What's new

2019-2020 NFL Season (1 Viewer)

What team will be a surprise success this season?

• Cleveland Browns

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Indianapolis Colts

• Tampa Bay Buccaneers

• Baltimore Ravens

• Oakland Raiders

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The Athletic writer Vincent Bonsignore linked the Chargers as a possible team that could relocate to London. Chargers owner Dean Spanos vehemently shot that article down, using big boy language. I’d be stunned if any NFL team moves to London in my lifetime- that team would make the current Browns franchise look like the current Patriots franchise- they’d look like a semi-pro team. Players wouldn’t want to play there, coaches who are worth a damn wouldn’t want to be there, and the travel demands of the team would wear everyone out.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Chargers moving to LA was a mistake, but relocating to London isn't the answer. It's too late now, but what should have happened was the Rams and Raiders play in the new LA stadium and the Chargers move to Vegas. The Chargers would have done better there, as Vegas would accept any team. In LA, they are always going to struggle to draw fans.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, right now the guy I would call "Coach of the Year" or at least "Coach of the first half of the season" is James Urban the QB coach of the Ravens. What he has done with Jackson this year is flat out astounding. Last season the kid looked like a major project and this season he is in the running for MVP. That's a huge "Wow!" and I would bet puts Urban on the hot list for future coaching jobs around the NFL. I'm sure the Browns would love to have Urban on their staff right now. Apparently coaching these "running" QBs is his specialty.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The 3 teams in the NFC that might have interest are the Redskins, Bears and Buccaneers. These are very small chances though.

The AFC teams who need a starting QB, and don’t have a young guy who the team is trying out- the Dolphins (forget it), Bengals (small chance), Steelers (maybe, if Ben decides to retire), Jaguars, and Titans (this is maybe the team that could use Cam the most).

So, if this comes to pass and the Panthers want to part ways with Newton, the veteran QB market will contain Tom Brady and Philip Rivers as well. The Titans are interesting because they need a QB and probably won't be at the top of the draft where the Bengals and Dolphins will surely draft the top two prospects. Tampa Bay will also be near the top of the draft and they too want a QB. So, the Titans could go after a veteran to play until they can draft a prospect they like.

Funny thing is, rumors link both Brady and Rivers as being interested in this job. Brady could be smoke but in his personal life he is doing everything he can to indicate he is leaving the Patriots next season...a foolish move on his part but really it is up to him. Everybody from Tom's dad to Tony Romo seem to think Brady will bail on the Patriots at the end of this season. Gronk has indicated he would make a comeback only to play with Tom and Rob would love for that to be somewhere other than New England. Could I see the Titans taking Brady and Gronk and trying for an all in Super Bowl run next season? Sure, hell they may even try to bring in Mr. Big Chest.

Point being if teams can chase Rivers, Brady, and Newton...while Newton is the youngest, he is also the least productive and mostly banged up a lot.

Of the three if I were a team looking for a veteran QB next season, I would go for Rivers. Of course Brady would make a huge splash on a new team but come on, he is currently playing on borrowed time. If he wins another Super Bowl this year he should retire on top and in decent health. Not sure why he would risk playing somewhere else.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
So, right now the guy I would call "Coach of the Year" or at least "Coach of the first half of the season" is James Urban the QB coach of the Ravens. What he has done with Jackson this year is flat out astounding. Last season the kid looked like a major project and this season he is in the running for MVP. That's a huge "Wow!" and I would bet puts Urban on the hot list for future coaching jobs around the NFL. I'm sure the Browns would love to have Urban on their staff right now. Apparently coaching these "running" QBs is his specialty.
Yes Jackson looked like he wasn’t a passing QB last year, and he looked flat-out overmatched and overwhelmed in the playoff game vs. the Chargers. I thought he wasn’t going to develop after watching that playoff loss.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Rivers 3 INTs last night in a damaging loss.
How desirable will he be when he becomes a free agent? His age and turnovers will limit how many teams will be interested. He plays more than his share of stinkers.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Talk most of the season has been that the battle for the first overall draft would be for the right to draft Tua, the Alabama QB. Well, after watching Joe Burrow help LSU beat the Tide today, I think he may be the QB teams should be coveting. He has an NFL arm, and is big and mobile. Tua's certainly no slouch, either, but this is the first time I've seen Burrow play. I'm impressed.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Burrow was impressive in today's game which turned into a shootout between LSU and Alabama. I liked his composure in the pocket and his ability to perform down the stretch in the 4th quarter. Tua was coming off an injury and it showed during certain parts of the game; but they will both go very high in the draft.

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Burrow is good, but, so is Tua, who came back just 3-4 weeks after surgery on his ankle without any real practice time and performed this well in the second half.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I didn't intend to knock Tua's abilities - - he is very talented and obviously wasn't 100% healthy against LSU. However, he has also benefitted from playing on a Bama team absolutely loaded with talent at receiver and running back. I think the choice between him and Burrow is very close, and whichever team gets 2nd choice will still be very happy.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I didn't intend to knock Tua's abilities - - he is very talented and obviously wasn't 100% healthy against LSU. However, he has also benefitted from playing on a Bama team absolutely loaded with talent at receiver and running back. I think the choice between him and Burrow is very close, and whichever team gets 2nd choice will still be very happy.
Burrow doesn't have chopped liver lining up at RB and WR. The NFL is loaded with former LSU players at those two positions. Tua and Burrow are both talented QBs that will most likely go in the first 5-6 picks in April.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I don’t follow the college game, but Alabama QBs don’t usually pan out in the NFL (besides Namath). Am I wrong?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I don’t follow the college game, but Alabama QBs don’t usually pan out in the NFL (besides Namath). Am I wrong?
Kenny Stabler and Bart Starr (going way back) also played for Alabama, but other than that you are correct. Richard Todd was a 1st round draft pick of the Jets, but never panned out, Other than that, they have not really had any QB's that were high draft picks, and Todd was way back in 1975.

Ironically, after that long drought this draft could see two former Tide QBs taken in the first round, as Jalen Hurts is lighting it up for Oklahoma after transferring from Bama.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Lions QB Stafford not playing in Chicago today. I think this puts an end to his long streak of games played.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Terrible giveaway by the Chiefs at Tennessee today- The bad snap and the intentional grounding on the FG attempt that would have
put them ahead by 8 late in the game. The Chiefs defense isn’t good enough to support Mahomes and what that offense can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks