1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

2019-2020 NFL Season

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Reggie W, Jul 30, 2019.

?

What team will be a surprise success this season?

Poll closed Sep 8, 2019.
  1. Cleveland Browns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Los Angeles Chargers

42.9%
  3. Chicago Bears

14.3%
  4. Indianapolis Colts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Baltimore Ravens

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Atlanta Falcons

42.9%
  8. Oakland Raiders

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Actually, my mother is from western Pennsylvania and we still had family living there that we would visit when I was growing up, so I was raised as a Steelers fan. I did also root for the Lions when I was younger, but as I got older (I won't say wiser ;)) I just couldn't continue to support a team with such incompetent ownership. Having another "favorite" team in Pittsburgh certainly made that a much easier decision in my case.

I was fortunate that I was too young to experience any of those bad Rooney ownership years with the Steelers. I am just old enough to remember when Chuck Noll took over, so the Steelers dynasty and I sort of grew up together. I vividly remember Pittsburgh qualifying for the playoffs for the first time in many years, and old man Art Rooney lighting a victory cigar to mark the occasion.

I am too young to remember those Browns teams from the '60's, and was not lucky enough to ever see Jim Brown play (can't remember Gale Sayers, either). I completely missed the Lombardi Packers, too.

2. Message #602 of 1015 Dec 7, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    So, the rumors are flying in New England that Tom Brady has had it with the Patriots and absolutely will not play for the team in 2020. If you have seen any of the Patriots recent games when they cut to a shot of Brady on the sideline he looks about as unhappy as a human being can. The word is that Tom, who at one point appeared to have the upper hand on Belichick due to being able to go direct to the Krafts to override him, now has been informed by the Krafts that Bill holds all the cards and will make the decision in 2020 if the Patriots will offer Brady a contract and what that contract will be worth.

Brady at the moment ranks in the bottom 5 QBs in the league in stuff like completion percentage and his stats could be said to show a severe drop off in his level of play. You can bet money (Brady's money) that Bill will take those things into heavy consideration when or if he offers Tom a new deal. Plus let's face it this seasons Patriots are totally a Belichick squad that are reliant on their defense to win games.

Brady is also apparently disgusted that in what is a contract year for him the team could not hang on to Big Chest Brown and convince Gronk to return. There were rumors that Gronk considered coming back for the last 5 or 6 games of the season and the playoffs but that is not happening.

Here's where it gets really fun though...where would Brady play if he goes to another team in 2020? I've always thought the Titans, they need a QB, Brady is pals with Vrabel and Gronk would likely return to play there...you can even throw in that Mr. Big Chest, when or if the NFL let's him back on the field, would be free to sign wherever Brady is...and Brady wants him in a big way and Big Chest wants to play with Brady.

Here's the thing though, which I find odd, the Titans are not even being mentioned as one of the teams that may make a play to land a free agent Brady! Here are the teams that apparently are rumored to have an interest...

Miami Dolphins
    - This sort of makes sense in that the Dolphins have a former Patriots coach at the helm and would obviously run Tom's offense. The Dolphins do not have a QB and will obviously take one in the 2020 draft and sitting a year or two behind Brady obviously works. Also Tom's wife appears to like Florida. What makes no sense is the Dolphins are a rebuilding team and Brady would be just the sacrificial goat until the rookie takes over. He has no shot at a Super Bowl there. Why would he sign here?

Los Angeles Chargers- Well, Rivers is in the same position as Brady. He is free to go at the end of the season. The Chargers have recently discussed benching him. I think it is safe to say, Rivers is finished with the Chargers. Here's the rest of the rumor with this one, it's big. The NFL obviously wants football to be huge in LA and there is massive investment in the stadium there, which as we all know is not going well. Add to this the Rams are not even playing well this season. The league wants a huge splash move in LA. This plays like this...Brady goes to the Chargers,and McDaniels goes with him as the new head coach. I assume Gronk would be all in on this but the Chargers do have Hunter Henry if he can stay healthy. However, Brady and McDaniels do like to run a two TE offense. The Chargers have talent and a lot of it, if they can keep them on the field. Brady does love California and LA would be a perfect place for him to sell his TB12 centers to the rich and famous. The part of this rumor that makes sense is the league really wants this. It is said that Tom's wife hates, HATES, California and does not want to live there. I can see this happening if it happens exactly the way the rumor goes and Brady and McDaniels go there as a package. This seems not to be likely but what do I know. It would obviously cost the Spanos some money to pull this off and maybe with some strong arm tactics from the league it could happen. Seems crazy to me and I would have never dreamed this one up. The rumor is though this is the preferred landing spot for Tom because his family is out there.

Dallas Cowboys- Yup, the rumor is crazy Jerry would get in on the Brady bidding. This rumor revolves around Jones not being convinced that Prescott is a franchise QB so Jones, always looking to get back to the Super Bowl quick, wants to bring in Brady for an all in run while he searches for the next QB. I could see Tom liking the idea of stepping onto this team with an owner that will throw money at winning and a squad that should be able to contend for their division easily. They have talent and a good O-line, Brady would like that. Some people seem to think that Prescott would go to the Patriots in the deal. I can't see any sane owner doing this but we are talking about Jerry Jones.

3. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    If Brady is really in the bottom 5 and the Pats are totally a Bellichick team, why does it make sense for anyone to sign Brady for big bucks? The Spanas beancounters aren't going to spend big bucks for a qb in the twilight of his career.

4. sleroi

sleroi Second Unit

Gavin Kopp
    Not sure where you are hearing your rumors.

I dont live in L.A. but while a lot of fans are clamoring to bench Rivers I highly doubt it is being considered. And while I think Lynn is a mediocre coach, ownership is content with mediocrity. Never in a million years could I see them booting Rivers and Lynn for Brady and McDaniels.

And I live in Dallas. All the talk and conjecture is about a new coach. Urban Meyers, Lincoln Riley, the Baylor coach. I havent heard a single whisper about Brady.

5. Scott Merryfield

I just cannot imagine Brady going to a non-contender, which leaves out Miami (and probably Tennessee, despite Vrabel being there). If Jerry Jones picks a fading Brady over signing Prescott, he is crazy (well, we know Jones history, so anything is possible there).

What about Denver making a play for him? Elway did it once before with Peyton Manning.

Honestly, I know Brady is a fierce competitor, but at this point he'd be better off just retiring than accepting any of the options out there.

6. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    The rumors come from sports pundits, talkers, writers, and players. As you can imagine everything about Brady that gets said is huge news in New England. I was actually shocked at the teams that were mentioned as his potential landing spots and shocked at the teams that were not mentioned that I thought made the most sense.

To me I would never have believed nor would I expect Brady to land with the Dolphins, Chargers, or Cowboys. So, the fact that these are the three rumored teams...well...left me lost. I mean, the Titans or Panthers or even the Jaguars making a play for him I could see. I could even see Elway taking a swing at bringing him to the Broncos.

Basically though from Brady's standpoint if he wants to contend I would think he would swallow his pride and desire to make more money and just attempt to stay with the Patriots. The rumor is Belichick has already made clear Brady will not get any kind of pay increase to play for the Patriots next season...and the Krafts are now saying it is totally Belichick's call. This is why Brady seems to have had it. During the Jimmy G deal Brady was able to go over Bill's head but now the word is the Krafts have cut that off. This is said to be because Belichick has stated he now intends to coach for several more years. So, Bill is ready to bring in someone else to play QB...honestly what pissed Brady off was during the Jimmy G period Belichick had supposedly stated he was ready to go with Jimmy and to let Tom go. Tom has never been happy about that.

On the Rivers benching thing, that came from Lynn himself who said they were considering it if Rivers continued to throw picks...and he has. So, that was not just a fan thing.

7. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    I have no idea what the Spanos clowns would do or not do but they honestly are desperate to sell some tickets and the league would like to see this in a big way. I don't think any team going after a 42-43 year old QB makes much sense but all a team has to do is offer more money than the Patriots...and Belichick will make that part easy.

And yes, Brady is way down at the bottom of starting QBs in terms of completion percentage. He's tied with Gardner MInshew. He ranks lower than Ryan Fitzpatrick, Sam Darnold, Mason Rudolph, Josh Allen, Ryan Tannehill
    (who smokes Brady here), Mitch Trubisky, Jacoby Brissett, and Kyler Murray.

In a word he stinks in one of the most important QB stats.

8. Scott Merryfield

He also has one of the worst collection of receivers to throw to in his entire career.

9. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    I am in total and complete agreement with you, Scott. Brady is a "legacy" guy and I don't know why he would go to another team except out of pride and his idea of promoting his "TB12 method" allowed him to play until he was 45. My feeling is the same as yours, if he does not want to play for less money for Belichick he should retire. The thing is Brady thinks he still has plenty of tread on the tires.

10. Message #610 of 1015 Dec 7, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Well, I don't think that will play with Belichick and I mean do any of the QB's I listed have a better WR to throw to than Julian Edelman? Seriously, do the Dolphins or Jets or Bills or any of those teams offer a better group than what Brady has? Plus that collection of QBs that beat him out are certainly not known for their accuracy.

I think this is why Tom is so angry right now, Bill has him by the short hairs because if people evaluate his stats they will say he has fallen off...which means less money in a contract. Bill is winning the argument in a big way.

11. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    The Voldemort owners are “content with mediocrity” is so right on.

12. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    We've heard similar rumors about Brady in years past, and nothing came of it, so I'm of the "believe it when I see it" camp.

I agree that his best route would be to retire if he no longer wants to play for NE. It would be unfortunate to see him take the sad route that some QB's take, desperately hanging on for a few years after their talent has faded. It just tarnishes their legacy when the most recent memories of a great QB are a series of awful games.

sleroi likes this.
  13. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Man, that was a great game between the Niners and Saints.

Johnny Angell and sleroi like this.
  14. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Supporting Actor

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    Yes the 49ers are for real. Those are the best 2 teams in the NFC.

15. Scott Merryfield

I only was able to see the last couple of minutes, since the Lions game was on here.:angry: It was quite an ending, though.

16. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    Foxboro Stadium.

Worst fans in NFL history.

First loss in OVER 26 months... and they BOO!?!

17. Scott Merryfield

What have you done for me lately? :laugh:

JohnRice likes this.
  18. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

They might have been booing the referees. Some pretty bad officiating in this game, that hurt the Patriots and potentially took 11 points off of the board.

- Walter.

Malcolm R likes this.
  19. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Maybe some makeup calls after Dallas and a couple other games.

Unfortunately those don't appear to hold a candle to the continuing punishment of New Orleans. I just can't believe the constant and unrelenting bad calls against them for the last nearly two years and only accelerating after they were completely embarrassed in the playoff game

Malcolm R likes this.
  20. Message #620 of 1015 Dec 9, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    Scott Merryfield

The officiating has been brutal this season. In yesterday's Pittsburgh - Arizona game, the Steelers RB Samuels had his helmet knocked off in a very clear brutal shot to the head that everyone in the stadium saw -- except, evidently, for every single zebra on the field. Instead of a 1st down inside the 5 yard line, Pittsburgh had to settle for a field goal after Samuels failed to get the first down (although his helmet did). Fortunately, Samuels was not injured on the play.

Speaking of the Steelers, they overcame some typical bizarre game management calls by Mike Tomlin and continued their startling resurrection from the dead with an offensive roster that looks like something from NFL Europe. Their defense was the main reason once again, as they put Kyler Murrary under constant pressure to create numerous sacks and three interceptions. Pittsburgh currently holds the final wild card spot, which was unthinkable after their 1-4 start. It will still be an uphill battle, though, as they face Buffalo next week and finish with Baltimore. The only optimistic things about the schedule is they have a game against the Jets sandwiched between those two games, and the Ravens may have home field wrapped up before the last week and will rest some of their regulars. A win against the Bills next week would actually move the Steelers into the first wild card spot.

BTW, the game was played in Arizona, but must have been at least 75% Steelers fans. Does anyone in the Phoenix area care about the Cardinals? It looked as bad as Pittsburgh's road game versus the Chargers in LA, except this time it was in an NFL-sized stadium.