1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

2019-2020 NFL Season

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Reggie W, Jul 30, 2019.

?

What team will be a surprise success this season?

Poll closed Sep 8, 2019.
  1. Cleveland Browns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Los Angeles Chargers

42.9%
  3. Chicago Bears

14.3%
  4. Indianapolis Colts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Baltimore Ravens

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Atlanta Falcons

42.9%
  8. Oakland Raiders

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
  2. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    He was fined for two roughing the passer fouls against the Jets? Was that the same game? If so, that says a lot about Garrett’s character. One penalty isn’t enough to get him to ease off?

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    Yeah, I'm not sure why many are acting like he's a choirboy outside of the Steelers incident. He has a history of violent reactions.

4. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Supporting Actor

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    Remember- today’s roughing the passer calls aren’t what they used to be- Garrett might have just touched the helmet of the Jets QB, or taken the QB to the ground in a way that the ref didn’t like.

I agree with Pouncey’s suspension getting reduced to 2 games (he won’t be able to play in the rematch next week).

5. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    Yes, but you’d think he’d learn from two roughing penalties in one game. Anyway, his actions were so beyond the pale, he should miss a season. Garrett is lucky (and so is the QB) that he just happened to use some of the open end of the helmet. Otherwise, there could have been a serious injury, even a fatality. Send a message, NFL.

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

From the article:

Complicating the expense problem is a revenue problem. The Chargers have struggled to sell PSLs, the proceeds of which go directly to defray the costs incurred by Kroenke. The Rams expected $400 million to come from those PSL sales; the actual number will be much lower than that, especially after the Chargers dropped the price for upper-deck PSLs to $100.

So, while the stadium costs have spiraled out of control, the revenue situation probably would have been much better had the Raiders been the 2nd tenant. They certainly would have sold a lot more PSLs than the Chargers, who appear to be a mere afterthought in Los Angeles.

The Raiders will do well financially in Vegas, though.

7. Scott Merryfield

8. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    We all have things that particularly irritate us. PSL’s are one of man. Basically it’s “You much pay us a bribe, before we’ll deign to sell you our product at an inflated price.” That said, I must admit I’m enjoying what’s happening to the team owned by the Spanos family. Perhaps they’ll sell.

I grew up with the only football team in southern CA being the Rams. I thought the Rams would be welcomed back, according to the article, LA would have preferred the Raiders. Is LA pissed off at the Rams for leaving even though they brought a competitive team to the city? Why would they prefer the Raiders, the team that has shown they will leave, and do it frequently. Has there been another franchise that has moved so frequently?

Now I understand team Voldemort not being welcomed back. They only spent one season in LA when the AFL started and did so poorly they moved south. They bring no championship tradition with them. Is it a surprise they’re not doing well? I hope the Spanos family takes it in the shorts.

I wonder how San Diego Jack Murphy Stadium (a name from the past) is looking to them right now?

9. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    There are rumors that they feel the move to LA was a big mistake and that they want to move the team again, including the possibility of going back to San Diego. Not sure what their contractual obligations are with moving into the new stadium with the Rams or what it would take to get untangled from that. The NFL certainly wants the Rams in LA and they want them to be a massive success there. The team did their part last year with a trip to the Super Bowl though their offense was a total dud in the game. However, the team LA seems to like the most remains the Raiders and the Rams seem unlikely to win over a good amount of fans there unless they actually produce some sort of winning tradition there. With the cost of that stadium, which is obscene, it should have been the Raiders and Rams there.

Funny, it made the most sense to move the Chargers to Vegas, where they would draw crowds just from being there because that stadium will sell tickets to people from all over the place. It won't be much of a "home field" but they likely will sell seats to fans of teams from all over that are visiting. That is something the Chargers are used to anyway.

Now the Chargers are pretty much a lost team. They are struggling again this year after a good season last year and Rivers will likely walk at the end of the season, either into retirement or to another team that he can help transition until they draft their QB of the future.

For the record, I don't think Rivers is washed up, I'd say he is fed up, does not like LA, and is tired of playing for the Chargers. I've seen this from him over the course of several years. If the Chargers hit November and are struggling he will just get sloppy. He plays his A game when they are in it, when they are not he can drop to his D+ game. I think his patience and focus slips as each season starts to look like a bust. He tries to do too much and it all leads to mistakes and poor play. I think he would like to go play for a team like the Panthers or Titans. Finish his career there and that's where he and his family would like to live. Maybe it is possible for him to get to one of those teams as neither one seems to have a fixture at QB now. Who knows maybe that would revitalize the last couple years of his career.

I can certainly see him retiring at the end of this season too. What looked like a window of opportunity for the Chargers after a solid 2018 and a talent loaded team, quickly ended in injuries and poor coaching yet again. To me he looks like a guy that just can't take anymore as he was always a player that poured himself into the game.

10. Scott Merryfield

Well, Rivers played college football just up the road in Raleigh, so I could see him being interested in finishing his career with the Panthers. He wouldn't be a bad fit in Pittsburgh, either, if Big Ben decides to call it quits.

11. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    I had thought he would be interested in retiring to San Diego. It’s a great place to live.

I was being a big facetious when referring to the SD stadium. It would make more sense for the NFL to put the Raiders in LA and the Voldemorts in LV, if all parties agree. How the Voldemorts could move back to SD with their financial obligations in LA, I don’t know. I think it’s close to a nil chance they would return to SD.

I think it would be a bit humiliating to the Spanos’s to give up on LA and move to LV. It would be doubly so to return to SD. I can just imagine all the public relations statements: “We always wanted to be in ____________ from the start. We just had to do a double reverse to pull it off.” :lol::lol::lol:

12. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    I doubt San Diego would support a return at this point. The stadium would be mostly empty.

13. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    I think it would great but I don't know if the Steelers would go after him. Seems like a move they would not make. They seem like a team that would draft a QB rather than trade for one and I feel like they will play a guy like Rudolph until they find the next guy. They seem like a very patient team that way.

Rivers did let slip at one point he would like to play for a team in the south. So, I can see teams like the Panthers, Titans, Jaguars or Buccaneers being interesting to him. I think all of those teams need to look for a QB and Rivers would be a big upgrade over what they have for maybe two or three years if he wants to play that long.

It will be an interesting veteran QB market because Brady is also free to shop himself to teams and has his home in Massachusetts up for sale and has given every indication he would leave at the end of the season. The huge question for him is where would he go? I mean he supposedly would have loved to play for the 49ers but humorously Belichick sort of blocked that move by trading Jimmy G there. The way the 49ers have turned around and the defense they have I could see Brady wanting that job. He would be in a position to maybe make a run at the Super Bowl there...maybe. But that's out now because they are not going to suddenly sit Jimmy to let Tom play.

He's got a connection with the Titans because his pal coaches the team. Chances are Gronk would come back to play with him there but the Titans would still need to acquire the rights to him from the Patriots. I think Bill would let those go no problem. I think Bill wants a new QB. The Krafts of course want Brady to finish his career with the Patriots.

Eli is obviously done with the Giants, they don't need him. Newton seems done with the Panthers. Lots of veteran QBs that could step in and play a bit while a team works to develop a younger guy.

I'd love to see Rivers get a shot at a Super Bowl. The Steelers look like they may have a really good defense next season. No clue what Ben will do. He's been playing in pain for some time and has mentioned retirement. But you think the Steelers would go after Rivers? Seems like something Elway would do but not Steelers management.

14. Scott Merryfield

The Steelers normally do not go after free agents, and instead have historically built through the draft. However, for the first time since the 1960's Pittsburgh will not have a first round pick next spring. So, if Ben retires the only options available for the Steelers would be either a free agent like Rivers, Bridgewater or Newton (if he's released as expected) or riding it out with Rudolph. After watching Rudolph this season, I cannot imagine Pittsburgh considers him a viable option for the starting job next year. As you said, with their defense being hugely improved, they can be a contender next season with a decent QB. If it's not Ben, then it would have to be someone like Rivers, Bridgewater or Newton -- I don't think Eli Manning's a good option. He looks done.

15. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    He has said that he and his family would like to move back to the south eastern part of the country. I would guess he would be on the next plane if the Panthers offered him a job. I think the thing is with these older QBs teams know they have a short window with them and so I think the only teams that would bother to make a move for a Brady or Rivers are teams that think they have what they need in place to make a run at the Super Bowl. Rivers I think is ready to bolt (pun intended) from the Chargers. So, for him I think if any of the teams I mentioned showed an interest and made an offer he is out of LA for sure. If the Chargers had repeated last year's success, I think he may have hung around. They didn't, the team is back to being a bit of a mess, he's done this over and over for years...I think if he still wants to play, and he does love football, he will do it somewhere other than Los Angeles.

16. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    I hope Rivers get’s to play for a winner.

17. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    I don’t know. I’m sure the city with refurbish the stadium. Vacuum, new wallpaper, that sort of thing.;)

18. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    I’d hate seeing Brady playing for a team other than the Patriots- it just wouldn’t look or feel right. The best QB in history on arguably the
    greatest dynasty in the pros should end his career playing for 1 team.

Johnny Angell, Malcolm R and sleroi like this.
  19. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    Wentz stunk today. Yes, the Eagles don’t have any good WRs without Jeffery in the lineup, but the fumbles killed the team too. A good defensive performance wasted.

20. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Well, both the Giants and Raiders showed me they have a long way to go. This past week as soon as I read some media types buying into the Raiders, I knew that was going to become a false narrative. Not enough offensive weapons and a defense that leaks like a sieve. Jon still has some work to do with that roster. The Giants have a lot of work to do especially on defense.