What's new

2019-2020 NFL Season (1 Viewer)

What team will be a surprise success this season?

• Cleveland Browns

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Indianapolis Colts

• Tampa Bay Buccaneers

• Baltimore Ravens

• Oakland Raiders

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Burfict suspension upheld upon appeal. Wow, I am surprised, but glad, the suspension was upheld. If any player deserved a season-long suspension, it's Burfict.
His appeal was heard by Derrick Brooks, who had previously refused to reduce a 3-game suspension for Burfict, so he seems to understand the seriousness of Burfict's mental defect when it comes to hurting other players. For a change, the appeals officer was more concerned about the victims (past and potential future) rather than the offender.

We can only hope that when the suspension is over, and Burfict becomes a free agent in March, teams will ignore him and keep him out of the league permanently since the NFL administration cannot seem to come to that decision through common sense.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
His appeal was heard by Derrick Brooks, who had previously refused to reduce a 3-game suspension for Burfict, so he seems to understand the seriousness of Burfict's mental defect when it comes to hurting other players. For a change, the appeals officer was more concerned about the victims (past and potential future) rather than the offender.

We can only hope that when the suspension is over, and Burfict becomes a free agent in March, teams will ignore him and keep him out of the league permanently since the NFL administration cannot seem to come to that decision through common sense.
Doesn’t seem likely that Burfict will be signed- his next infraction will be another season-ending suspension. If he plays, he’ll play for a bad team-
what good team would trust a ticking time bomb?

Scuttlebutt is Bengals WR A.J. Green could be traded. Makes sense- final year of his contract, and the Bengals aren’t going anywhere any time soon. Gil Brandt thinks the Patriots are a good fit.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
No wonder Tampa is a perpetual 5-11 team- they just can’t make a play when it’s there for them
(the Evans dropped bomb). Jameis won’t be there next year- he turns the ball over too much, and it looks like he gets too rattled and indecisive when under pressure.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Don't the Chargers have any fans in Los Angeles? About 70% of the fans at tonight's game are wearing Steelers colors. I do not recall ever seeing a home team having the minority of fans in it's own stadium.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Don't the Chargers have any fans in Los Angeles? About 70% of the fans at tonight's game are wearing Steelers colors. I do not recall ever seeing a home team having the minority of fans in it's own stadium.
Sure sounded like there were a lot of Cowboys fans at the Meadowlands yesterday too.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Lifelong diehard Chargers fan who lives in Texas and I almost started rooting for the Steelers last night.

I know the Chargers are plagued with injuries, but they have zero depth. That O line was horrid. Travis Benjamin was horrid. And they just abandoned Ekeler for Gordon. Gordon only ended his hold out because he had to be on the roster to get paid, he doesnt want to be there and looked like someone who hasnt played or practiced in a few months.

I cant imagine Bosa wanting to re-sign when his contract is up.

The only bright spot was the return of Hunter Henry.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If the Chargers can only fill less than a third of that tiny temporary stadium with their fans (they couldn't have had more than 8,000 last night), what's going to happen when they move to their new stadium next season? Visiting teams are not going to fill that many available seats.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
That was a problem, though not so severe, in San Diego. It didn't matter who was visiting, their fans were in the stadium. Pittsburg in particular.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If the Chargers can only fill less than a third of that tiny temporary stadium with their fans (they couldn't have had more than 8,000 last night), what's going to happen when they move to their new stadium next season? Visiting teams are not going to fill that many available seats.
That's a big problem. It's going to happen with the Raiders in Vegas to a certain degree except Raider Nation will travel to Vegas to see them play there. I plan on doing so as one of my bucket list items.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
That's a big problem. It's going to happen with the Raiders in Vegas to a certain degree except Raider Nation will travel to Vegas to see them play there. I plan on doing so as one of my bucket list items.
Yes, Raiders fans travel, and California's not that far from Vegas. I don't think things will be as bad for the Raiders as the Chargers in LA.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
There are already indications that the Chargers will not sell many tickets even in the new stadium, selling only 25% of the expected personal seat licenses:

The Los Angeles Chargers are still a season away from moving into a new football stadium in Inglewood, California, but there is an indication that revenue for the NFL team may not be as rosy as has been projected.

To help finance SoFi Stadium, the Chargers, who will be co-tenants with the Los Angeles Rams, are expected to kick in $400 million from the sale of personal seat licenses. PSLs give their owners the right to buy season tickets. But the Chargers are reportedly currently $300 million short of that projection.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There are already indications that the Chargers will not sell many tickets even in the new stadium, selling only 25% of the expected personal seat licenses:
NFL fans should have shoved those PSL up the NFL owners asses when they started that BS.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
NFL fans should have shoved those PSL up the NFL owners asses when they started that BS.
It's happening elsewhere, too. The University of Michigan instituted PSLs a few years ago for football season tickets. My friend with season tickets that I go to games with as his guest isn't sure how many more years they will continue to buy season tickets. He has a set of four tickets with his old college roommates, and it's the main way they still see each other (two of the guys live in northern Michigan now). If not for that, he would have given them up already.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Let's face it, sports businesses get away with such practices because the consumer base allows them to get away with it. They count on us not sticking to our principles when it comes to our sports fandom.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Let's face it, sports businesses get away with such practices because the consumer base allows them to get away with it. They count on us not sticking to our principles when it comes to our sports fandom.
I agree 100%. I am better at sticking to my resolutions, but most fans just keep putting up with it and shelling out the money.

Personally, I haven't watched a single MLB game (in person or on TV) since the strike in '94 -- after attending a lot of games at the old Tiger Stadium, the only sporting event I've attended in the new Comerica Park is an outdoor Ontario Hockey League game. I stopped going to Detroit Lions games back in the Matt Millen era -- even when the Steelers come to town. My new resolution is not attending any more Detroit Red Wings games at the new arena -- I usually only went when Montreal came to town unless I got free tickets anyway. Prices are too high, and the upper bowl seats are incredibly uncomfortable.

Along with the above, I'm pretty much done with attending big sporting events in person anyway. The prices are ridiculous, and it's become too much of a hassle with long bathroom lines and traffic. It's much more comfortable watching the games on my 70-inch 4K display in my cozy recliner, with great beer in the fridge, no line for the bathroom and free parking.

My live sports at this point is just our season tickets to USA Hockey's National Team Development Program. The arena is 5 minutes from home, and two center ice seats for a 36 game season cost less than attending two Red Wings games -- and I get a free parking pass and can turn in unused tickets for additional tickets to other games (so friends can come with us for free). We see a lot of future NHL talent, and each ticket costs us less than a movie ticket.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I agree 100%. I am better at sticking to my resolutions, but most fans just keep putting up with it and shelling out the money.

Personally, I haven't watched a single MLB game (in person or on TV) since the strike in '94 -- after attending a lot of games at the old Tiger Stadium, the only sporting event I've attended in the new Comerica Park is an outdoor Ontario Hockey League game. I stopped going to Detroit Lions games back in the Matt Millen era -- even when the Steelers come to town. My new resolution is not attending any more Detroit Red Wings games at the new arena -- I usually only went when Montreal came to town unless I got free tickets anyway. Prices are too high, and the upper bowl seats are incredibly uncomfortable.

Along with the above, I'm pretty much done with attending big sporting events in person anyway. The prices are ridiculous, and it's become too much of a hassle with long bathroom lines and traffic. It's much more comfortable watching the games on my 70-inch 4K display in my cozy recliner, with great beer in the fridge, no line for the bathroom and free parking.

My live sports at this point is just our season tickets to USA Hockey's National Team Development Program. The arena is 5 minutes from home, and two center ice seats for a 36 game season cost less than attending two Red Wings games -- and I get a free parking pass and can turn in unused tickets for additional tickets to other games (so friends can come with us for free). We see a lot of future NHL talent, and each ticket costs us less than a movie ticket.
I view that 1994 baseball strike as something totally different than these PSLs which I view as more of a consumer/season ticket holder shakedown.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Man, I have to agree with you as the officials are throwing far too many flags as they're constantly interrupting the flow of the game.
The Lions should have won this game against the Packers, but they scored too many field goals and not enough touchdowns. However, the referees sure helped out the Packers on that last field goal drive with some very questionable penalties. BS calls to me!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks