What's new

2019-2020 NFL Season (1 Viewer)

What team will be a surprise success this season?

• Cleveland Browns

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Indianapolis Colts

• Tampa Bay Buccaneers

• Baltimore Ravens

• Oakland Raiders

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The timing of the firing of Rivera leads me to 2 possible conclusions- either Rivera ticked off the wrong guy, or the owner thinks the team has quit on the coach. The firing doesn’t seem to make sense if there were no rifts, or the team was playing hard for him.

The latest owner there likes to tinker so Ron was not "his guy" so now he will go and get the guy he wants for 2020.

I really want nothing to do with Rivera going to the Chargers and I don't think Lynn is on the hot seat yet...tough to judge him or the team when they seem to never be able to put all their talented players on the field at the same time.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I wonder if Jones would consider hiring Rivera, and I wonder if Rivera would want to put up with how things are run in Dallas. I think Jones could do worse (he has done worse).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The problem with being the Cowboys HC is the players know he's not empowered. Jerry calls the shots so the HC has no real power so how can he be expected to hold players accountable when he has zero power to address player issues.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Yes, Jerry Jones will need to find another young, inexperienced assistant who has no other chance at a head coaching job -- similar to Garrett when he was hired. Someone with more experience (and other options) will not want to put up with Jones.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
My favorite part of every Cowboys game is when the 'boys screw up a play, or at the end of the game when they've lost, and the cameras cut to Jerry Jones. :lol:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The latest owner there likes to tinker so Ron was not "his guy" so now he will go and get the guy he wants for 2020.

I really want nothing to do with Rivera going to the Chargers and I don't think Lynn is on the hot seat yet...tough to judge him or the team when they seem to never be able to put all their talented players on the field at the same time.
It’s hard to chalk it up just to injuries. Just consider the franchise history. Rain or shine, at the end of the season, they are usually not in the playoffs and they definitely aren’t in the final game.

I have a hard time feeling bad for Cowboy fans. Yeah their owner should let football people do the football stuff. But Jones cares about the team. He spends money on the team. Yeah, he’s a business man, but he bleeds Cowboy colors. The Spanos’ bleed accountants ink.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
It’s hard to chalk it up just to injuries. Just consider the franchise history. Rain or shine, at the end of the season, they are usually not in the playoffs and they definitely aren’t in the final game.

I have a hard time feeling bad for Cowboy fans. Yeah their owner should let football people do the football stuff. But Jones cares about the team. He spends money on the team. Yeah, he’s a business man, but he bleeds Cowboy colors. The Spanos’ bleed accountants ink.
Spanos and Bengals owner Mike Brown definitely have this in common. Another thing these men have in common- zero Super Bowl championships.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Spanos and Bengals owner Mike Brown definitely have this in common. Another thing these men have in common- zero Super Bowl championships.
Add William Clay Ford, Sr. -- and now his widow Martha -- to this list. The Lions have won exactly one post season game -- way back in 1991 -- in the past 62 years. Top that! At least the Chargers made it to one Super Bowl, and the Bengals have been there twice. Detroit is the only franchise that has been in existence for every Super Bowl and never been there once.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Add William Clay Ford, Sr. -- and now his widow Martha -- to this list. The Lions have won exactly one post season game -- way back in 1991 -- in the past 62 years. Top that! At least the Chargers made it to one Super Bowl, and the Bengals have been there twice. Detroit is the only franchise that has been in existence for every Super Bowl and never been there once.
A team that is actually named the Cleveland Browns has never been to a SB.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
A team that is actually named the Cleveland Browns has never been to a SB.

Even if you buy the NFL's history of the Browns (which I do not), they ceased to exist a few years between when Art Modell moved the franchise to Baltimore to become the Ravens and the team resumed operations a few years later as an expansion team. If you do not buy the NFL's history, then the original Browns have indeed won two Super Bowls as the Baltimore Ravens and the current Browns have only been around for 20 years. Since the entire franchise (players, front office, owner) all relocated to Baltimore, I prefer to believe the latter version.

In either case, that still leaves the Detroit Lions as the only franchise that has been in existence for every Super Bowl and never been there once. Even the Bidwell-owned Cardinals and horribly run Jets have been there once.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Even if you buy the NFL's history of the Browns (which I do not), they ceased to exist a few years between when Art Modell moved the franchise to Baltimore to become the Ravens and the team resumed operations a few years later as an expansion team. If you do not buy the NFL's history, then the original Browns have indeed won two Super Bowls as the Baltimore Ravens and the current Browns have only been around for 20 years. Since the entire franchise (players, front office, owner) all relocated to Baltimore, I prefer to believe the latter version.

In either case, that still leaves the Detroit Lions as the only franchise that has been in existence for every Super Bowl and never been there once. Even the Bidwell-owned Cardinals and horribly run Jets have been there once.
In addition to Detroit, it is my opinion that Cleveland nor Houston has ever celebrated a SB appearance. If your opinion is different then so be it.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
In addition to Detroit, it is my opinion that Cleveland nor Houston has ever celebrated a SB appearance. If your opinion is different then so be it.

But once again, neither city has had an NFL franchise for every Super Bowl and never been there. Cleveland did not have a team from 1996 through 1998, and Houston did not have a team from 1997 through 2001. You could also say Jacksonville has never celebrated a SB appearance, but none of these fit the criteria of the having a team for every Super Bowl like the Lions.

In any case, the discussion was originally about poorly-run franchises, and in both instances of Cleveland and Houston there were two distinct, different franchises operating there during the Super Bowl era. It's no different than St. Louis with first the Cardinals and then the Rams playing in that city.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
But once again, neither city has had an NFL franchise for every Super Bowl and never been there. Cleveland did not have a team from 1996 through 1998, and Houston did not have a team from 1997 through 2001. You could also say Jacksonville has never celebrated a SB appearance, but none of these fit the criteria of the having a team for every Super Bowl like the Lions.
I'm not arguing your point. I'm saying that Detroit, Cleveland and Houston which had football teams in 1967, have never celebrated one SB appearance. That's all I'm saying. TBH, I think it's worse for true Browns fans than Lions fans because of those two SB wins in Baltimore especially the first one.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I'm not arguing your point. I'm saying that Detroit, Cleveland and Houston which had football teams in 1967, have never celebrated one SB appearance. That's all I'm saying. TBH, I think it's worse for true Browns fans than Lions fans because of those two SB wins in Baltimore especially the first one.
Yes the first Ravens championship was when Modell still owned the team, so that had to be especially galling to the original Browns franchise fans.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Regardless, the original discussion was about inept ownership. No ownership can match the Ford Family's record of 0-54 in attempts to get to the Super Bowl and exactly one playoff victory in 63 years (and that was 28 years ago). In a league that is setup to help bad teams get better, it takes an amazingly consistent level of incompetence to achieve such results for that long. No Lions fan younger than 70 can remember the last time they won a championship (and Ford was not the majority owner back then). As bad as Spanos, Mike Brown, and the Bidwell Family have been, none can quite match the Fords.

As for fans in cities that lose a team to relocation and get another team, I do wonder how their passion compares between the old and new teams. Neither versions of the Browns have been very good, unless you go back to the 50's like the Lions. The Texans have been decent lately, but have yet to get over the hump, while the Oilers were unfortunate to have their best teams at the same time when the Steelers were dominant. Baltimore fans had success with both the Colts and Ravens, but there was a much longer period between the Colts leaving and Ravens arriving than in Cleveland or Houston, so we are talking about different generations of fans.

Last edited:

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I grew up in Houston in the 70s and was a huge Oilers fan. (And Chargers fan, but thats another story.)

I stayed with the Oilers after Bum was fired and they were horrid. The city turned on Bud Adams, the owner. Even when they became competitive again the city still hated Adams. In 1997 Adams wanted a new stadium and threatened to move the team. The media, local government, and fans said screw you and kicked them out of town.

Which is why I am now a Titans fan. Theyre still the Oilers to me. And why I hate the Texans. Houston had a perfectly good team they could have kept. So I dont think they deserved a new team. But Houston was too big a market not to have a team, much like L.A., so the almighty $ won out. But I can still hope the Texans remain super bowl-less for years to come.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Regardless, the original discussion was about inept ownership. No ownership can match the Ford Family's record of 0-54 in attempts to get to the Super Bowl and exactly one playoff victory in 63 years (and that was 28 years ago). In a league that is setup to help bad teams get better, it takes an amazingly consistent level of incompetence to achieve such results for that long. No Lions fan younger than 70 can remember the last time they won a championship (and Ford was not the majority owner back then). As bad as Spanos, Mike Brown, and the Bidwell Family have been, none can quite match the Fords.

As for fans in cities that lose a team to relocation and get another team, I do wonder how their passion compares between the old and new teams. Neither versions of the Browns have been very good, unless you go back to the 50's like the Lions. The Texans have been decent lately, but have yet to get over the hump, while the Oilers were unfortunate to have their best teams at the same time when the Steelers were dominant. Baltimore fans had success with both the Colts and Ravens, but there was a much longer period between the Colts leaving and Ravens arriving than in Cleveland or Houston, so we are talking about different generations of fans.
Again, I'm not arguing your point about the Lions and their ownership as it pertains to the SB era. Is that reason why you became a Steelers fan? When I was a kid, the Steelers were a bad team until Chuck Noll and great drafts came along. At that time, the Browns were damn good in the 60's. I remember when they won the NFL championship after Paul Brown was fired with Jim Brown, Frank Ryan at QB and Paul Warfield at WR. They stomped the Baltimore Colts that year as the Packers had a good year, but weren't great that season. I think Brown played one more season before retiring for Hollywood.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks