What's new

2019-2020 NFL Season (2 Viewers)

What team will be a surprise success this season?

• Cleveland Browns

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Indianapolis Colts

• Tampa Bay Buccaneers

• Baltimore Ravens

• Oakland Raiders

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I just cannot believe a team consisting of extremely well-paid professional athletes can take the field and lay down such a huge turd as with this weeks' efforts from the Jets and the Broncos. If you're going to embarrass yourself and your fans that much, you may as well just forfeit. How does Sam Darnold, in the space of one week, go from a passer rating of 113.8 to a 3.6 ?

Still trying to figure out what this says about the Cowboys, considering the Jets beat them last week.

Patriots just added WR Sanu from the Falcons. And further evidence that Belichick's game awareness is so far ahead of any other coach:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...in-nfl-rules-to-run-extra-time-off-the-clock/

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This Sunday I get to watch Daniel Jones at QB against the Lions and to see if the Patriots stomp the Browns.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
And further evidence that Belichick's game awareness is so far ahead of any other coach:

Yes, Bill is the mad genius of pro football. He is clearly, and probably by many miles, the greatest coach of all time. I mean I love all the old school coaches and man, Lombardi was a huge part of how I fell in love with the game but Belichick is just light years past anything Lombardi did and his concepts and understanding of pro football. I think Lombardi if he were around now would love to sit and watch Belichick coach and chat with him.

It is just mindblowing what he does and how he changes things year to year and week to week all based on the players he is fielding and the competition. His defensive scheme this season has been a true work of art. Watching the Patriots play football is a true joy...unless your team is playing against them, ha.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
This Sunday I get to watch Daniel Jones at QB against the Lions and to see if the Patriots stomp the Browns.
You lucky guy. ;) We are in South Carolina right now, so I am not sure which games will be on. If the weather is nice, though, rest assured I will not be inside much watching the games.

The Patriots traded a 2nd round pick to Atlanta for Sanu. Supposedly they really wanted him in the off season. Seems like a high price for an average receiver. It should be a late 2nd rounder, though, and New England's receiving group is mediocre right now.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Daniel Jones looked like a good young QB today, but his offensive line isn't good and his defense unit is awful. Also, his HC isn't any great shakes either.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
A shame for the Bears fans that they can’t find a kicker, and their QB may never be good enough to take a team far. Yes, Trubisky put his team in the position to win, but his 2 turnovers and the blown chances in the first half were key to the loss. The fans seem to have given up on Mitchell at this point.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The 49ers look very good. The NFC playoffs are shaping up to be quite a battle - - San Fran, Minnesota, Green Bay and New Orleans all look very impressive, while the Rams, Seattle and Dallas are capable of pulling off an upset.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The Saints sure look like the most likely NFC team to get to Miami- hopefully they won’t get in their own way or the refs won’t screw them.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I still think Bill and Tom are going to retire at the same time.

Well, Bill can obviously coach for more years than Tom has left to play. The truth is I believe Bill would have already got rid of Tom had it been up to him. It was not however, the Kraft family wants Brady to retire a Patriot. I think there were some tense moments when Bill perhaps pushed toward getting rid of Tom and this is why Brady insisted on being a total free agent at the end of this season.

So, I don't think Belichick is at all tied to Brady in what he is going to do. I also think if Belichick left the Patriots to coach another team, he would take that team to the Super Bowl. If Brady leaves the Patriots over money next season...well...I think Brady would not see a Super Bowl on another team. Brady is a good player but Belichick made him what he is and had he not had Bill, I don't think he'd have had the crazy success he has had. If Bill coached a different team all these years, he'd still have a fistful of rings.

I think this season Belichick is just having too much fun. I mean I don't think I have ever seen the guy happier or looking like he is enjoying himself as much during a regular season. He is destroying teams with his defense. He is coaching with his son. I mean the guy seems to be just having a blast which normally he does not really look that way during a season.

The Patriots offense has not been good this season, this team has been all about defense. So, if Brady leaves next season, I think Bill could find another QB and get back to the Super Bowl without him.

I do think Brady will put the Patriots on the spot to play for them next season. The thing is I don't know what leverage he'll have as a free agent or who would make him an offer. A lot of people think it would be his buddy Vrabel with the Titans...which interestingly appears to also be where Philip Rivers is interested in playing his final years in the NFL. Some people think that Brady is setting it up so he and Gronk go to the Titans in 2020. Brady could likely pull that off and Vrabel would run the Brady offense no problem.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
the-year-is-2049-coach-bill-belichick-is-97-years-62411376.png

:D

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Maybe there’s still a reason to watch the Bengals this year- coach Zac Taylor has benched Dalton, and rookie Ryan Finley will be the starter. Dalton is just an average QB, so he’ll become a journeyman who’ll be a team’s stop gap for the rest of his career.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Belichick is going to coach as long as he can because he loves it with or without Brady.

When there was all that tension between Bill and Tom and by default the Krafts I thought if Bill leaves it would be fun to see him build another team. I am not sure which team Bill would agree to go to but outside of maybe the Rams and Saints every other team in the NFL would fire their head coach immediately to hire Belichick. You would be insane not to. It did seem for a while during those tense moments that Bill could possibly make a return to the Giants, the Mara family loves him and he loves them back. I would love to see Bill take over a team like the Lions or Chargers and turn around a franchise like that but I doubt those are places he would go.

The Krafts would be nuts to part ways with Belichick rather than Brady because Tom won't be playing much longer. My guess is Brady wanted to be a free agent next season because he wants to shop himself to other teams and see what they offer him, then come back to the Patriots and say "Match this or get close to it or I walk." and then wait to see who blinks. Brady does have his house in Brookline up for sale, I think he has not renewed his lease on his TB12 center in Foxborough, and he looks quite prepared to pack up and go at the end of this year. Gronk appears willing to come back and play football again and so I think Brady can sell himself and Gronk as a package as Gronk claims he will only play where Brady plays...period. Does Brady really think he can win a Super Bowl on another team though? He obviously would want to go to a team with parts in place to compete and on that his options are severely limited.

Rivers is also a free agent next season but with him, I think he is just done with the Chargers and he does not like Los Angeles at all. So, he probably will be wearing another uniform next season or maybe he will retire. Everybody, including me, thought this season would be the year the Chargers could make a Super Bowl run...and in typical Charger fashion injuries, hold outs, poor play, mistakes, a DOA offensive scheme, have led to a rough start. They are not out of it by any means but they are playing way below their talent level. I have to think Philip is disgusted with the teams performance thus far.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I do think that the narrative that the Patriots success is due all to Belichick and not at all to Brady is short sighted. I believe the two complement each other perfectly. While I highly doubt that Brady would have become what he did had he been drafted by an organization like the Lions, Jets or Browns, it's also questionable whether the Pats would have been able to find another QB with the combination of talent and intelligence to handle Belichick's weekly changing game plans based on opponent. While the team did go 11-5 with Matt Cassel at QB one year, it needs to be put in context - - that was essentially the same team Brady went 16-0 with the year before, yet they missed the playoffs with Cassel.

I don't think Brady can win another Super Bowl if he and Gronk end up in Tennessee, but that's as much because the Titans are lacking a lot more than just a QB. Now, if you put those two in someplace like Chicago, he could be the difference and have a career finale ala Manning in Denver.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Two weeks in a row the Lions play the teams I've rooted for almost my entire life. Last week it was the Giants and this week is the Raiders. If this was a few years ago, I might have gone to both games in Detroit despite both teams rebuilding, but my enjoyment of watching live sporting events has almost disappeared.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks