What's new

2019-2020 NFL Season (1 Viewer)

What team will be a surprise success this season?

• Cleveland Browns

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Indianapolis Colts

• Tampa Bay Buccaneers

• Baltimore Ravens

• Oakland Raiders

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The Lions should have won this game against the Packers, but they scored too many field goals and not enough touchdowns. However, the referees sure helped out the Packers on that last field goal drive with some very questionable penalties. BS calls to me!
Yes those illegal hands to the face calls were, to say the least, questionable, but here’s my question- I have always thought of Stafford as having the physical talent to throw the football through a cinder block wall, but unfortunately he misses the wall with his throw. In any of those 5 drives that ended in a FG, did he miss on a key throw? Unfortunately this is a typical loss for the Lions- they rarely beat a good team on the road, and they rarely win at Lambeau.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes those illegal hands to the face calls were, to say the least, questionable, but here’s my question- I have always thought of Stafford as having the physical talent to throw the football through a cinder block wall, but unfortunately he misses the wall with his throw. In any of those 5 drives that ended in a FG, did he miss on a key throw? Unfortunately this is a typical loss for the Lions- they rarely beat a good team on the road, and they rarely win at Lambeau.
That's probably true considering how long and how many times they have played each other, but if they won last night, it would've been their third straight win against Green Bay on the road.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Stafford has always been a player whose stats line is more impressive than his actual play on the field due to a lot of garbage time over the years. Many Lions fans think he's a Hall of Famer, when in reality he's an average QB who comes up short too often in big games. A team can win with him if he's surrounded with great talent, but don't expect him to carry a team like a Brady, Brees, Rodgers, etc.

I turned off last night's game after Detroit's final field goal to go up by 9 -- it's not that I was confident in a Lions win, but just that I was tired and didn't really care if they won or not. It sounds like the Packers got some huge breaks from the officials, which isn't that surprising in Lambeau. However, if the Lions offense had converted on some of the great field position that the Packers kept giving them instead of settling for 5 field goals, those calls wouldn't have mattered.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For the last several years, the Lions inability to run the football is the main thing that has held the Lions and Stafford back. There are some QBs that can over come the lack of a running game, but those great QBs are few and far between.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
With all this legalize betting going on and the sports leagues trying to capitalize on it. The NFL better be careful with this awful officiating as people and the media will start investigating and speculating whether their officials have been compromised by officials having gambling issues. Such a scandal would have a large negative impact on the NFL or any other sports league like the NBA and MLB.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
With all this legalize betting going on and the sports leagues trying to capitalize on it. The NFL better be careful with this awful officiating as people and the media will start investigating and speculating whether their officials have been compromised by officials having gambling issues. Such a scandal would have a large negative impact on the NFL or any other sports league like the NBA and MLB.
The richest league in the world employs part time officials. That tells you how much the NFL values quality officiating.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
However, if the Lions offense had converted on some of the great field position that the Packers kept giving them instead of settling for 5 field goals, those calls wouldn't have mattered.
Yes, if they'd simply finished one or two of those drives with a touchdown, the officiating becomes a moot point.

If you purposely put your team in a position to allow the officials to decide the game, you're usually going to get shafted.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Stafford has always been a player whose stats line is more impressive than his actual play on the field due to a lot of garbage time over the years. Many Lions fans think he's a Hall of Famer, when in reality he's an average QB who comes up short too often in big games. A team can win with him if he's surrounded with great talent, but don't expect him to carry a team like a Brady, Brees, Rodgers, etc.

I turned off last night's game after Detroit's final field goal to go up by 9 -- it's not that I was confident in a Lions win, but just that I was tired and didn't really care if they won or not. It sounds like the Packers got some huge breaks from the officials, which isn't that surprising in Lambeau. However, if the Lions offense had converted on some of the great field position that the Packers kept giving them instead of settling for 5 field goals, those calls wouldn't have mattered.
This is Matthew’s 11th season in Detroit, and he
has no playoff wins (until not long ago, he had no wins on the road vs. a team with a winning record). Yes, it’s not all his fault, but he deserves at least some of the blame. So the Lions fans as a whole haven’t jumped off of his band wagon?
That’s a little surprising.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
This is Matthew’s 11th season in Detroit, and he
has no playoff wins (until not long ago, he had no wins on the road vs. a team with a winning record). Yes, it’s not all his fault, but he deserves at least some of the blame. So the Lions fans as a whole haven’t jumped off of his band wagon?
That’s a little surprising.
Lions fans are a strange lot, always drinking the Honolulu Blue Kool-Aid and thinking this year things will be different -- they are just like Charlie Brown trying to kick that football. Keep in mind that as average as Stafford is as a QB, he is still by far the best QB for the franchise since at least Greg Landry in the early 1970's, or maybe even as far back as Bobby Layne in the late '50's. They've had nothing but poor to horrible players between Landry and Stafford, so he's been embraced despite his mediocrity. It's been an incredibly long run of bad quarterbacks in Motown.

Speaking of drinking the Kool-Aid, we were in Key West back in February and I was talking with some Cleveland Browns fans at a bar on the day they signed Kareem Hunt. They sounded exactly like the Lions fans I have been listening to and laughing at all these years, convinced that this signing, along with Mayfield and Beckham, were going to lead them to a Super Bowl this season. I even told them they sounded just like the Lions fans back home.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Hope springs eternal for football fans and their franchises. I was fooled by the Cowboys' performance against mediocre competition early in the season and then reality set in. :)

Pretty much in agreement with Scott regarding Stafford. IIRC, a lot of his stats have been derived from comeback attempts with the Lions trailing by large margins. (The sorts of situations where prevent defenses were sometimes employed and passing attempts comprise almost all of the offensive play selection.)

- Walter.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Rams gave up a lot for Ramsey - - two first round picks and another later round pick. They also have a lot of salary cap tied up in five players - - $109M in Goff, Gurley, Donald, Cooks and Ramsey for 2020. Brandin Cooks will probably be playing for his fourth team next season.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The Rams gave up a lot for Ramsey - - two first round picks and another later round pick. They also have a lot of salary cap tied up in five players - - $109M in Goff, Gurley, Donald, Cooks and Ramsey for 2020. Brandin Cooks will probably be playing for his fourth team next season.
The Rams are really trying to win now, future be damned. A ton of money tied up in a few players, and no first round picks until 2022. Interesting to see how full that new stadium will be when the Rams erode into a mediocre or bad team (it won’t be at capacity).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Wow, the NFL might have lost one of their biggest stars with the Mahomes injury. I hope he didn't sustain any knee ligament damage because it would probably mean he's done for the season.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Wow, the NFL might have lost one of their biggest stars with the Mahomes injury. I hope he didn't sustain any knee ligament damage because it would probably mean he's done for the season.
Mahomes is scheduled to have an MRI today. Like you, I hope he gets good news. It would be a shame to see his season end, as he's such a dynamic player, and seems like a good guy, too.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Reading the early speculation this morning, they've said the "best case" scenario with Mahomes would be no additional damage to the knee, but he'd still be out three weeks.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Looks like the Chiefs dodge a bullet with Mahomes. I suspect he's out for a month or so, but I do wonder how restrictive his mobility will be when he comes back as having a knee cap dislocation is no laughing matter.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Looks like the Chiefs dodge a bullet with Mahomes. I suspect he's out for a month or so, but I do wonder how restrictive his mobility will be when he comes back as having a knee cap dislocation is no laughing matter.
Hopefully Mahomes can make it through the season with this liability. The NFL is much more entertaining when he's playing.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Unfortunately it’s the SOL (same old Lions)- false start on a 56 yard FG attempt means they have to punt. Brutal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks