What's new

2019-2020 NFL Season (1 Viewer)

What team will be a surprise success this season?

• Cleveland Browns

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Indianapolis Colts

• Tampa Bay Buccaneers

• Baltimore Ravens

• Oakland Raiders

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Damn, the Giants might have found their next franchise QB.;) A lot more to see before we know, but he's off to a good start.

He sure looked good and gave that DOA offense a huge jump start...and this with Barkley injured as well. He is certainly a much more dynamic player than Eli and I hope he continues to play well.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I was discussing Antonio Brown with a close friend who is a Central Michigan alumnus and whose college roommate still has close ties with the athletic program. According to his college buddy, Brown was well liked at CMU. He had been homeless for a couple of years before entering college, and was genuinely appreciative of the opportunity CMU gave him.

So it still begs the question as to what happened. His erratic behavior seemed to start soon after Pittsburgh gave Brown his first contract extension, picking him over then #1 WR Mike Wallace, who they let walk in free agency. Ego, head injury, mental illness?

Well, the wonderful news is Brown claims to be retired from NFL football. So, hopefully we don't have to hear about his stupidity anymore.

As to what happened to him? Probably, as Bill Murray and I am sure others have said, fame and money can turn people into real assholes. If you are lucky it is just a phase but some go down that rabbit hole for good. I think in terms of character, Brown is just a bad guy. The list of stuff he did over the years he played for the Steelers is horrific. Kind of shows how much that team has been willing to swallow for years to attempt to win football games. Also it just seems like, as there once was on the Vikings, there was just a bad culture on the Steelers and so surrounded by a lot of a-holes Brown just acted like one as well.

Brown to me, has always just come across as a guy that is mentally 5 years old. He seems to have have always acted that way. It got worse as he seemed to be elevated by others calling him "the best" at his position and his sense of selfishness at that point just took over.

I don't think he understands that all the people that have taken an interest in him have only done so due to his ability to play football and once he stops playing...a lot of those folks will stop paying attention to him. Hopefully, for his family, he invested wisely what he earned over the years with the Steelers but "wisely" and Antonio Brown do not seem to belong in the same sentence.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
So, this week's Thursday Night Football is the first ever NFL game broadcast in 4k. Anybody watch it that way?

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I am watching it in 4k, but unfortunately even though LG announced two years ago that they were adding hlg support to my tv (2016 uh8500), they never did.

There is a slight uptick in resolution and slightly better colors, mostly noticeable in Troy and Buck's suits in the pregame, and the grass on the field looks a little sharper.

The odd thing is that they arent broadcasting the commercials so every few plays the tv just goes to a silent screen. Its kind of jarring.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
HLG lacks metadata so there's a posibility your tv actually does support but it wont trigger the tv's own decoder since its passive HDR.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am at my parents in northern Michigan, so couldn't watch the game in 4K. For those who got HDR, how did the video look compared with a normal HD broadcast? Will Amazon be showing future Thursday night games in 4K? I hope I didn't miss my one opportunity to check it out.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I am at my parents in northern Michigan, so couldn't watch the game in 4K. For those who got HDR, how did the video look compared with a normal HD broadcast? Will Amazon be showing future Thursday night games in 4K? I hope I didn't miss my one opportunity to check it out.
You didn't miss your only opportunity. I advise many of us to read the following articles, particularly as it pertains to 4K/HDR in the last two articles.

https://www.foxsports.com/presspass...-football-4k-ultra-high-definition-first-time

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/fox-sports-thursday-night-football-4k-hdr/

https://hd-report.com/2019/09/26/fox-sports-broadcasting-1st-nfl-game-in-4k-hdr-sort-of/

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Yes, the 2016 LG OLEDs got the hlg update, but not the super uhd lcds. If I could have waited 6 more months I would have purchased one, but I didnt want to risk not getting a 3D tv and got a great deal on my set at NFM.

And from what I understand all of the rest of the Thursday night games are going to be broadcast in 4k, at least on direcTV.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Last night, I watched the game on DirecTV channel 105. Next week, I'm going to watch it on AppleTV for comparison reasons. I think it looks more detail with more vibrant colors, but last night's broadcast didn't look as good as the 4K broadcast I observed a few weeks ago on the same channel 105, when it was a Notre Dame football game. That game happened to take place in the daytime though.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the way, last night's game was my first NFL game this year that I watched from the beginning to the end.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks, Robert. Those last two articles seem to indicate that the Amazon Prime app is not transmitting in 4K / HDR. I do have Fox Sports app loaded on both my Apple TV 4K and Roku Ultra, so I can try that. My Xfinity X1 box is not 4K, so that's not an option.

Edit: looking through the specs online for my Vizio M70-D3 from 2016, it may not support HLG (it supports both HDR10 and Dolby Vision). Not sure if HLG was added with one of the firmware updates, though.

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
FTR my TCL doesn't officially support HLG (and watching DirecTV's 4K content doesn't trip the HDR flag), and yet...it works.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Sure looks like Bills QB Josh Allen can’t play. The search continues for a QB in Buffalo.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I thought I read somewhere that the NFL had eliminated its restriction on TV doubleheaders when the local team was playing at home -- i.e. the networks could now have a doubleheader. Well, today the Lions are at home and all we have for televised games is Chargers - Lions at 1pm and Chicago - Denver at 4pm. I guess I will catch up on my reading instead until we head out to meet some friends for dinner.

Okay, now I am really confused. After not getting a doubleheader because the Lions were at home earlier this season, today we did get one. The Lions were at home versus KC at 1pm on Fox, and the Pats - Bills were being shown opposite that game on CBS. At 4pm, we still are getting the Vikings and Bears on CBS. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks