1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

2019-2020 NFL Season

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Reggie W, Jul 30, 2019.

?

What team will be a surprise success this season?

Poll closed Sep 8, 2019.
  1. Cleveland Browns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Los Angeles Chargers

42.9%
  3. Chicago Bears

14.3%
  4. Indianapolis Colts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Baltimore Ravens

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Atlanta Falcons

42.9%
  8. Oakland Raiders

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    The Steelers lost Roethlisberger for the rest of the season as he undergoes elbow surgery. As I stated beforehand, the increased number of injuries to key players have dampen my interest in the NFL. Also, Brees will undergo surgery on his thumb and he's lost for six weeks or so.

2. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Supporting Actor

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    Yes the Steelers are done, and the Saints are likely done too. Sure looks like the Ravens won’t have much competition for the AFC North (maybe the Browns can push them, but I’m not sure about that).

3. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    I saw most of this game because I am in Boston and this was the 1pm tilt. So, the Dolphins have no offense. I mean none. There just is nothing going on there and they have not a single guy that can make a play. Yes, they were playing the Patriots and yes, Belichick has decided to run that Patriots defense this season...and honestly they look like maybe the best defense the Patriots have ever fielded so far...but there is just no talent on the Dolphins offense. Their O-line is made up of guys that are third stringers. Rosen looks obviously better than Fitzpatrick, who honestly was just dreadful yesterday, and throws a much better ball and plainly has the better arm. Problem is that line can't protect either one of them so every play is a slaughter. Rosen can move a bit too, Fitz is a statue.

On defense you can see the Dolphins have a plan, it is basically the Patriots defensive scheme, but due to the fact they are just learning it and also lack talent things are all uphill. I think they could as the season goes on show some improvements on defense and maybe have a good game here and there but on offense...well...it's a black hole. I don't see that getting better this season no matter who plays QB. I imagine that is why they started Fitz, they know whomever is playing QB in this offense is screwed.

The Patriots offense looked on cruise control. They even ran some plays that looked like they were intentionally trying not to run the score up too much. Fitz ruined that though by throwing some truly horrid interceptions.

Yes, Antonio Brown was on the field. He did nothing bizarre during the game, he looked fine, and they threw to him 8 times and he caught 4 balls including a TD. It looked like he was running a limited package of routes and it also looks like he won't be any sort of focus of their offense.

There is a rumor that due to an article in Sports Illustrated the Patriots are having discussions about releasing Brown.

What can Brown do for you?

4. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    What’s the point of playing Stinky Fitz? I would
    think the Dolphins fans want to see what Rosen looks like, and if he can handle a baptism by fire.

5. Message #185 of 303 Sep 16, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Yes, that puts an end to Pittsburgh's season. Maybe they will lose enough games to get a high draft pick and can select Roethlisberger's replacement. Mason Rudolph gets this season to show what he can do at the position.

Jeffrey D likes this.
  6. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    I think the Dolphins are just letting Fitz take the beating so Rosen does not have to. It will be hard to really evaluate Rosen because he has nobody to throw to, no offensive line, this offense is an abomination. I think the best that could happen for Rosen right now is one of these teams that has lost a QB trades for him...the one that would be perfect for him would be the Jaguars. Foles is no solution there anyway, more of a stopgap. So, they would make sense...to me anyway.

The idea that the Dolphins traded for this kid is awful as the Dolphins have brought him onto a horrible team, they have traded everybody that may have helped him, they are tanking their season and they are going to probably draft one of the top QB prospects in 2020. So, Rosen is just in a horrid position in Miami.

7. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    Eli is now the backup QB, behind Jones. Barring injury or Jones looking overwhelmed or
    overmatched, Eli has taken his last snap at
    the Meadowlands. I doubt any team will trade for him, so he’ll retire as a career Giant.

8. Scott Merryfield

The Steelers made a curious trade, sending their 2020 first round pick to Miami for 22 year old defensive back Minkah Fitzpatrick. He graded out exceptionally well as a rookie last season, and wanted out of the crapfest in Miami. Supposedly the Chiefs also offered a first round pick, but the Dolphins expect the Steelers pick to be higher (gee, no kidding). This is a gamble for Pittsburgh if their season goes completely in the tank and the pick ends up being in the top 5, but their secondary did need the infusion of talent.

Meanwhile, Miami continues to sell off the few quality players they have remaining. Pretty soon they will be suiting up a german shepherd to play a position. I have seen NHL teams tank (although with their draft lottery, I never understood why), but have never seen an NFL team deliberately throw the season like Miami is doing.

9. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    The Steelers haven’t had a stud at CB for a long time, so this was a good move, IMO. That defense hasn’t really been the same since Troy Palamalu retired.

10. Robert Crawford

Robert
    As as a Giants fan, it was the right decision. Eli doesn't have a future with this team and it's very important to give Jones as much experience as possible in 2019. The Giants suck will win, maybe, four games maximum in 2019. Their defense is horrible without any pass rush with some inexperience defensive backs. Frankly, I hope the Giants finish with less than four wins as I want them within the top 2 or 3 picks because they need to rebuild through the draft. IMO, 2020 will be another rebuilding year, but they need some incremental improvement in 2020, with better drafts and free agent signings.

11. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    They now have a good young RB, and a young QB that will play at least 3 years for future evaluation. They should get the best offensive and defensive lineman that they can get their hands on- the front lines are still the most important units of an NFL team.

Robert Crawford likes this.
  12. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I can't disagree. The Giants leadership finally made a correct decision in changing QBs. I just hope they can make more correct decisions, particularly, on draft day.

13. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Oddly, after the first week of play Deion Sanders said that Roethlisberger would retire before this season ended. Claimed Ben was done and had lost the will to play football.

I can't stand Sanders but was he breaking a story here?

14. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    Very possible. Some think Ben came into the Seahawks game with the bad elbow. I agree with the thought that he will retire.

15. Message #195 of 303 Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Scott Merryfield

This weekend has two games in which teams are 20+ point underdogs -- Miami +21.5 at Dallas, and the Jets +22.5 versus New England. That's two AFC East teams. The Pats, as usual, have zero competition in their division and a free pass to the playoffs.

16. Robert Crawford

Robert
    That's always been the clear advantage that Belichick and the Patriots have enjoyed during their long run, the pure incompetence of the other teams in that division for over 15 years.

Jeffrey D and Scott Merryfield like this.
  17. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Miami just is a horrible team and continue to search for ways to ship out whatever players they have. They should set some records this season as they are worse than any expansion team and maybe even worse than the squads the NFL fielded during the strike shortened season. The Jets are now starting the back-up to the back-up at QB against a Patriots defense that through two games has only allowed 3 points and amazingly only one trip by an opposing offense into the red zone.

There are two games that should be fun to watch this weekend though, Ravens at Chiefs and Rams at Browns. These games should tell us a lot about the AFC North.

Sadly, being in Boston and having cancelled Sunday ticket before last season, I get that wonderful Jets at Patriots game, which certainly stacks up like it will be another slaughter.

I probably will only be watching the Rams at Browns on Sunday night this weekend.

18. Scott Merryfield

We are just entering Week 3, and it's astounding how many teams are already playing their backup QBs for various reasons -- Colts, Jaguars, Jets, Steelers, Saints, Giants, and maybe Panthers. That's 22% of the teams, and only 1/8th of the regular season has been played.

19. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    I think the Redskins will be replacing Keenum with Haskins in the near future too.

20. Scott Merryfield

Yes, and Miami could replace Fitzpatrick with Rosen, too. Those are probably the only likely other benchings for the rest of the season.