a perfect example. Vrabel hired Dean Pees to be his DC (who replaced Mangini), the guy Patricia basically followed on the Patriots.

On the coaching tree thing I just consider coaches or players that were brought along by a coach. In Belichick's later system, when Vrabel was there, Bill had developed a style where his coaches were players on the field almost more than the assistants. That's why Belichick sort of stopped calling people the "defensive coordinator" and dropped it as a title.
You seem to be bending the rules to fit your own narrative. Mangini and Crennel, who both where coordinators for multiple years under Belichick, don't count as assistants who failed under BB. Vrabel, who never coached under BB, counts as one of his, yet Klingsbury doesn't. :rolleyes:

Regardless, there has yet to be a Belichick disciple -- no matter how you count them -- who's had any real success as a head coach in the NFL. Bill O'Brien appears to be on his way to another playoff failure.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The guys calling the game on Westwood One Radio think the missed extra point could be a factor. Oh, please- most of us fans aren’t idiots, so we know when our intelligence is being insulted. Zero chance the Texans make this a
game now.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You seem to have developed a burning need in the last couple of months to discount anything I ever say, but I have no interest in playing that game. So I'll move on elsewhere.

Plus, that comment doesn't even make any sense.
I think you’re looking for something that’s not there. I’m not playing any games, I’m just opinionated with a POV that can be contrary to others. As to my post not making sense, yes, I made a mistake not using the Titans name instead of Oilers.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
You seem to be bending the rules to fit your own narrative. Mangini and Crennel, who both where coordinators for multiple years under Belichick, don't count as assistants who failed under BB. Vrabel, who never coached under BB, counts as one of his, yet Klingsbury doesn't. :rolleyes:

Regardless, there has yet to be a Belichick disciple -- no matter how you count them -- who's had any real success as a head coach in the NFL. Bill O'Brien appears to be on his way to another playoff failure.

No, I keep saying I count Mangini, I DO NOT count Crennel because Crennel is a Parcells guy NOT a Belichick guy. Crennel is Belichick's equal, not a student of Bill. Like I said the best example of a true Belichick guy though is Vrabel. Why would Kingbury count as he never played for, coached for, did nothing, spent ZERO time learning under Belichick?

Vrabel coached for Belichick on the field for 8 years. Directly under Bill's tutelage at all times. Not even O'Brien did that.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wow, these two teams can't play defense...so if you like points, this game is fantastic.

Not sure I'd go completely that far -- many of the points weren't entirely under the defense's control.

2 of Houston's TD came on a Blocked punt and a 6 yard drive after a fumbled punt. Even the FG in the first half started on the 50yd line

Even KC's first 3 TD totalled 70yds (1st after 60+ kickoff return, 30 yd drive after the fake punt which I think may have been the critical play of the whole game, and 6 yd after the kickoff fumble)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
No, I keep saying I count Mangini, I DO NOT count Crennel because Crennel is a Parcells guy NOT a Belichick guy. Crennel is Belichick's equal, not a student of Bill. Like I said the best example of a true Belichick guy though is Vrabel. Why would Kingbury count as he never played for, coached for, did nothing, spent ZERO time learning under Belichick?

Vrabel coached for Belichick on the field for 8 years. Directly under Bill's tutelage at all times. Not even O'Brien did that.

Crennel was a coordinator for three seasons under Belichick. You want me to believe Belichick had nothing to do with Crennel's development as a coach - - it was all Parcells?

I give up.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
That brilliant Andy Reid clock management almost cost the Chiefs at the end of the first half. :huh: I've never seen another coach so consistently bad at managing the clock. That being said, Houston's in trouble.
Reid has had a similar regular/post season record as the Schottenheimer. Marty was gangbusters in the regular season but couldn’t coach his way out of a bag of shit in the post season. Look at Andy’s record, very similar.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Looks like the Chiefs will get to their first Super Bowl in 50 years. I will be rooting for the Chiefs because of their fans.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Reid has had a similar regular/post season record as the Schottenheimer. Marty was gangbusters in the regular season but couldn’t coach his way out of a bag of shit in the post season. Look at Andy’s record, very similar.
Yes, Marty had a pretty bad postseason record. I do not remember him being anywhere as terrible as Reid at clock management, though -- although I just may not be remembering Schottenheimer's flaws. It could be argued that Reid has been more successful in the postseason than Marty -- he has made it to one Super Bowl so far, while Schottenheimer never got to the big game.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Yes, Marty had a pretty bad postseason record. I do not remember him being anywhere as terrible as Reid at clock management, though -- although I just may not be remembering Schottenheimer's flaws. It could be argued that Reid has been more successful in the postseason than Marty -- he has made it to one Super Bowl so far, while Schottenheimer never got to the big game.
Yes Reid has had a more successful post season career than Marty had- Marty was 5-13 in the playoffs, with no Super Bowl appearances. Seems to me Marty’s teams played very tight in the playoffs, and somewhat unprepared. As an Eagles fan, I couldn’t agree with you more that Reid’s clock, timeout, and challenge management leave a lot to be desired.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'll be watching tonight's College Football Championship game, not because I'm a fan of either college program, but wanting to see future NFL personnel playing in their last college football game.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks