2019-2020 MLB Hot Stove

Mike Frezon

Reaction score
I'm gonna need to have my son come over to watch Game #7 of the 1997 WS (Marlins/Indians) together (via MLB.com).

When that game was played, he was just seven years old. So he was in 2nd grade. He turns 30 this summer--an old man! The game started at 8pm (thanks MLB...). So I was more than willing to let him stay up for game #7 and miss school the next day, but he couldn't make it. So I scored the game after he fell asleep and went through the rest of the game with him batter-by-batter the next morning. It's a special memory.

But with the void created by the absence, it would be a good game for us to watch together. :D

Reactions: Osato

Osato

Producer
Reaction score
I'm gonna need to have my son come over to watch Game #7 of the 1997 WS (Marlins/Indians) together (via MLB.com).

When that game was played, he was just seven years old. So he was in 2nd grade. He turns 30 this summer--an old man! The game started at 8pm (thanks MLB...). So I was more than willing to let him stay up for game #7 and miss school the next day, but he couldn't make it. So I scored the game after he fell asleep and went through the rest of the game with him batter-by-batter the next morning. It's a special memory.

But with the void created by the absence, it would be a good game for us to watch together. :D
that was a great ending to that game as well.

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The 2020 MLB season is questionable, but another top pitcher has to have TJS. Noah Syndergaard joins Sale and Severino.
Yes he’s projected to miss the first half of next season too. Even if the Mets wanted to trade him before he became a free agent to get something in return for him, they can’t now- he’s not tradeable.

Osato

Producer
Reaction score
Yes he’s projected to miss the first half of next season too. Even if the Mets wanted to trade him before he became a free agent to get something in return for him, they can’t now- he’s not tradeable.
ouch! Tough break for the Mets.

I hope Noah can recover well and that we have baseball in 2020.

I watched the Mets Twins game that I saw last July last night.

MartinP.

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Martin
So, the MLB owners and the Players Association reached an agreement last week stating that, if there is no season, players would still get credit for a full year of service time. That means Mookie Betts is a free agent after this season and that he could end up playing ZERO games for the Dodgers. So it's possible we may have given up three good young players (Alex Verdugo, Connor Wong, and Jeter Downs) and taken on a lot of salary for basically nothing! Not only that, some core players are hitting free agency at the same time: Justin Turner, Kiké Hernández, Joc Pederson, and Pedro Báez.

WTF! Not to mention, what happens with the L.A. All-Star Game?

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
So, the MLB owners and the Players Association reached an agreement last week stating that, if there is no season, players would still get credit for a full year of service time. That means Mookie Betts is a free agent after this season and that he could end up playing ZERO games for the Dodgers. So it's possible we may have given up three good young players (Alex Verdugo, Connor Wong, and Jeter Downs) and taken on a lot of salary for basically nothing! Not only that, some core players are hitting free agency at the same time: Justin Turner, Kiké Hernández, Joc Pederson, and Pedro Báez.

WTF! Not to mention, what happens with the L.A. All-Star Game?
Safe to say at this point that there will be no all-star game this year. Who knows when the season will start (June at the earliest), so it’s going to be too difficult to set aside 3 or 4 open days in the schedule to have it. That’s my take.

LouA

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
My wife and I have a 20 game /ticket plan to attend Yankee's games this year . I'm wondering how truncated the season will be , and how many of those 20 games we'll be able to attend . I'm guessing that if the virus subsides it will be half of a season , beginning where the all-star game would normally be - perhaps 10 games .

ManW_TheUncool

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
ManW
There's also fair likelihood that some games will initially be played w/ no fan attendance at all, so... In fact, wonder if it might even end up being most, if not all, games that way... or maybe they'd only get safe enough, acceptable attendance to max out at 50%, 25% or even just 10% depending on how things turn out throughout the summer...

I generally prefer to watch games on (live) TV/stream most times anyway, but yeah, definitely hope things will improve enough to allow baseball to return this summer and some amount of attendance to be possible (and safe enough)...

I'm also itching to get back to my salary dynasty league... where I finally bid Trout a fond farewell (after doing similarly w/ Mookie last year)...

_Man_

Osato

Producer
Reaction score
I’m hoping mlb will post the 1973 World Series.

I think there’s one of the 74 games out there.

I also should watch the Johan Santana no hitter from 2012. They ran the Len dykstra walk off game from the Astros series in 1986.

I also watched the 2015 NLDS against the Dodgers. Great game even when DeGrom wasn’t at his best he hung in there.

Tino

Executive Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Valentino
I don’t think any games will be played this year.

Osato

Producer
Reaction score
I kind of feel that way but I’ve decided that we will know around June or so.

I have enjoyed having an excuse to watch older games again but it’s no substitute for the 2020 season.

ManW_TheUncool

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
ManW
Well, if so, it certainly won't be for lack of trying by all (directly) involved...

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer
Reaction score
I rarely post in the MLB threads, as I haven't followed the sport since the strike / lockout in 1994. However, today one of my childhood heroes passed away -- Al Kaline. For the past 60+ years, this gracious, humble man was the Detroit Tigers. This area has lost a wonderful person.

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
I rarely post in the MLB threads, as I haven't followed the sport since the strike / lockout in 1994. However, today one of my childhood heroes passed away -- Al Kaline. For the past 60+ years, this gracious, humble man was the Detroit Tigers. This area has lost a wonderful person.
Sad news indeed. He and his teammates broke my heart in 1968. Freaking Curt Flood losing that ball in the sun.:D

Reactions: Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Sad news indeed. He and his teammates broke my heart in 1968. Freaking Curt Flood losing that ball in the sun.:D
That World Series victory meant so much to this city in 1968 due to the riots that were endured that year. I was only 6 years old, and barely remember it. I do remember the last out, and some player (Bill Freehan, I think) jumping into Mickey Lolich's arms. My grandmother was staying with us while my dad and grandfather were deer hunting (I started going with them the next year), and her and my mother went crazy.

So, you are a Cardinals fan along with being a Yankees fan?

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
That World Series victory meant so much to this city in 1968 due to the riots that were endured that year. I was only 6 years old, and barely remember it. I do remember the last out, and some player (Bill Freehan, I think) jumping into Mickey Lolich's arms. My grandmother was staying with us while my dad and grandfather were deer hunting (I started going with them the next year), and her and my mother went crazy.

So, you are a Cardinals fan along with being a Yankees fan?
Bob Gibson was my childhood hero and remains my favorite baseball player of all-time. Even though I am a life-long Yankees fan, I actually rooted against the Yankees in 1964, when the Cardinals beat them. You have to remember the times back then during the Civil Rights era and no free agency. Fans, especially, kid fans had allegiances to certain players. Once Gibson retired, that was the end of my Cardinals fandom.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frugalfart