What's new

2019 16" Macbook Pro buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The thing I was 2nd most looking forward to, behind a decent GPU, is TouchID and it doesn’t work a damn with my fingerprints. This feature is a total bust for me. I reset it every few weeks and it works for a day or two then never again.
Weird! Did TouchID on the iPhone work for you? I'd have thought it was same system, same hardware.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hmm...TouchID has been working for me. My old POS work laptop (Dell or HP I think) had a fingerprint sensor that never worked for me. :rolling-smiley:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Touch ID has worked flawlessly on every Macbook Pro I have owned since it was introduced.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
OK let's try this again.

@Ronald Epstein Consider yourself lucky, not that the tech is flawless for everyone. There is just a subset of people like me for whom TouchID does not work well. It was inconsistant at best on my phones too.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
OK let's try this again.

@Ronald Epstein Consider yourself lucky, not that the tech is flawless for everyone. There is just a subset of people like me for whom TouchID does not work well. It was inconsistant at best on my phones too.

I have no explanation other than El Cuco is impersonating Sam...:lol:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
@Sam Posten If you haven't been watching The Outsider on HBO (and if you're a King fan) you really should start. Good time to get into it, since the penultimate episode was yesterday, so if you start now you won't have to wait long for the completion of the series!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Mendelsohn is wonderful in it, as is Cynthia Erivo. Bateman is great too (and he directed the first two episodes). And it does what every good series and film needs to do in order to be good: hire really good surrounding talent that sell the audience of the time and place in which the story takes place.

Dennis Lehane wrote a few of the screenplays and his deft touch elevates those episodes.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Rumor is, they are going to announce new M2 Macbook Pros and M2 Mini today

Last edited:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
If anyone ends up buying one of the new MBPs and has an Apple Music subscription, I'd like to know the following things before I decide to buy one. If someone would be willing to test after they get theirs that would be appreciated:
  • Can you output high resolution lossless audio from Apple Music subscription through the HDMI port to an AVR and get the full HRL signal (e.g. 24-bit, 96 or 192 kHz). Currently on my 2019 MBP and 2020 M1 Macbook via USB-C you have to use an external DAC between the Mac and the AVR.
  • Can you output Atmos from Apple Music via the HDMI to an Atmos capable AVR? Some albums on Apple Music (best example is Abbey Road, by The Beatles) have a Spatial Audio mix (which is essentially Atmos) so can that Atmos signal be output from Apple Music on a MBP to an Atmos receiver properly?
    • As a corollary, if you can stream Atmos/Spatial Audio from a Macbook Pro to an AVR, does it support gapless playback? Easiest test is the aforementioned Abbey Road album. Make sure it's playing in Atmos through the AVR, then go to Mean Mr. Mustard and let it play. It's only a minute long. It should seamlessly blend into Polythene Pam (also about a minute long) and that should seamlessly blend into She Came In Through The Bathroom Window. The band never stops playing. But when listening to that album in Atmos on the two newest Apple TV 4Ks connected via HDMI to a Denon 4400, 4500 or 3800 (I tested on all three using 48GBps Zeskit HDMI cables) there are audio dropouts between those songs.
Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks