1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

2019-2020 NFL Season

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Reggie W, Jul 30, 2019.

?

What team will be a surprise success this season?

Poll closed Sep 8, 2019.
  1. Cleveland Browns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Los Angeles Chargers

42.9%
  3. Chicago Bears

14.3%
  4. Indianapolis Colts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Baltimore Ravens

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Atlanta Falcons

42.9%
  8. Oakland Raiders

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Myles Garrett ought to be suspended for the rest of the season. Pouncey is going to get suspended too, but, I had no problem with him losing it on Garrett because of what Garrett did with that helmet.

2. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    Amazing what a dumpster fire the Browns are. They get a rare win, and will probably have three suspensions, because I won't be surprised if the helmet-to-helmet earlier in the game also draws at least a game. Garrett *should* be gone. I don't know if he has a history of that behavior, like the Raider whose name isn't coming to me, who was suspended for almost the entire season. No matter what happened doesn't excuse Pouncey either. It had already happened. Getting himself suspended won't change that.

ChristopherG likes this.
  3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Garrett should be banned for life from the NFL. If Rudolph hadn't ducked, and Garrett had made solid contact with that helmet on the right spot, Rudolph could be lying dead on the field.

Wonder how the NFL would respond to that? One of their QB's murdered on live TV.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert
    There is no way an offensive lineman would just walk away after seeing his QB get slugged with his own helmet by an opposing player. Pouncey deserves a suspension, but, I can understand his reaction knowing his QB suffered a serious concussion just weeks ago.

5. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    You make a point @Malcolm R . It’s never been brought up in football, but it has on hockey. When does it become an actual crime?

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I do not think Garrett has any history of this sort of action (unlike Burfict), but this act is so egregious that the NFL must come down very hard on him. Using a helmet as a weapon like that is something I can never recall seeing in the league before. Rudolph is very lucky to not have been seriously injured in the incident.

And while I am okay with Pouncey getting ejected and suspended, I agree with @Robert Crawford that his actions are at least understandable - - he was defending his teammate, who had just been assaulted in a manner unseen before in the game.

7. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Supporting Actor

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    I’d be shocked, and a little disappointed if Garrett isn’t suspended for the rest of the season. Pouncey will get 1 or 2 games- he
    did the right thing by trying to whoop Garrett’s ass for that disgrace. Teammates have to back teammates.

8. ChristopherG

ChristopherG Cinematographer

Chris
    Browns go to Pittsburgh week 13....should be interesting....

That said, what a dumpster fire that was. Truly disgusting...

9. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    My guess would be Garrett is gone for the season. I did not see the game just the highlights of the brawl and yes, the part where Garrett swings the helmet to hit Rudolph was ridiculous and makes you wonder what is wrong with him but the violent lead up to that moment where Garrett is attempting to jerk the helmet off of Mason's head was also really nasty and could have led to serious injury.

There are no excuses for Garrett and he sealed his own fate with that and with the league at least trying to portray themselves as concerned with player safety this will require a big suspension and a large fine. Basically, it should be the biggest fine ever levied on a player because honestly the only thing that hurts some of these guys is when what they did comes out of their wallet.

That said, Freddie Kitchens has zero control of this team and they are the most undisciplined team in the league, maybe that has ever set foot on an NFL playing field. Kitchens was a giant mistake as head coach and is in way over his head. The Browns desperately need to move on from him, they need a veteran coach to take over the team in a big way. I am not blaming Kitchens at all for Garrett's stupidity but it was just indicative of how this Browns team is just spiraling out of control. It will probably help Kitchens to lose Garrett because it is one less nut he has to deal with.

Jeffrey D likes this.
  10. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    He obviously has some sort of mental defect, to escalate things to that point. He has no place in the game.

Anything short of a lifetime ban sends the message that this behavior is acceptable in the game. You may get fined and suspended, but it's OK, you can yank someone around by their head and neck and bash them over the head with their own helmet, and still come back and play with us.

I think Garrett should be in jail. As noted in some news articles this morning, if the same sort of incident occurred between two average joes out on the street, the assaulter would be in jail and facing charges. And this is completely documented on national television, so there's no doubt about what happened. Slam dunk assault.

Reggie W likes this.
  11. Scott Merryfield

Equating sports to life on the street between two average Joe's just doesn't work for me. Two average Joe's are not willingly knocking around each other for 3+ hours on a field in front of 70,000 (plus millions more on TV), dressed as gladiators. Yes, tempers flare at times and ugly incidents can occur, but this is still something that can and should be handled by the league. I am a long time hockey fan, and occasionally something similarly ugly will occur and some people cry for criminal action. I think that's over the top in cases like this.

12. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    Athletes and celebrities always get a free pass. Just look at OJ Simpson.

13. Scott Merryfield

This is quite different than OJ Simpson. He murdered two people off the competitive field. This is an incident in the heat of battle in a sport being played at its highest level. One incident does not resemble the other in any way, shape or form.

Robert Crawford likes this.
  14. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Garrett suspended indefinitely. Pouncey got three games while Ogunjobi got a one game suspension. I think Ogunjobi should have received two games as the shove in the back that knocked Rudolph down when Rudolph had his back to him without his helmet was a cowardly act too.

15. Scott Merryfield

Not surprised by the indefinite suspension. Garrett will probably have apply for reinstatement in the offseason. Three games for Pouncey is a little harsh IMO considering he was defending a teammate, but it's hard to argue with the force he used, so we are splitting hairs between what I thought was worth two games at most and the three he got.

BTW, had never seen something quite like this in a hockey game, but something similar did occur in an Ontario Hockey League playoff game many years ago. The incident starts about 3:10 into the highlight clip below:

16. Robert Crawford

Robert
    If Pouncey didn't kick him in the helmet then I think it would have been two games.

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  17. Robert Crawford

Robert
    By the way, Mason Rudolph was awful last night and got his butt kicked throughout the game which is why I didn't understand Garrett's reaction with only five or so seconds left in the game.

18. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    I think Pouncey's suspension has a chance of being reduced on appeal.

Glad Garrett is suspended "indefinitely" but it still leaves the door open. He should have been banned, period. Flush him like the POS he is.

19. Scott Merryfield

I have read that Garrett has a history of lots of personal foul penalties -- more actually than Burfict (probably only because Burfict spends so much time suspended ;) ). Anyway, that will probably not help Garrett's case for getting reinstated at the beginning of next season.

20. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Supporting Actor

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    Agree about Pouncey- his should be reduced to 2 games so he won’t be playing vs. the Browns in Pittsburgh. Three games is a bit excessive, in my opinion.